Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Wow. From not Norris worthy to MVP candidate in less than a season. That's a flip flop that would make Paul Tsongas call out.

Karlsson is the most wrong I have ever been on a player. He's magnificent.

That said, I thought my "offensive defenseman shouldn't win the Norris" rant was from several seasons ago (before the achilles injury) when I thought Shea Weber got robbed.

In any event, at the risk of inviting snide remarks, my thinking on defensemen has significantly evolved the past couple years as I delved more deeply into analytics.

Karlsson is the most wrong I have ever been on a player. He's magnificent.

That said, I thought my "offensive defenseman shouldn't win the Norris" rant was from several seasons ago (before the achilles injury) when I thought Shea Weber got robbed.

In any event, at the risk of inviting snide remarks, my thinking on defensemen has significantly evolved the past couple years as I delved more deeply into analytics.

Don't sweat it.  You're getting snide remarks either way.

Some of you remember things like, uh, a woman. Sorry, ladies.

You're just upset because Tsongas dissed your candidate.

And it was an easy guess that PhD was anti-Karlsson for the Norris.  I'm fairly certain that I was nearly alone in the Karlsson for Norris debate.

Edited by We've

Tonight in Philly

Philly scored a goal that was borderline offsides.  Hitchcock called a time out and DID NOT challenge the play.  Since he called the TO, why he didn't challenge too is a mystery.  He literally had nothing to lose

Cam Talbot has been on fire lately. Has Edmonton finally found a goalie?

Maybe. Dude is 28 so his development curve is probably well over. His numbers with the Rangers weren't bad, but he came into the NHL a little later than you'd typically want.

He's probably got a good season or two in him, but I don't see him as anything more than a stop-gap for the Oil. He's just too old to just be breaking into the league in a starting role.   

Maybe. Dude is 28 so his development curve is probably well over. His numbers with the Rangers weren't bad, but he came into the NHL a little later than you'd typically want.

He's probably got a good season or two in him, but I don't see him as anything more than a stop-gap for the Oil. He's just too old to just be breaking into the league in a starting role.   

How old was Hasek?

Last I looked, they were riding their league-best PDO to greatness. Without that elite SV%, and with a SH% perhaps coming back to earth, a recent slide makes sense.

Saw this: "The Montreal Canadiens are 11-12-3 since their 9-0 start to the 2015-2016 regular season, and have lost 8 of their last 9 outings, including 4 in a row."

They're basically a great goaltender with a so/so team in front of him.  Sounds like Buffalo in the Hasek era.

Don't give me the eye role mister!

You know I'm not saying he's Hasek.

Just that at 28 years old your not finished before you've started.

Like I said, he might have a few good years. But there's no way he's going to end up being a long term solution for the Oilers.

Saw this: "The Montreal Canadiens are 11-12-3 since their 9-0 start to the 2015-2016 regular season, and have lost 8 of their last 9 outings, including 4 in a row."

They're basically a great goaltender with a so/so team in front of him.  Sounds like Buffalo in the Hasek era.

And it was a Hab who said it about the Sabres, I just can't remember who ("average team with a great goalie"). See also: "Hasek and 19 guys named Peca."