GDT: Detroit @ Buffalo, 7:00pm est, 1-22-2016

WildCard

Moulson is a complete and total mystery. Honestly.

Think so? I honestly just think he looks done. Finished. Shot. Toast. Cooked. Some fancy synonym in a foreign language. About as simple as it gets.

I had the game on 3 TV's at work. I have successfully made over 100 people hate hockey.

That game sucked!

You're one of those 100, right? :p

I had forgotten about your reading aptitude. I said every team lose games due almost entirely to scheduling. Chicago lost today 4-0 on the second night of back to backs. Look at the record of teams playing their first home game after a long trip. You don't have to take my word for it, the data is readily available.

I know you don't like me, so why do you bother replying?

It was a general statement about all excuses used thus far. If I was referencing your point directly I would have quoted you. It's not all about you. 

We can't all be as good as you. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I know you don't like me, so why do you bother replying?

It was a general statement about all excuses used thus far. If I was referencing your point directly I would have quoted you. It's not all about you. 

We can't all be as good as you. 

We are heavily injured, just got in, don't have depth.  Those aren't excuses they are facts.  To many facts for us to overcome and that was proven by Detroit.

We are heavily injured, just got in, don't have depth.  Those aren't excuses they are facts.  To many facts for us to overcome and that was proven by Detroit.

How does this prove the other 25-30 games this year in which they've gone through the motions? 

This team isn't heavily injured, not any more than any other team. In fact they probably have one of the healthiest defensive cores in the league right now. Losing and looking like they've mailed it in are two totally different things. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

How does this prove the other 25-30 this year in which they've gone through the motions? 

This team isn't heavily injured, not any more than any other team. In fact they probably have one of the healthiest defensive cores in the league right now. Losing and looking like they've mailed it in are two totally different things. 

No way have we gone through the motions 25-30 times.

And yes, losing 3 of your top 6 wingers is the definition of severely injured. Canadiens lose one player and they're the worst team in the league. Take out Kane, Parnarin, and Shaw, and the Hawks would suck. Name one team where you can take out 3 of their top six and they'd still be anywhere remotely close to their normal level of paly

And yes, losing 3 of your top 6 wingers is the definition of severely injured. Canadiens lose one player and they're the worst team in the league. Take out Kane, Parnarin, and Shaw, and the Hawks would suck. Name one team where you can take out 3 of their top six and they'd still be anywhere remotely close to their normal level of paly

They tried do much harder when they were being outshot 40-15 last year. Don't you remember?

Panarin, Shaw and Kane are not Ennis, Reinhart and Girgensons.

The Canadiens were a poor team before losing Price. They were riding an early season wave they couldn't sustain.

If we're going to make comparisons, let's compare similar players/situations.

I'm not sure which games you've been watching, but at least half have been some pretty pisspoor showings and it had nothing to do with lack of talent.

They tried do much harder when they were being outshot 40-15 last year. Don't you remember?

think_smiley_04.gif

How does this prove the other 25-30 games this year in which they've gone through the motions? 

ummm we have the most man games lost to injury of any NHL team with the exception (by 3 games) of Edmonton.  We don't have the depth to cover it.  Mellow, it sucks but this is what happens when there isn't a lot of talent outside your top 6. 

Panarin, Shaw and Kane are not Ennis, Reinhart and Girgensons.

The Canadiens were a poor team before losing Price. They were riding an early season wave they couldn't sustain.

If we're going to make comparisons, let's compare similar players/situations.

I'm not sure which games you've been watching, but at least half have been some pretty pisspoor showings and it had nothing to do with lack of talent.

I'll address these in order

You said we weren't severely injured, I say we are, and say that any team can lose half of their top 6 and look much worse. 

The Canadiens were the best team in the league prior to losing Price. Of course they couldn't sustain a franchise record start, that's why it's a franchise record start. It's foolish to claim the Canadiens wouldn't have made the playoffs if Price wasn't hurt, because they have the last 3 years with him, including a trip to the ECF, and no major changes to that roster.

Let's compare similar situations. How have the Oiler's been when 1 guy goes out? How about the Panthers losing 4 straight with Ekblad out? You can't seriously believe we aren't severely injured. 

I've been watching every game, and you know that. I vehemently disagree that for nearly 2/3's of them we have been lazy and uninterested. 

ummm we have the most man games lost to injury of any NHL team with the exception (by 3 games) of Edmonton.  We don't have the depth to cover it.  Mellow, it sucks but this is what happens when there isn't a lot of talent outside your top 6. 

And the majority of those man-games were earlier in the season, which was when they happened to be playing better.

I'll address these in order

You said we weren't severely injured, I say we are, and say that any team can lose half of their top 6 and look much worse. 

The Canadiens were the best team in the league prior to losing Price. Of course they couldn't sustain a franchise record start, that's why it's a franchise record start. It's foolish to claim the Canadiens wouldn't have made the playoffs if Price wasn't hurt, because they have the last 3 years with him, including a trip to the ECF, and no major changes to that roster.

