GDT: Edmonton @ Buffalo, 7:30 pm est, 3-1-2016

WildCard

See this makes more sense than just saying you guys are foolish for wanting smaller pads or bigger goals.

I think interference should be if you interfere with a player who is going past you. Idk why they can't figure it out. Hockey is really getting boring. It is chip puck in, retrieve puck, get puck to point, pass between point men or down low once, take point shot, look for deflection or rebound, get puck back to point.  That is the 90% of hockey and it is boring to watch the cycle to the point for a shot that might get deflected or blocked but if I am a forward who chips the puck past a defender and he can reach out and literally stop me, what else can I do?

Complete side note, I think Ristolainen is injured. his edge work and quickness have fallen off. Something is wrong there.

See, we cool. :p

I also think Risto is injured. That said, he was gassed already and Bylsma left him out there to get burned. But I guess even a tired Risto is better than...Bogosian?

They did in Anaheim and LA where he was invisible.  The context here may be the competition.  It was a pretty play getting in position to shoot, but the shot was nothing out of the ordinary.  

Right. The shot itself wasn't special. But McDavid basically psyched everyone out. He could have wished the puck into the net at that point.  :P

McDavid didn't do what McDavid did because he's McDavid. He is just another talented forward that walked all over this team. Many talented players routinely walk all over this team, it's nothing new. 

This made me laugh, if only because of it's truthyness.

d4rksabre, on 02 Mar 2016 - 2:52 PM, said:

Right. The shot itself wasn't special. But McDavid basically psyched everyone out. He could have wished the puck into the net at that point.  :P

I dunno if I agree with you guys.  That was a five-hole shot, at a bad angle, coming in with the jets roaring.  And it wasn't a gaping five-hole, it was a pretty compact one with Lehner tightening it up.  In most cases, IF the player is able to get a shot off in the first place, the shot is going square to the goalie's chest or they attempt to flip it high.  It wasn't quite threading the needle, but with all of the other factors combined, it probably was the last outcome Lehner was expecting.

I thought Bogosian made a terrible mistake in the first 20 seconds, then made up for it with OK 2nd pairing play the rest of the game.

Larsson is starting to find his groove, looks super smooth in the o-zone.

Kane is maddening. So is Bylsma.

Jack played well, tough game for him trying to play with Kane.

Samson is a slick mother .

That was a softie by Lehner in OT, but good god is McDavid something else.

Our AHL line getting pinned at the end of the 1st was brutal to watch. Also kind of pretty, from the Oilers' point of view. What was Bylsma doing?

Reinhart was the best player as a skater on the ice for us.  However, let me tell you Lehner was amazing last night.  I think he's starting to shred up the 1st for Lehner dispute so many fans had, including myself.  Eichel played well as well.   McDavid.

Even if Risto's not injured, he's playing #1 D on a bad team, all situations, and he's 21. That's absolute insanity. Didn't he hit 30 minutes one game earlier this year? He's been close, if he didn't, but I think he did get there once. 

We're at game 63 or something, he's gotta be beat. He'll come back next year even stronger, and he'll hopefully have a few more LHDs here to take the load off a bit, and we're going to enjoy the result.

Good post. Tough to read, of course, but good.

And I agree wholeheartedly with this: Maybe Eichel's part of a better team in a few years, but there is no comparing them as individual talents. And that's okay. McDavid is just - out. of. this. world.

I'm saying it based on games I've seen him play - some in Ontario juniors, some internationally (juniors), and a few in the NHL. 

He can do things with the puck at high speed that are utterly remarkable, astonishing. 

He also passes the little kid eye test. My youngest last night (who was allowed to watch the first period, and was remorsefully delighted when McDavid forced that turnover and scored) twice said spontaneously: Who's that?! He didn't know who had the puck, but on both occasions it was McDavid busting out of his zone or down the wing. The kid (McDavid) is an absolute delight to watch.

The second post went into more detail and I can agree, McDavid is a better player and may even be on a completely other level. He's an amazing talent. But I will again say that in yesterday's game, he wasn't on another level than Jack. We kept McDavid in check most of the game, Jack seemed to generate almost as much, and possibly even more after that blown first shift by our D. I did not see a big gap yesterday. There may be one.

