Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Problems in Pittsburgh, players pretty pissed about poor play.

http://www.tsn.ca/mondaymustread-frustration-bubbles-to-the-surface-in-pittsburgh-1.394537

"“We not play right,” Malkin said, in audio posted on the Penguins’ website. “We not work hard right now. I know it’s tough, but we’re mad at each other. We need to just stop, look in the mirror, and start working. We not work.”

Watched the Caps/Pens game and couldn't believe the Pens won.

Watched the Devils/Pens game a couldn't believe the Pens only lost 4-0.

Not sure who thought a team that is considered soft but skilled, then goes out and gets the Muffin Man this past off season, was going to be better.

No 1st round picks, no notable prospects anywhere. I think they could be opening the barn doors to let the sun shine in on the tank soon.

Problems in Pittsburgh, players pretty pissed about poor play.

http://www.tsn.ca/mondaymustread-frustration-bubbles-to-the-surface-in-pittsburgh-1.394537

"“We not play right,” Malkin said, in audio posted on the Penguins’ website. “We not work hard right now. I know it’s tough, but we’re mad at each other. We need to just stop, look in the mirror, and start working. We not work.”

Perhaps Malkin can brush up his English from chara.

http://media.wgr550.com/device/mobile/a/18413901/zdeno-chara-gives-his-pep-talk.htm

Watched the Caps/Pens game and couldn't believe the Pens won.

Watched the Devils/Pens game a couldn't believe the Pens only lost 4-0.

Not sure who thought a team that is considered soft but skilled, then goes out and gets the Muffin Man this past off season, was going to be better.

No 1st round picks, no notable prospects anywhere. I think they could be opening the barn doors to let the sun shine in on the tank soon.

I thought phil was a hot dog man

kessel.jpg

HNIC feature on Lucic tonight, Miller hit prominently featured. Jack ###### Edwards called upon to comment, and opines that the Sabres drafting Eichel was traceable to that moment. Not that he's in any way wrong, but oh my dear Cthulhu is he a douche.

I hate Jack Edwards. Anyone who can be fired by ESPN from calling US National team soccer games for an American audience because he was irrationally homerish does not need to be giving opinions on anything ever for any reason. I realize this is my second anti Jack post of the day. But seriously, ###### that guy. In the ear.

I hate him as much as you do, maybe more, because I just refuse to listen to him now. Every time he talks I can think of nothing but strangling that pencil neck of his. He makes me feel like Inspector Dreyfus in the Pink Panther movies.

I know the league is cracking down on fighting and anything else that makes the game exciting. Doing their best to make it no-hit league. But did anybody catch the Preds-Jets game the other night in which the Preds won 7-0? I saw a picture of the penalty boxes and there were packed, I figured something significant must have happened so I went back to watch it. Scheifele skated into the zone and the whistle blew but he put the puck in the net anyways. Preds didn't like that so they followed him along the board and a scrum ensued. There were no fights, no punches thrown, no cheap shots................ but the refs gave every single player on the ice unsportsmanlike coinduct penalties! Thirteen different players got minors including Rinne. It seems to me like the refs were given orders by Napoleon during the offseason.

I know the league is cracking down on fighting and anything else that makes the game exciting. Doing their best to make it no-hit league. But did anybody catch the Preds-Jets game the other night in which the Preds won 7-0? I saw a picture of the penalty boxes and there were packed, I figured something significant must have happened so I went back to watch it. Scheifele skated into the zone and the whistle blew but he put the puck in the net anyways. Preds didn't like that so they followed him along the board and a scrum ensued. There were no fights, no punches thrown, no cheap shots................ but the refs gave every single player on the ice unsportsmanlike coinduct penalties! Thirteen different players got minors including Rinne. It seems to me like the refs were given orders by Napoleon during the offseason.

Is the league doing something different than it always had with regards to fighting? I'm legitimately curious, I don't follow rule updates closely. 

Is the league doing something different than it always had with regards to fighting? I'm legitimately curious, I don't follow rule updates closely. 

I've watched a few games where a couple of players really wanted to go at it and the officials went out of their way to stay between them. The other night in the TB vs. FL game, Brown and Thornton really wanted to fight and the refs followed them around. I posted those charts, I find it hard to believe fighting would drop off that much because teams changed their strategies during the offseason, I would think that would be more gradual.

But, that's just my observation. I'm sure others see it differently. I just think giving 12 players unsportsmanlike penalties when there weren't even any fights is pretty lame.

I've watched a few games where a couple of players really wanted to go at it and the officials went out of their way to stay between them. The other night in the TB vs. FL game, Brown and Thornton really wanted to fight and the refs followed them around. I posted those charts, I find it hard to believe fighting would drop off that much because teams changed their strategies during the offseason, I would think that would be more gradual.

But, that's just my observation. I'm sure others see it differently. I just think giving 12 players unsportsmanlike penalties when there weren't even any fights is pretty lame.

Ah, within the game itself you mean, interesting. I'll look out for that in the Sabres games. 

And I was also very confused when I saw the box score for that game and saw no fights accounting for the penalties.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Ah, within the game itself you mean, interesting. I'll look out for that in the Sabres games. 

And I was also very confused when I saw the box score for that game and saw no fights accounting for the penalties.

Yeah, sorry I should have been more clear. They didn't make any rules changes but it seems like they've been going out of their way to prevent any fighting.

That was crazy, never seen so many guys in the penalty boxes when nothing really happened.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I stopped watching that Jets-Preds game after they loaded up the penalty boxes. I should have kept watching. Exactly what happens when you have 12 guys in the penalty box and the penalties all expire at the same time?

I assume they'd just wait until play is called.

What you're seeing is gradual.  Look at your plot.  Granted it's early in the season, but the dropoff this year continues a linear trend that has been going on over the entire course of the years you selected.  They had the slight boost in 12-13, but the line before and after that year is essentially parallel.  This is not some new thing this year, it has been happening for a while now.

Kings' prospect goalie Patrik Bartosak suspended by the organization due to an allegation of domestic assault. Kings are having a lot of issues with players and criminal investigations it seems. 

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-kings-patrik-bartosak-domestic-violence-charge-20151117-story.html

https://twitter.com/lakingsinsider/status/667054433822339072

Panarin with a goal and an assist tonight, so far. He looks unstoppable right now. 20 points in 19 games (if he doesn't get more, tonight). His linemates are certainly helping.

It almost seems unfair because he's 24, but the Calder looks like his to lose at this point.

Panarin with a goal and an assist tonight, so far. He looks unstoppable right now. 20 points in 19 games (if he doesn't get more, tonight). His linemates are certainly helping.

It almost seems unfair because he's 24, but the Calder looks like his to lose at this point.

Almost unfair? That's criminal; that and he gets to play with Patrick Kane every night. Looks like the Hawks, again, knew what they were doing by letting Saad go and paying Searbrooke 

Almost unfair? That's ###### criminal; that and he gets to play with Patrick Kane every night. Looks like the Hawks, again, knew what they were doing by letting Saad go and paying Searbrooke

Bowman doesn't hate Russians.