Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Fair deuce on Lorentz having grown into his role and voice. But you overstate your point. Even in his green days, Lorentz provided keen content.

Sorry about my pointy-ness. My point was more that they where schooled by living it, much like the young and the current form of social media. When we where young our fondest memories where of the best of the best of NHL broadcasting league wide. We didn't know how good it was. Our standards are high, amongst the highest in the NHL. Rob is hardly low on the NHL list of color guys. Unfortunately we may never be so blessed again. You just watched the national talent Dumbarry, Ray is a genius in comparison and a better human. Dumbarry is the standard, not Lorenz. Sad.....

Dean Lombardi tried to change the rules/get an exception to let Eichel be on Team USA for the World Tournament

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/40048/team-usa-sought-exception-to-losing-all-players-under-24-for-world-cup

Dean, you realize that if you are allowed to take away their best players, that team would have no purpose at all, right?

My point was more that they where schooled by living it, much like the young and the current form of social media. When we where young our fondest memories where of the best of the best of NHL broadcasting league wide. We didn't know how good it was. Our standards are high, amongst the highest in the NHL. Rob is hardly low on the NHL list of color guys. Unfortunately we may never be so blessed again. You just watched the national talent Dumbarry, Ray is a genius in comparison and a better human. Dumbarry is the standard, not Lorenz. Sad.....

Copy all'a that.

Check out this goal by one of our prior players

THIS IS WHY WE WATCH!!!

https://www.facebook.com/NHL/videos/10153109777692466/

I'm always amazed at how poor the defense plays those moves.  We teach the defender to not focus on the puck, the body matters and yet there is another example of the defender staring at Vanek's stick and puck.  By the time he realized what was happening Vanek had his arms in the air.

Great moves by Vanek to get to the goal.

So it looks like Eric Gelinas is being shopped by NJD.  Not sure what we match with them on, but he's a pretty talented 24 year old with a LH shot.  He showed a lot two seasons and not so much the last season and a half.  He might be interesting to keep an eye on. 

This just in, we're really, scary good actually. But, unbearably unlucky

PDO is the sum of a team's 5v5 shooting percentage (the number of goals they score divided by the number of shots on goal they generate) and their 5v5 save percentage (the number of shots their goalies stop divided by the number of shots on goal they allow).

@TSNBobMcKenzie

@Classlicity: Scoring Chances vs PDO thru 11/10. blank area "normal" colors very high/low. ” My fave coloured chart.

CTipxP0WUAU58CN.jpg

More stuff (should we just make a thread for Sabres stats, or league stats?) 

Same chart, but analyzes our golies instead

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/664506813082116097

Edited by WildCard

Saw a Tweet about how Bettman is quashing rumours that Carolina could be on the move once the principal owner sells his stake.

A Twitter account dedicated to the memory of the Hartford Whalers linked the newspaper report, fwiw.

Here it be, I hope:

https://t.co/xpTamuTj6H

I don't mind the extension, nor really the price, but 7 years? 

I have everything about it, but especially the term. That's just insane. The single, solitary reason that Abdelkader is producing is because he's spent the last year+ riding shotgun with Zetterberg and/or Datsyuk (injuries make me sad). But he's basically the definition of a replaceable player (when that's the price to retain him, anyway). Seriously, how many guys couldn't score 40 points playing with two HoF forwards and getting 19 minutes per game? Meanwhile, Drew Stafford regularly scores 40+ points playing with...well, not two HoF linemates, and he makes a hair over $4 million on a 2 year deal. Was Ken Holland blackmailed by Abdelkader's agent?

Your interest in Staff's welfare concerns me.

Your lack of interest concerns me! After all, he had a better goal call from RJ than Eichel does.

But really though, it was just the first contract that came to mind because the recent point production was similar and so was the dollar figure. My mind is still spinning trying to figure out how Abdelkader got 7 years...he's going to be 29 when this thing kicks in! Insanity.

Your lack of interest concerns me! After all, he had a better goal call from RJ than Eichel does.

But really though, it was just the first contract that came to mind because the recent point production was similar and so was the dollar figure. My mind is still spinning trying to figure out how Abdelkader got 7 years...he's going to be 29 when this thing kicks in! Insanity.

Detroit is suddenly stupid I guess. I would give Abdelkader maybe 3 or 4 years considering his age but he just doesn't figure to be able to produce into is mid 30's. He's an offensive passenger, not driver.  Glad Murray didn't do that.

In 3 or 4 years that will be akin to $2.5-$3M in terms of salary cap space, so maybe not such a bad deal.

That all depends on how much higher the cap goes.  At some point we might not see that steady 3-5% growth in hockey. Especially if the scoring plunge continues.