I don't think that is what happened at all. If Lehner wasn't in position it had nothing to do with McDavid. McDavid skated down the wing from his defensive zone. Regardless of how fast we was going - Lehner probably had 3 seconds to move two feet to his left. And although he technically gets past Risto in the last 5 feet, he was comfortably contained to the outside and left with nothing but a poor angle shot on his backhand.

Agreed. That was a not a good goal, from the point at which McDavid takes the shot. My instinct when McDavid let that shot go was, "oh ok, easy save here". It was a dangerous rush, but the shot was a bad angle muffin that should have been stopped. Anyone else scores that and it's called a bad goal. I get why it wasn't, because of who scored it, but that doesn't change what it was.

You sure do paint with a broad brush when it gives you the opportunity to insult someone. 

I already admitted Lehner blew the save. What more do you want from me?

A 4.3 forty. Stat!

Soooo, all these post game wraps and no appreciation for that pass by Samson? What a beauty.

I really think Reinhart is going to be even better than we predicted.

Good to see that the bunker salesman visited someone else too and made them an offer they couldn't refuse.  My bunker has been built since early December, cemented fully by the Kings game.  Mine includes both the Kane and Bogo model, though.  Nice neighborhood.  I see it's becoming more and more occupied as the season goes on and we have a chance to evaluate our "concepts".

No place for Kane there. I get the idea that he needs to be the most skilled player on his line and I agree with that. But the guy has 17 goals, the second most on our team, all while playing a fair few less games. Kane is a good hockey player, and is an asset to this team. His talents need to be maximized, but that is on the coach. He style of play is not the problem. He scores goals. It where he's playing and who with, that's the issue. Again, on the coach.

No place for Kane there. I get the idea that he needs to be the most skilled player on his line and I agree with that. But the guy has 17 goals, the second most on our team, all while playing a fair few less games. Kane is a good hockey player, and is an asset to this team. His talents need to be maximized, but that is on the coach. He style of play is not the problem. He scores goals. It where he's playing and who with, that's the issue. Again, on the coach.

Absolutely. 

The second post went into more detail and I can agree, McDavid is a better player and may even be on a completely other level. He's an amazing talent. But I will again say that in yesterday's game, he wasn't on another level than Jack. We kept McDavid in check most of the game, Jack seemed to generate almost as much, and possibly even more after that blown first shift by our D. I did not see a big gap yesterday. There may be one.

I dunno, man. Eichel had a fine game, and generated plenty of good stuff. Maybe it's a grass-greener dynamic. Maybe it's having a Porsche and coveting a Lamborghini (sorry, I am not a gear head). But McDavid looked every bit to me like he's on another level.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Completely disagree.  He's had more chances than anyone on the team to be an effective player and he hasn't produced enough.  Yes, he's in a group of 4 players at the top of goals scored, but consider:

He's tied for 9th in assists behind players such as Moulson and Bogosian

He's 5th in points

All while getting the 2nd most forward minutes per game on the team and having the 2nd biggest cap hit on the team.

He can't play with either of our top 2 centers or their production sharply declines to virtually nothing.

He has under produced considering the opportunities he's been given and the skills he has (which I agree he has) but has been rarely able to capitalize on those skills throughout his career.  He's another in a long line of athletes across all sports who have immense skill but for some reason just can't put it together consistently and never reach their potential.  And he's all ours!

To be honest Murray acquired kane to be a top 6 forward, if he can turn him into #2 LHD he won't hesitate.

I'd like to believe that, but is there (1) Anyone who would trade that for Kane?  His trade value has certainly declined since the ransom we paid to get him.  (2) any chance Murray would trade him?  I've seen no signs that Murray, like the vast majority of this board, see through "the concept" yet.

Kane sucks, dump him. We don't need 20 goal scorers. Particularly in today's low scoring NHL.

As for McDavid, I'm going to have to get my eyes checked, I think I am the only one who thought in this particular game, Eichel looked nearly as good. I know McDavid is the better player, and probably on another level. Just didn't see it this one game. But again that's probably just me.

Back to Kane: he's only under contract for another two years after this one. So even if Murray couldn't trade him (and I believe he easily could), he could be dumped at that point. Much to the satisfaction of a lot of people, it looks like.

Edited by Thorny

Kane sucks, dump him. We don't need 20 goal scorers. Particularly in today's low scoring NHL.

Back to Kane: he's only under contract for another two years after this one. So even if Murray couldn't trade him (and I believe he easily could), he could be dumped at that point. Much to the satisfaction of a lot of people, it looks like.

