The Aud like you've never seen it (YouTube gold)

PASabreFan

A link to this video showed up on BarDown, focusing on some proposed/rejected Sabre logo designs that were on display at the Aud during a season ticket holder open house in October 1994.

But that's just part of the video. The whole thing is almost half an hour long and was filmed by a young Canadian dude and his buddies and it starts as they cross the Peace Bridge. When they go through the doors of the Aud and into the lobby... chills. They snake their way through the dingy corridors, one of them wondering if the cracks in the floor were caused by an earthquake, and make their way to the top of the building.

You see Jerry Magill's cubbyhole where he sounded the horn from; the catwalk leading to the press box, giving one of the guys a chance to touch one of the "cigarette filters" that hung from the rafters; a dizzying view from the oranges; the "spectacular" luxury boxes they put in toward the end; the state of the art communication systems that made the out of town scoreboard go; the Buffalo News box; then down into the old-school lockerrooms; a very awkward meeting with John Gurtler; and finally onto the ice for a shot at an empty net.

If you remember the Aud, this is a must-watch. If you don't, well, this is exactly what it was like. What a barn.

When they were up in the oranges, section 29, right next to the big cylindrical wall..... Dad and I had seasons in row 1 of section 29.  Seats 6 and 7.  I think the were $8/ticket back then.

Edited by We've

Wow. Most of it was no big deal, but certain things, like the super cramped escalators to the oranges, the cubby-hole entry to the upper blues, the last section of oranges at the end. And I always wanted to touch one of those cylinders, but am glad I never did.

You know, for all the crying we do about how boring the "new" arena is, the Aud really was a dump. It's too bad they couldn't have captured some of that charm. Such is the modern sports venue.

At the very least, it wouldn't have been hard to bring the old seat colors to the new joint, or at least blue and gold. (Remember how long it took to replace the peachy strip encircling the arena with gold.)

I don't remember. It was the late 60's. Was plexiglass invented by then? But I clearly recall the round analog clock face on the scoreboard.

Yeah, it was invented in the late 40s and first used in Toronto. I was being snarky.

Were they still using chicken wire instead of glass?

Who da fook was Jim Paccioli?

Jim Pachioli was the owner and spokesperson for Factory Sleep Shop a mattress retailer in Buffalo. He used to appear in commercials with boxing gloves and say

"Nobody beats our prices we guarantee it"

http://history.buffalonews.com/2014/09/10/sept-1994-pachioli-vs-schoenfeld-buffalos-mattress-wars/

Jim Pachioli was the owner and spokesperson for Factory Sleep Shop a mattress retailer in Buffalo. He used to appear in commercials with boxing gloves and say

"Nobody beats our prices we guarantee it"

http://history.buffalonews.com/2014/09/10/sept-1994-pachioli-vs-schoenfeld-buffalos-mattress-wars/

Oh OK. Why was he working in the Aud?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.