2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Would it be?  I feel like Nylander being available at 8 would be lucky.

Well typically in the top 10 one team will pick someone who isn't a consensus as a top 10 pick. So I would say that with Tkachuk and Debuois in the top 10, the big 3 in the top ten and at least one of the defenders going in the top 10, it would only take one other player going over Nylander to get him to slide. Right now I would grade him out in the 6-9 range. Really depends on if Logan Brown's 6'6" stature helps propel him into that 5-7 range.

Possible top 10 picks outside the main 3:

Tkachuk, Chychrun, Dubois, Jost, Brown, Nylander, Juolevi, Sergachev, Keller, and McLeod. Now which of those guys go and in what order, no idea presently. 

ISS May rankings: http://www.isshockey.com/iss-hockey-releases-iss-top-30-for-may-2/

There's a few surprises in there. Puljujarvi at 2 ahead of Laine, Logan Brown at 7, Tyson Jost at 9, and Juolevi all the way at 11. 

When I was compiling my list of potential top 10 picks I used ISS rankings and saw the Laine/Puljujarvi thing and had wtf? moment.  I guess they see something there to make that call. Logan Brown at #7 if also a bit high especially compared to everyone else who has him at maybe 9-15 or so. Either way it is interesting because I like the ISS rankings a lot more than CSS rankings and Craig's list. 

When I was compiling my list of potential top 10 picks I used ISS rankings and saw the Laine/Puljujarvi thing and had wtf? moment.  I guess they see something there to make that call. Logan Brown at #7 if also a bit high especially compared to everyone else who has him at maybe 9-15 or so. Either way it is interesting because I like the ISS rankings a lot more than CSS rankings and Craig's list. 

Well if Puljujarvi is really better than Laine that means Toronto is picking the 3rd best prospect available!

Well if Puljujarvi is really better than Laine that means Toronto is picking the 3rd best prospect available!

Well that can't be true, have you read any of the news out of Toronto? Matthews is the best most superious generational superstar awesomesauze amazeballs player to enter the league since Wayne Gretzky. 

We will probably see more of Brown in the top 10 with his performance at the world under 18's.

Unfortunately McLoed didn't stand out at that tourney and now he is looking at the mid teens.

Fabbro is another guy that could surprise in the top 10 and break up the group of 3 dmen.

We will probably see more of Brown in the top 10 with his performance at the world under 18's.

Unfortunately McLoed didn't stand out at that tourney and now he is looking at the mid teens.

Fabbro is another guy that could surprise in the top 10 and break up the group of 3 dmen.

Well after Fabbro's U-18 I could see Buffalo even thinking about selecting him. A lot of places are really high on him right now. 

Well that can't be true, have you read any of the news out of Toronto? Matthews is the best most superious generational superstar awesomesauze amazeballs player to enter the league since Wayne Gretzky. 

Their first Superstar in their 99 year history - no pressure on him at all.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/lottery-winners-auston-matthews-is-the-superstar-maple-leafs-have-lacked-for-99-years/

Their first Superstar in their 99 year history - no pressure on him at all.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/lottery-winners-auston-matthews-is-the-superstar-maple-leafs-have-lacked-for-99-years/

lol, exactly. I feel like this can't even be close to true. 

30 greatest leafs (written in 2014).  I bet that Auston Matthews would be #1 on this list already and they haven't even drafted him. I feel like at least we were just excited for Jack but we didn't grovel before him. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/top-30-greatest-maple-leafs-of-all-time/

Edited by LGR4GM

Ivan Provorov was just named the WHL defender of the year with 73pts in 62 games. He was drafted 7th overall last year. In his draft year he had 61pts in 60games. Mikhail Sergachev of the OHL had 57pts in 67 games this year. The big 4 scouting sites have him at #8 with one at #9.  Seeing the similarities to Provorov, how comfortable would be you be taking Sergachev at #8?

Ivan Provorov was just named the WHL defender of the year with 73pts in 62 games. He was drafted 7th overall last year. In his draft year he had 61pts in 60games. Mikhail Sergachev of the OHL had 57pts in 67 games this year. The big 4 scouting sites have him at #8 with one at #9.  Seeing the similarities to Provorov, how comfortable would be you be taking Sergachev at #8?

