Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

The NHL has ruled this hit by Brad Malone on Nick Foligno as legal. :blink:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/should-brad-malone-be-suspended-for-blindside-hit-on-nick-foligno/

Foligno's out for a week with "an upper body injury."

Oh man, other than the 0.5sec rule, that looks textbook.  defenseless, shoulder square on the jaw, slightly from behind, had opportunity to pull up.......  If you are serious about getting rid of concussions, you have to suspend for this.

This is how guys that should be repeat offenders never get on the list.

The NHL has ruled this hit by Brad Malone on Nick Foligno as legal. :blink:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/should-brad-malone-be-suspended-for-blindside-hit-on-nick-foligno/

Foligno's out for a week with "an upper body injury."

It is legal.  He had the puck milliseconds before he was hit, Malone didn't raise an elbow or anything.

It is legal.  He had the puck milliseconds before he was hit, Malone didn't raise an elbow or anything.

Does it have to meet all of the elements to be suspendable?  Seems that angling from behind with principle contact on the chin ought not require being 0.5 secs late to be suspendable.

Does it have to meet all of the elements to be suspendable?  Seems that angling from behind with principle contact on the chin ought not require being 0.5 secs late to be suspendable.

It's a pretty bad clip to try to judge, but I just don't see Malone aiming for him there.  

Kindl clears

Wtf is going on? Our D sucks. That's 2 D men in the last week we should have taken a flyer on. Low risk for both of them salary wise as well.

We've, check out the NHL video explaining the decision. They got this one right. The main point of contact was the shoulder. The camera angle showing Foligno's left side is a pretty classic optical illusion.

See, this is the problem with the NHL and why the knuckleheads in charge need to be sued out of existence. Brad Malone can take out a captain and all star anytime he wants. The NHL is far behind even the pathetic NFL on this issue.

Oh, and we'd all be fine if that was O'Reilly, right? It's "legal" afterall.

Kindl's contract obviously a factor. $2.4M cap hit this season and next. Makes $2.5M this season and $3M next season.

Per McKenzie.

I thought we have all the money in the world? We also can pay him to be in the AHL, just as well as Detroit can if it doesn't work out. We need to take some flyers on potential upgrades. Unless that's not part of "the plan."

Wtf is going on? Our D sucks. That's 2 D men in the last week we should have taken a flyer on. Low risk for both of them salary wise as well.

See, this is the problem with the NHL and why the knuckleheads in charge need to be sued out of existence. Brad ###### Malone can take out a captain and all star anytime he wants. The NHL is far behind even the pathetic NFL on this issue.

Oh, and we'd all be fine if that was O'Reilly, right? It's "legal" afterall.

How would you try and legislate that hit out of the game? Any hit that results in a head injury should be illegal? Should Soupy's famous hit also have been illegal?

:censored:

Darcy -- er, Timmy -- fiddles while Rome burns. And the tank goes on?

How would you try and legislate that hit out of the game? Any hit that results in a head injury should be illegal? Should Soupy's famous hit also have been illegal?

Yeah, it's a head scratcher. NHL #'s has them ~$7.2MM below the cap, he'd be 4th in salary on D, & even if they are at 50 contracts (which they may or may not be, but probably aren't) one would expect him to be more valuable than that 50th guy.

Punch would've grabbed him.

Is there something we're missing? Why'd Detroit send him down? Even if there's something major behind the scenes, would the $2.4 break them next year - VERY doubtful.

I'd be in the vast minority I'm sure, but all defenseless head shots should be illegal. None of this gray area . Head shots are not needed as part of the game. It'd probably help open up offense somewhat too. 5 game suspension for first and keep escalating the punishment for any additional occurrences by that player. They totally eliminated the bench clearing brawls. Why not this?

It's only people's health and wellbeing we're talking about here. No big deal.

If that's what it takes, yes. I want to see the best players play. I get zero entertainment value out of seeing a person suffer a brain injury.

The NHL is entertainment. Their compass should be "will this make our product more entertaining?" Seeing star players concussed and having their careers shortened isn't helping.

If that's what it takes, yes. I want to see the best players play. I get zero entertainment value out of seeing a person suffer a brain injury.

The NHL is entertainment. Their compass should be "will this make our product more entertaining?" Seeing star players concussed and having their careers shortened isn't helping.

Do you want no-check hockey?  Because I think that's the only way to make this hit disappear.

I dunno.  Head hits are going away in the NFL.  Has it resulted in less physical play there?

You can remove the head shots without removing all hits.

I'm not watching another 30 second ad to see the 12 second clip again, but I just couldn't conclude from that video that head contact was anything but an accident.

Canucks have asked Chris Higgins to stay home and are exploring trade options.

He has 2 g, 1 a in 25 games this year. The Canucks' record with him in the lineup is abysmal. The team made the announcement in hopes they can move him. 

Classy guy, but they are trying to get younger and they did the absolute right thing. Go all in on youth or you stay mediocre.