2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Samson did more than Sam and is the better hockey player... OMG HOW MANY PULLUPS CAN THE DEFENDERS DO!!!! 

lol, I had forgotten about that but god was that a good narrative. Sam Bennett didn't do pullups. The fact the kid needed shoulder surgery seemed to get left out. lol gotta love the media spin machine, it's like a washer on crack tossed into a tornado that is getting nob gobbled by a hurricane.

Wasn't the shoulder injured in training camp, i.e., well after he couldn't do the pullups?

Would he have injured his shoulder had it been stronger?

I know we need D more than forward but best case for me is Nylander falls and we take him.  Then make a trade for a top 4 D.  Check out the video on him.  The one thing that stands out is he seems to have a very high hockey IQ.  The one assist he passes from behind the net reminds me of Reinhart.

Thanks for that.  Good write-up.  This article mentions how he's still learning defensively but I've read some other reports that he is already above average in this area and actually plays the PK often. 

At one time I wanted to trade the 8th pick for immediate D help.  But after reading up on these guys and watching some film, I think we find another way to make a trade and hold the pick.  No matter what we should be getting a good prospect.

fixed  :flirt:

Edited by LGR4GM

Good compilation, thanks.  My God he has skill.  Doesn't have near the strength needed for NHL hockey (especially playoffs) but that skill is incredible.  We have a ton of big players and it would be nice adding a big time skill player like Nylander. 

Reinhart - Eichel - Nylander in 3 years could be fun.

This is a funny exchange:

Patrick O'Sullivan Retweeted WillNyTheHockeyGuy

Matthews goes after Eichel it's just a fact from credible scouts. @MarkSeidel just said it on @SiriusXMNHL mins ago.

The Leafs Nation Retweeted Patrick O'Sullivan

Matthews has outscored Eichel at literally every level they've both played in at the same age, but okay, sure.

Patrick O'Sullivan Retweeted The Leafs Nation

I out scored Jeff Carter and others at every level....not everything is better the instant it's associated with TOR

That point gets played up a lot...but Eichel didn't separate himself as a franchise-level prospect until his pre draft season at BU which was ludicrously successful, and better by eye and by NHLe than Matthews' pre draft season that he went through months older than what Eichel was at that time.

Nylander ain't bad  ;)

If we draft him I'd do exactly what we did with Reinhart, bring him up for 9 games, then send him back with instructions to build up his body

Its nice having Eichel and Reinhart already, we don't have to worry about getting a franchise center

Good compilation, thanks.  My God he has skill.  Doesn't have near the strength needed for NHL hockey (especially playoffs) but that skill is incredible.  We have a ton of big players and it would be nice adding a big time skill player like Nylander. 

Reinhart - Eichel - Nylander in 3 years could be fun.

Plus he is thought of as being a better prospect than his brother. Would be fun to have the better Nylander on the Sabres!!

Wish we knew what Vesey was doing prior to the draft. If you land him then you go Dman in draft, if you don't you probably go forward. Assuming all potential draft prospects are ranked about the same

Edited by Crusader1969

Plus he is thought of as being a better prospect than his brother. Would be fun to have the better Nylander on the Sabres!!

Wish we knew what Vesey was doing prior to the draft. If you land him then you go Dman in draft, if you don't you probably go forward. Assuming all potential draft prospects are ranked about the same

Only one time.  One.  That Buffalo had the better brother.  And we about ran him outta town.  Now the better Reinhart AND the better Nylander?  could it be?

Doesn't he also play RW? Listed as that on most sites

Don't agree we necessarily go forward if we aren't getting Vesey. D is still our biggest need. 

And it's not like Canada waltzed to the gold either. They stunk and he wasn't good enough to make the team.

I know, our treatment of Keith Gretzky was shameful.

I read somewhere that Chychrun put up 31pts in 32 games after that though.

Rumours are mtl is offering their pick plus Beaulieu to Edm and would then draft Dubois

Interview with Benning today indicates he is looking at a forward with Sedins getting older and without apparent #1 D in draft. Guessing they would be looking at Dubois or Brown who could play centre for them. Pick would then be Brown with Dubois off the board.

Calgary's Burke was on TSN overdrive today and said he was relieved they didn't fall to 7th because they are looking at 3 guys who would fit the profile of what they are looking for. Gotta think he is talking tkachcuk brown and Dubois because all have size. Calgary drafts Tkachuk,

7th - Arizona is where Nylander goes to add to their impressive core of young forwards. Since OEM is a LHD, I can't see them taking a Dman to play on their 2nd pairing long term with talent like Nylander available

Leaves the Sabres with all 3 Dman on the board at 8.

Crusader of hope.

It would be ideal if 2 of the dmen and Nylander are still on the board, or better yet, all 3 D.

What is more important, getting Juolevi/Chychrun to be Risto's future partner, or getting Nylander to be Jack's future right winger?

I think I'd go with the former.

At this stage of our rebuild, I just want the best prospect. If we can pick up another Risto at #8 or a better Nylander, I am all in. Name and position are meaningless, I think we need to best hockey player, we can figure out position and needs later. This is probably/hopefully the last time we pick in the top 10 for a long time.

Skill and speed are prerequisites in my opinion. The nice thing about the foreign boys though is that we can start them in Rochester if they aren't ready for the immediate jump to the NHL instead of sending them back to Junioirs. This way if they become ready half way thru the season we can bring them to the big club faster.

There is always a surprise pick in the top 10 so everything we hear from the media thru opinion or interviews is all BS with the possible exception of the Leafs and Jets.

At this stage of our rebuild, I just want the best prospect. If we can pick up another Risto at #8 or a better Nylander, I am all in. Name and position are meaningless, I think we need to best hockey player, we can figure out position and needs later. This is probably/hopefully the last time we pick in the top 10 for a long time.

Skill and speed are prerequisites in my opinion. The nice thing about the foreign boys though is that we can start them in Rochester if they aren't ready for the immediate jump to the NHL instead of sending them back to Junioirs. This way if they become ready half way thru the season we can bring them to the big club faster.

There is always a surprise pick in the top 10 so everything we hear from the media thru opinion or interviews is all BS with the possible exception of the Leafs and Jets.

Not sure exactly what you mean by foreign boys but, Nylander, Juolevi, Sergachev would all be ineligible to be assigned directly to Rochester. They all currently play in the Canadian Juniors which is where being unable to assign them to Rochester comes from. All 3 players would either have to play on their respective junior teams or they would have to jump ship to a euro league or they could make the Sabres. Rochester is not an option.  Matthews, Laine, and Puljujarvi all could but they of course wouldn't be available at #8.

Not sure exactly what you mean by foreign boys but, Nylander, Juolevi, Sergachev would all be ineligible to be assigned directly to Rochester. They all currently play in the Canadian Juniors which is where being unable to assign them to Rochester comes from. All 3 players would either have to play on their respective junior teams or they would have to jump ship to a euro league or they could make the Sabres. Rochester is not an option.  Matthews, Laine, and Puljujarvi all could but they of course wouldn't be available at #8.

Nice catch, that's what happens when you post before you have your morning coffee. Actually I forgot Nylander came over this year to the OHL, didn't he play in Sweden prior??? Having said that it doesn't change my basic premise of taking the BPA.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.