Extremely. Naturally fluid skater.  Puck mover.  Gets shots through. Offensive skill and creativity. A year or 2 away from NHL ready but I would not be displeased if we took him.  And I think Provorov will be a star.  I wanted to package our entire draft after Jack to try and get him.  Probably wouldn't have been enough.

This year it will be Tim Murray

lol, would you trust him if he did do that?

Extremely. Naturally fluid skater.  Puck mover.  Gets shots through. Offensive skill and creativity. A year or 2 away from NHL ready but I would not be displeased if we took him.  And I think Provorov will be a star.  I wanted to package our entire draft after Jack to try and get him.  Probably wouldn't have been enough.

Mikhail Sergachev, 6'3" 206lbs LHD

He has high-end hockey IQ, and makes the smart play with the puck on his stick. Sergachev has a strong slap shot and an effective wrist shot, both of which he can use to score from the blueline. He keeps the puck low and gets it on net, even through heavy traffic, allowing his teammates to set-up screens, get tip-ins, and pounce on rebounds. Sergachev’s offensive game is among the best of any blueliner in this draft class, and he could be a power play quarterback in the NHL in just a few short years.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/04/09/mikhail-sergachev-scouting-report-2016-nhl-draft-10/

I am starting to wonder if his name was Conner McLean if he would easily be Buffalo's preferred choice at #8.

Edited by LGR4GM

Sergachev at 8 makes a lot of sense. Windsor (his OHL team) will be hosting the memorial cup next year - what  a great way to help his development. If you want your Top pair Dman to be physical he is definitely the choice over Chychrun and Joulevi.

Offensively he was impressive too.  It was his first season in NA and in first 13 games he has 2G and 3 assists. Once he gets acclimated to his new surroundings he put up 52 points over the remaining 54 games.

Has a big time shot, can play on the Power Play and in every game I've seen him play you can count on him to take it coast to coast at least once - either scoring himself or setting up a team-mate with an opportunity to score.

lol, would you trust him if he did do that?

Mikhail Sergachev, 6'3" 206lbs LHD

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/04/09/mikhail-sergachev-scouting-report-2016-nhl-draft-10/

I am starting to wonder if his name was Conner McLean if he would easily be Buffalo's preferred choice at #8.

Gord or Stu would work as well.

Sergachev at 8 makes a lot of sense. Windsor (his OHL team) will be hosting the memorial cup next year - what  a great way to help his development. If you want your Top pair Dman to be physical he is definitely the choice over Chychrun and Joulevi.

Offensively he was impressive too.  It was his first season in NA and in first 13 games he has 2G and 3 assists. Once he gets acclimated to his new surroundings he put up 52 points over the remaining 54 games.

Has a big time shot, can play on the Power Play and in every game I've seen him play you can count on him to take it coast to coast at least once - either scoring himself or setting up a team-mate with an opportunity to score.

The more I read up on guys and troll the interwebs for vids, the more I am leaning away from Chychrun and Juolevi... Sergachev has the most upside and is an animal. His only knock is consistency. Tough call if we have all 3 to chose from. 

ISS May rankings: http://www.isshockey.com/iss-hockey-releases-iss-top-30-for-may-2/

There's a few surprises in there. Puljujarvi at 2 ahead of Laine, Logan Brown at 7, Tyson Jost at 9, and Juolevi all the way at 11. 

On the day that Laine received the Liiga rookie of the year award, unanimously. Every single one of the 58 votes was for him. Okay, ISS.

I had the chance to see him play against Mississauga and he put the wood to Nylander on a beautiful body check. Nylander thought he had a gap and Sergachev closed it without a fuss and cleanly painted him into to glass, grabbed the puck and turned up ice.  I became anfan instantly. Nylander was also impressive. Either would be great adds.

I watched a couple highlight reels (I know, I know, you don't have to say it) and fell in love with Sergachev. I'd still probably prefer Juolevi, but Sergachev is just so damn dynamic.

To the learned: Are this year's 5 to 10 slots much better than last year's, or am I simply paying more attention because last year was a McEichel feeding frenzy?

From GMTM himself in a radio interview on GR. 5-10 are deeper this year compared to last.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.