Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Deal worth 1.5 Million. He is the sixth highest paid DMan on the Kings @CBSSportsNHL: Report: Kings sign UFA D Christian Ehrhoff to 1-year, $1.5 million contract http://t.co/AHCqBTg0Fohttp://t.co/sGXTQM2QHc

Well, w/ that being the deal, looks like he, the Sabres, or both wanted nothing to do w/ hooking back up again. Too bad. He'd bring a skill set that the Sabres really need. Would have also allowed Risto to be the 3rd D rather than top 2.

Like a lot of what's happened this off-season, but would still like to see a vet that can be top 4 and a reasonable puck mover brought in. Still hoping one becomes available cheap when rosters get set though not expecting it.

Well, w/ that being the deal, looks like he, the Sabres, or both wanted nothing to do w/ hooking back up again. Too bad. He'd bring a skill set that the Sabres really need. Would have also allowed Risto to be the 3rd D rather than top 2.

Like a lot of what's happened this off-season, but would still like to see a vet that can be top 4 and a reasonable puck mover brought in. Still hoping one becomes available cheap when rosters get set though not expecting it.

He can always come back here next summer if he wants, and the team will be ready for a serious run then.

More DUI's for the NHL: Wild AC 

Minnesota Wild assistant coach Darryl Sydor was arrested late Thursday afternoon and charged with impaired driving and child endangerment after a test revealed a blood alcohol content of .30 -- almost four times the legal limit in Minnesota.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/13484002/minnesota-wild-assistant-coach-darryl-sydor-charged-drunken-driving

A random thought popped into my head today when hearing talk about Martin St. Louis retiring.  Can anyone thing of other major trades like that where both teams wound up going to the Stanley Cup Final in back to back years like that?  Or even better, where both teams faced each other like that?  I'm sure there are a few if you look at minor trades, but captain for captain like this one was, that's obviously a much higher profile deal.

Best NHL team with a Salary Cap? Anyone agree?

Jamie Benn ($5.25m) – Sidney Crosby ($8.7m) – Tyler Toffoli ($3.25m)

Tomas Tatar ($2.75m) – John Tavares ($5.5m) – Kyle Okposo ($2.8m)

Ondrej Palat ($3.333m) – Tyler Johnson ($3.333m) – Alex Semin ($1.1m)

Jason Zucker ($0.90025m) – Cody Eakin ($1.9m) – Justin Fontaine ($1m)

Total Forward Cap Hit: $38,816,916

Duncan Keith ($5.538m)  – Erik Karlsson ($6.5m)

Victor Hedman ($4m)  –   Justin Faulk ($4.833m)

Karl Alzner ($2.8m)  –  Tyson Barrie ($2.6m)

Total Defense Cap Hit: $26,271,694

Craig Anderson ($4.2m)

Eddie Lack ($1.15m)

Total Goalie Cap Hit: $5,350,000

Total Team Cap Hit: $70,438,610

http://thehockeywriters.com/cap-crunch-best-possible-nhl-team-within-salary-cap/

Personally, I take out Barrie/Alzner, replace them with cheaper alternatives, so I can have a better bottom 6 (Semin, really?)

Also, he has one big rule: "Additionally, not only will I not include any rookies in my roster, but I’ll also refrain from using any entry-level contracts at all"

Edited by WildCard

This is exactly what I am hoping for. It doesn't seem all-together likely now, but it would go a long way towards making me think we actually had a decent chance of contending for a playoff spot next season.

Without an addition on D, playoffs are a long shot.

I know what the popular wisdom is around here, but I'm not sure I buy into that pessimism.  I think it's entirely possible, maybe even likely, that the Sabres make the playoffs this year.  I don't think it hinges on one top-4 D as much as how long it takes Bylsma to get his system implemented.

Comparably, the Texas Rangers were on a downslide after making it to the World Series a couple of years ago.  They only have three regular field players left over from those teams though, and pitching was a mess.  They brought in a new manager and they were the worst team in the majors in April.  They're now in a wildcard spot, only 3.5 games out of the division lead.  The difference is a lot of youth and a good system implemented by the manager.

The Sabres could very well follow a similar trajectory this year.

When you look at how much the Sabres would have to improve (points-wise) to get there, it sounds like a monumental task.  But the past is over, and really, this year's Sabres have almost nothing to do with the teams that tanked.  Yeah, some of the players are carry-over, but I don't see *anyone* playing the way the team played last year.  By the first month of the season I think Bylsma will have eliminated the bad habits.  Then we'll have a better idea if the team has a legitimate playoff shot.

This is exactly what I am hoping for. It doesn't seem all-together likely now, but it would go a long way towards making me think we actually had a decent chance of contending for a playoff spot next season.

Guess it also depends how McCabe progresses over the summer, Also Donovan might pan out.

Ordered.  Used is all I could get, unless I wanted to spend over $35.  Used at $2 seemed more reasonable.  I'll have it somewhere between September 2 and September 19, which is an incredibly wide range.  

Not sure where to put this.  Fits as well here as anywhere, I guess.

So I was going through old notes on my phone.  Here is my note from March 5, 2013, 7:17 pm:

Foligno Porter Flynn Weber Brennan all on ice at same time.

Feels good knowing I'll never see that again!