I'm decidedly ambivalent on the guy. You keep banging the number of goals drum, which is something. But do you disagree that his game lacks basic hockey IQ and tends to detract from the efforts of his line mates? I can't even quite put my finger on it. He does good things out there. He just seems to play with the mentality of an elementary school aged child.

As for McDavid, I'm going to have to get my eyes checked, I think I am the only one who thought in this particular game, Eichel looked nearly as good. I know McDavid is the better player, and probably on another level. Just didn't see it this one game. But again that's probably just me.

I'll resolve to keep the issue open. Maybe I was biased by the fact that he scored twice.

I'm decidedly ambivalent on the guy. You keep banging the number of goals drum, which is something. But do you disagree that his game lacks basic hockey IQ and tends to detract from the efforts of his line mates? I can't even quite put my finger on it. He does good things out there. He just seems to play with the mentality of an elementary school aged child.

I'll resolve to keep the issue open. Maybe I was biased by the fact that he scored twice.

I think you're right on in your analysis of Kane's play, but I'm trying to remember which games we had enough people healthy to push him to the Larsson line, because what he did in those games was exactly what I want Kane to be for us going forward. He was playing defense effectively with Johan and Brian, and then was easily the one on that line you'd want rushing the puck up the ice, and it worked very well.

I don't think it is hockey IQ.  I think he doesn't handle the puck well, so his 1st instinct is to shoot when challenged.  He's speed, aggression, and a shot.  He's not passing or creating space because that's the extent of his game.

I guess I see in Kane what I saw in me when I was playing beer leagues a level above my ability.  Pressured?  Shoot the puck.

I don't think it is hockey IQ.  I think he doesn't handle the puck well, so his 1st instinct is to shoot when challenged.  He's speed, aggression, and a shot.  He's not passing or creating space because that's the extent of his game.

I guess I see in Kane what I saw in me when I was playing beer leagues a level above my ability.  Pressured?  Shoot the puck.

I agree more with this. I don't think Kane lacks hockey IQ but his skillset doesn't lend itself to passing.

I disagree. For a guy that doesn't handle the puck very well, he's on the pk, pp, and has a ton of controlled zone entries. Creating space is largely due to a player's smarts; going to the right areas at the right times. For a guy his size to be unable to create space, it tells me he has little to no hockey IQ. Plus he routinely shoots on 3-1, without a single pass. 

No room for a fiesty 25(ish) goal scorer on this team.

He ended up fighting the same dude 3 times in the same game.

Seems like just yesterday most on here were pining for Kane to be in a Sabres uniform ... just what the team needed.  Well, I say the Sabres still need him.

I don't agree that he lacks basic hockey IQ. I don't think he has a particularly high hockey IQ, but I think it's average. I think the idea that he has absolutely no hockey IQ whatsoever is overblown. I am definitely in the minority on this, though.

Beyond that, in regards to the issue of detracting from his teammates, I think that while he doesn't appear to be a good fit with Eichel, I would like to see more of him with ROR. I did however say before that I agree with True's idea that he is best suited to be the best player on his line. It may indeed be that Kane is a best fit for a role on a third line that gets plenty of minutes. And for what he contributes, I would be great with that.

As for the bolded, I don't even think the issue needs to be kept open. Maybe revisited, but as of right now it is clear that McDavid is the better player. I was only comparing them in this one game where I said I didn't think there was a huge gap between them, when comparing just these two individual performances. I also already said that I gave McDavid the edge because of his first goal, even if it was off a terrible giveaway. Lehner should have stopped the 2nd.

The only point I was trying to get across was that in this one game I don't think McDavid was on another level, Eichel competed closely.

No room for a fiesty 25(ish) goal scorer on this team.

He ended up fighting the same dude 3 times in the same game.

Seems like just yesterday most on here were pining for Kane to be in a Sabres uniform ... just what the team needed.  Well, I say the Sabres still need him.

Agreed. I'll always maintain he has lead in his brain, but he has the physical make-up of a freak and fire in his heart.

I love Kane. I just don't want him anywhere near my top scoring lines or 1st PP unit. Sort of like how I hated Gionta getting 22 minutes per game, but didn't hate Gionta.

Hell, I think being able to roll out a 3rd line with a guy who can get 20 from those minutes is pretty awesome. That type of depth scoring come playoff time could turn a series.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.