Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

He really is. Classy move on his part to check on the goalie after the hit and retrieve his helmet for him. Just tuned in at the end, but cripes, 7-5? More like a baseball score.

Here's the collision:

And the way Jenner and Tyutin handled it too.  It could have gotten out of hand very quickly if they reacted differently.

He really is. Classy move on his part to check on the goalie after the hit and retrieve his helmet for him. Just tuned in at the end, but cripes, 7-5? More like a baseball score.

Here's the collision:

Totally agree here.  You can see Domi put as much of the brakes on as he could at the last moment too.  It's a good hard play by both sides and then class by him to retrieve the helmet. You can tell that both the CBJ players and the ARZ players understood his sportsmanship there.

And the way Jenner and Tyutin handled it too.  It could have gotten out of hand very quickly if they reacted differently.

Totally agree here.  You can see Domi put as much of the brakes on as he could at the last moment too.  It's a good hard play by both sides and then class by him to retrieve the helmet. You can tell that both the CBJ players and the ARZ players understood his sportsmanship there.

Very true, and it was good to see the CBJ players recognized it and didn't feel compelled to "send a message".

So if Lucic had just handed Miller his helmet back, it would have all been good?

Eh...

Yes, that and if he wasn't trying to cripple Miller.  It's the little things.

THIS.

A question to the SS hockey scholars. I think Paul MacLean is in the last year of his contract with Ottawa. It's surprised me that Boudreau hasn't been fired yet. I figured that since MacLean is already employed by the Ducks that any compensation to Ottawa would have already taken place. Would his actual title have anything to do with that? Would the Sens be owed draft pick compensation up until the end of December 31 if MacLean were to be named head coach even though he is already employed by the Ducks?

The other mitigating factor was the location on the ice. One was just outside the paint, the other well up ice.

Big difference in the size of the goalie and the net ... this is from 1991

https://www.facebook.com/NHL/videos/10153166492457466/

Average goalie size is bigger. Pads are bigger. Goal size is the same. It's common sense really. Either make the pads smaller or the net bigger. Can't argue w/ math. By doing one of the two the area of today's goal covered will be equal to the area covered back then. That quickly fixes the goal scoring problem for the NHL. 

Ryan Miller made it to the first shoot out shooter last night and then tweaked something.  He came out of the game against Florida

He said it was just a cramp. Must have had too much coffee. 

Average goalie size is bigger. Pads are bigger. Goal size is the same. It's common sense really. Either make the pads smaller or the net bigger. Can't argue w/ math. By doing one of the two the area of today's goal covered will be equal to the area covered back then. That quickly fixes the goal scoring problem for the NHL. 

Make it so speed and quickness is again a major factor in a great goaltender. It's nice to see a mixture of different types of goaltenders. Haven't seen that in years. 

Apropos of nothing ...

I was pumping gas today between Amalie Arena and a fitness center. A very tall man with a gray goatee and Lightning sweats walked by, between the pumps. It was Dave Andrychuk. So much history. Tampa is a small town, not unlike my hometown.

Edited by N'eo

Apropos of nothing ...

I was pumping gas today between Amalie Arena and a fitness center. A very tall man with a gray goatee and Lightning sweats walked by, between the pumps. It was Dave Andrychuk. So much history. Tampa is a small town, not unlike my hometown.

I'd be curious to hear how many people my age and up wear sweatpants outside of the house.

I still think it's Kane

Absolutely in the conversation. I actually plan on starting a thread on this, but the reason I'd probably lean Karlsson is what he brings from the blue line is without peer. He's transcendent--our generation's Orr. As great as Kane is, I'm not sure we can meaningfully separate him from the Seguins of the league.

I really don't think there's a clear answer, but Karlsson's uniqueness does it for me.

I remember the Achilles injury and wondering what might have been lost .... I'm happy for him.

Same. I do think it slowed him down for awhile, but he seems back 100%. Good for hockey fans.

Edited by TrueBlueGED