Let's compare similar situations. How have the Oiler's been when 1 guy goes out? How about the Panthers losing 4 straight with Ekblad out? You can't seriously believe we aren't severely injured. 

I've been watching every game, and you know that. I vehemently disagree that for nearly 2/3's of them we have been lazy and uninterested. 

Price wasn't scoring half of the teams goals, Price wasn't the reason their scoring was reduced by almost half. In fact it can be argued that Price had little to do with their winning streak. They were putting up nearly 4 goals/game, an average goaltender would have been 8-2. Poor example.

The Oilers have sucked for several years whether they lose a player or not. Another poor example.

If you watched the last 3-4 games of the Panther's win streak, they were long over due to lose some games because they did not look good at all. That's when Ekblad was playing.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. This team has been playing poorly. Mistakes are expected, laziness is another story. I'm not the only one noticing this. These three "top 6" forwards have a total of 18 goals in 110 games. And the most productive has only missed one game. That's just not the difference between being a competitive team ad being another tank team.

Is it my imagination or is this team regressing? Didn't they play a lot better in October and November? Is it that other teams have us figured out and we have no answer?

I think they're regressing, apparently some think otherwise.

Is it my imagination or is this team regressing? Didn't they play a lot better in October and November? Is it that other teams have us figured out and we have no answer?

Before dropping the last couple they won 5 of 7.  I think the combination of still learning DD's system and the still fragile chemistry in the lines makes for regression when you start taking significant players out of the lineup due to injury.

THE BUFFALO SABRES WILL BE FINE.

Just saw his post gamer, and I am really starting to like this guy. He tells it like it is and he is a true competitor. Would love to see him in a line brawl, lol. Don't think any other goalie would want to tangle with him.

I just watched it at well.  His demeanor is the opposite of Ullmark.  Linus is all smiles and sunshine, Lehner is all business.  Maybe that'll change in a winning effort for Robin.

And the majority of those man-games were earlier in the season, which was when they happened to be playing better.

No. They've been all season. We are right now missing Reinhart, Ennis, Girgensons, and Deslauriers. In order, that's 2 top 6 players, an guy who was occasionally playing top 6 and if not, top 9, and Deslauriers, who adds much needed grit. Gorges is also out due to injury. We are severely banged up.

Why is this even a point of contention?

We are very banged up, it's not an opinion.

Watching this delayed and haven't read this thread. Liking Lehner a lot. 10:40 left in the third 0-0 Lehner is my ten year guy here.

Except we have to listen to Rob say "Layner" for those 10 years. And "Layner" going to the "ground."

Before dropping the last couple they won 5 of 7.  I think the combination of still learning DD's system and the still fragile chemistry in the lines makes for regression when you start taking significant players out of the lineup due to injury.

THE BUFFALO SABRES WILL BE FINE.

Shove it. Seriously.

We haven't quite reached didmoulsonscore.com territory yet but it's been 36 games now.

Maybe an anti-Vigoda site: Matt Moulson is still deceased.

Lehner had a good game tonight. What a waste. Playoffs hopes slipping away.

Yup. Murray has to be feeling a lot better about things now.

Easily the most boring game of the year for us

Mike Weber deliberately shooting the puck wide in the second period from the point hoping it would carom out front and go off Little Gio, the Stone Guy and Maria Genero's tuckus and in was one of the saddest hockey sights ever.

So 70 seconds with the goalie pulled, and Buffalo can't manage ONE shot on goal?  This team is sad.  Better than last year, but that isn't saying much.

No. Just no. This team is underperforming more than last year's team did.

I appreciate the perspective, T Web.

Watching this game is almost enough to turn me off NHL hockey for a while. Ugh.

And if I hear my dear friend Rob Ray say, one more time, that the Sabres need to grind the game down to a snail's pace, well ... there will be words.

Rob also said entering the third that the Sabres were right where Bylsma wanted them to be. Slow the game down, get into the third tied or close and "win a period." Rob's opinion is fine, but is it his opinion or is he parroting the team's "braintrust"? I mean, they have broadcast production meetings where these things are discussed. Is this really the kind of game Bylsma coaches? And the kind of team Murray wants to build? Bumble covering the whole net and win 1-0 on a bounce? With all the offensive talent the Sabres have, and what that talent will look like in a few years? How depressing.

After this game I an say at least 3 things for certain. Moulson is done, less than a shell of his former self. I love Lehner, you can tell how badly he wants to win and how badly he wants to validate to the team and fans that he was worth what they gave up. He has been by far the best player on the ice for us the last two games, not even close. And lastly, if this is how Bylsma's team is going to play, I don't want him here. I can't watch a team with our speed and talent just turtle up on defense, dump and chase, and consistently play the most boring game possible just to slow the game down so they only have to "win a period."

Now all this being said, we've been unlucky with injuries, and based on Lehner's play I actually think we would have more wins so far this season if he hadn't been hurt. The all-star break is a very welcome sight.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.