The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

6 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Swear, I know a little about it from some rides at Disney and etc etc, but I've never sat down and watched any of the movies. Closest I've come is spaceballs 

Spaceballs was way better.  (Mel Brooks is a true national treasure that would not be allowed to make at least 1/2 of his movies today.)  But still; blowing off all 9 movies is waaaaaay harder than just blowing off ET or the Goonies.  (Didn't watch Raiders until about 10 years after it came out either; but did eventually watch it, and it was pretty decent.)

On 6/1/2024 at 7:34 PM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

..... I've never watched star wars.... 

The first one I watched was The Empire Strikes Back, and that was at a drive-in (i.e., not first run) and I wasn't even that interested in the movie (if you know what I mean). 

I didn't watch A New Hope in its first run because I saw it as a "kiddie movie" (probably owing to the marketing of Star Wars merch during Saturday morning cartoons).  At 14 years old when it came out, I was "too old" for that stuff.

On 6/3/2024 at 9:26 AM, Doohickie said:

The first one I watched was The Empire Strikes Back, and that was at a drive-in (i.e., not first run) and I wasn't even that interested in the movie (if you know what I mean). 

I didn't watch A New Hope in its first run because I saw it as a "kiddie movie" (probably owing to the marketing of Star Wars merch during Saturday morning cartoons).  At 14 years old when it came out, I was "too old" for that stuff.

I have no clue what this "A New Hope" thing is.  I have seen Star Wars though.

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

I have no clue what this "A New Hope" thing is.  I have seen Star Wars though.

Each of the Star Wars movies has a subtitle.  The first film, commonly known as Star Wars, is "Episode 4:  A New Hope"

The whole concept was a trilogy of trilogies, nine films altogether, and they jumped in at Episode 4.  Episodes 1-3 are the prequels with Young Annakin.

40 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Each of the Star Wars movies has a subtitle.  The first film, commonly known as Star Wars, is "Episode 4:  A New Hope"

The whole concept was a trilogy of trilogies, nine films altogether, and they jumped in at Episode 4.  Episodes 1-3 are the prequels with Young Annakin.

It’s called Star Wars. Screw this revisionist crap that Lucas used as a new paycheck. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, shrader said:

It’s called Star Wars. Screw this revisionist crap that Lucas used as a new paycheck. 

Really, comes down to: did the scroll at the beginning say "Episode IV: A New Hope" in the original run?

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, MattPie said:

Really, comes down to: did the scroll at the beginning say "Episode IV: A New Hope" in the original run?

It did.  But even when they were putting those movies out as a video tape boxed set, that movie was called "Star Wars."  The only place that "Episode IV: A New Hope appeared was at the beginning of the crawl after both "A long time ago in a galaxy far way" followed by "STAR WARS" had gone away.  Neither was a part of the crawl.

And as you are well aware, the other 2 in that trilogy were simply called "The Empire Strikes Back" and "the Return of the Jedi."  Their logos had VERY small outlines of the words Star Wars around the boldly proclaimed main title.  But nobody called them Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back or Star Wars - The Return of the Jedi.  They were simply the Empire Strikes Back and the Return of the Jedi.

Edited by Taro T
Clarity

Landed in Houston today.  Too many people, too much traffic, and terrible weather.  It is 92 F with a Dew point of 78, so it feels like 102 F - on June 4th.  Yuck! 

Edited by Pimlach

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Landed in Houston today.  Too many people, too much traffic, and terrible weather.  It is 92 F with a DW point point of 78, so it feels like 102 F - on June 4th.  Yuck! 

It's June and ONLY feels like 102F in Houston.  Be glad you caught a low humidity day.  The heat index being over 110F this time of year isn't unusual.

And come July and August 95F w/ 95% humidity is fairly standard.  Which puts the heat index up over 118.

(But Buffalo's weather sucks.  Yeah, right.)

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

If summer never came would people go mad? Because I can kind of feel it in the air, literally. Depression is setting in already.

Come on, summer. Let's go. I need to bitch about your sunshine, heat and humidity.

Edited by PASabreFan

19 hours ago, SwampD said:

Anybody know the going rate to put in a graduation card for the son of a first cousin (or first cousin once removed, as they say)? 

How much does a case of beer go for these days?

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

If summer never came would people go mad? Because I can kind of feel it in the air, literally. Depression is setting in already.

Come on, summer. Let's go. I need to bitch about your sunshine, heat and humidity.

Perhaps get a tanning lamp and a hot tub?

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I am not a fan of summer. It can take as long as it wants before showing up. If it doesn't show up at all and we go right into fall, I'm fine with that, too.

Kenan Thompson What GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha (+1) 1