Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

And it was a Hab who said it about the Sabres, I just can't remember who ("average team with a great goalie"). See also: "Hasek and 19 guys named Peca."

Pretty sure that was Shayne Corson but I can't find anything to back it up.

That squares with what I see when I watch them play. The L.A. Kings, they ain't. But they don't need to be.

But the Sabres only lost in 2010 (won the division) and 2011 because of hitting, no?

You know who I'm looking at, and I know you dare not reply.

Look at the slacker millennials showing off their history chops!

Pretty sure that was Shayne Corson but I can't find anything to back it up.

And the old guy who forgets history. And is condemned to repeat it. It was Martin Rucinsky. (I had to look it up.)

Who knew Hitler was a North Star?

Everyone knows he was a Leaf. He had one ball, after all.

But the Sabres only lost in 2010 (won the ###### division) and 2011 because of hitting, no?

You know who I'm looking at, and I know you dare not reply.

I'm so vain, I think this post is about me.

Dallas "mauling" the Blackhawks 4-0.  3 goals in the third and spending all their time with the puck in Chicago's slot.  It's getting ugly for Chicago.

I love that Dallas team.  Changing of the NHL guard last night?

I'm rooting for my Sabres first and Dallas second this season. 

Look at the slacker millennials showing off their history chops!

And the old guy who forgets history. And is condemned to repeat it. It was Martin Rucinsky. (I had to look it up.)

I like thinking it was Corson better.  Never would have guessed Rucinsky.  I spend all of 45 seconds on a google search.  Where did you find it?

I like thinking it was Corson better.  Never would have guessed Rucinsky.  I spend all of 45 seconds on a google search.  Where did you find it?

The name was on the tip of my tongue, so I looked at the 97-98 Habs roster and voila. I confirmed it with a google search, something like hasek sabres average team great goalie rucinsky.

You're thinking of the guy that told May he was 'just another Sabre #####' when he came into the league. Easy mistake. :p

I love that Dallas team.  Changing of the NHL guard last night?

I'm rooting for my Sabres first and Dallas second this season. 

I do not intend to make much of this, but it's been a minute since I had occasion to observe what appears to be a generational difference in the idea of rooting for a team other than one's own. 

Maybe it's semantics. I'll pull for Lindy's team to win, but it cannot rise to the level of cheering or rooting or backing. I only do that sort of stuff for the Sabres.

No one is more surprised than me..  I like the Dallas team and the players they have assembled.  They are more than entertaining to watch and they have the Lindy factor too.

Living here, the Stars have been my "friends with benefits" team for a while.  I enjoy spending an evening with them, but there's no emotional attachment. 

The Blackhawks have been outhit in 184 straight regular season games, since November 2013.

Interesting stat.  Clearly hitting is critical. :)

Minnesota does something interesting, they seem to play with the a forward up on the blue line with the defense, all 3 playing in a straight line parallel to the blue line

Is this in 5v5?  Just something you observed or is there any kind of video? I'm totally curious from the hockey strategy viewpoint.

I do not intend to make much of this, but it's been a minute since I had occasion to observe what appears to be a generational difference in the idea of rooting for a team other than one's own. 

Maybe it's semantics. I'll pull for Lindy's team to win, but it cannot rise to the level of cheering or rooting or backing. I only do that sort of stuff for the Sabres.

Pull vs. root is the question.  What is the difference?  Would you say rooting is something that occurs both during games and in-between where pulling is something you only during a game?  On most nights there is a team I would prefer win a game and there are teams out there that I would prefer win all their games except when playing the Sabres.  There are also teams I would prefer lose all their games.

Just curious how you break it down...