2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

1) I've been toying with the idea of different criteria for center v wing. Could simply be that Murray values athletic attributes more for his wingers, and hockey sense more for his centers. Or, he simply thinks Kane is a smarter player than I do.

And, in fairness, E Kane started to show some wicked pissah hockey smahts (or at least some) in the final third of the season, or so.

It may also be that GM TM looks at the roster as a whole, and wants some hockey IQ types and some bull in a china shop types.

And, in fairness, E Kane started to show some wicked pissah hockey smahts (or at least some) in the final third of the season, or so.

It may also be that GM TM looks at the roster as a whole, and wants some hockey IQ types and some bull in a china shop types.

IMHO, it seems to me that Kane has good hockey sense but as has been mentioned of this board many times (1st by TW (?)) has a very narrow field of vision (especially when he is flying w/ the puck) & that limits his game. If it is the field of vision that's the issue, playing w/ set line mates could move his game up a level as they end up where he expects them & he doesn't have to see them to make a play.

I think that if Olli Juolevi is there, considering his international play and hockey IQ, that Murray takes Juolevi over Sergachev. I think that it is a safer choice but Juolevi has all the skill to be a solid top 2 defender especially as the shut down role compared to Ristolainen's offense role. Will this be the pick? idk, still to far out. 

IMHO, it seems to me that Kane has good hockey sense but as has been mentioned of this board many times (1st by TW (?)) has a very narrow field of vision (especially when he is flying w/ the puck) & that limits his game. If it is the field of vision that's the issue, playing w/ set line mates could move his game up a level as they end up where he expects them & he doesn't have to see them to make a play.

Very interesting - thanks!

Nobody has answer yet as to what Russian players Murray has failed to draft that he could have. All I see is trading the pick that was used for Tarasenko, no other good Russians have been passed up by him.

You'd think that out of 50 or 60 picks a Russian would have been atop his board once. The fact he dumped Darcy's Russians only adds fuel. Hope you're right but the circumstantial evidence is hefty.

Would Pysyk and #8 get us #4 from Edmonton?

It should if 8 and 4 are as close as they say. I hope it doesn't happen.

Excellent point. He seems to have a very holistic view of team building.

Ok, so Murray won't likely lean Chychrun, because he's potentially not a "Murray type" player, and he won't pick Sergachev, because he doesn't normally select Russians? Is that the rough consensus? So it's Juolevi or bust. He's not going to be there at 8.

We seem too be in a world of hurt when it comes to our defensive outlook.

Obviously I have no idea what GMTM is thinking, but I really didn't hear anything bad about Chychrun until the last 48 hours.  Not really sure what happened where he went from great prospect to radioactive in the couple days.

Obviously I have no idea what GMTM is thinking, but I really didn't hear anything bad about Chychrun until the last 48 hours.  Not really sure what happened where he went from great prospect to radioactive in the couple days.

I've been concerned with his slow season-long slide down rankings for awhile, though I certainly wouldn't consider him radioactive :)

I've been concerned with his slow season-long slide down rankings for awhile, though I certainly wouldn't consider him radioactive :)

Well, when you barely move down the rankings, it's going to be a slow slide.

He went from -11 last year to +23 this year, and stayed healthy after all the concerns about his shoulder.  It just sounds like Juolevi had a better season, and maybe Sergachev did too.  He still seems like an easy choice for a Top 10 pick.

There were expectation that Chychrun would dominate do to his physical maturity. He didn't and has given some scouts pause. They question whether his trajectory is flattening.

Well, when you barely move down the rankings, it's going to be a slow slide.

He went from -11 last year to +23 this year, and stayed healthy after all the concerns about his shoulder.  It just sounds like Juolevi had a better season, and maybe Sergachev did too.  He still seems like an easy choice for a Top 10 pick.

Oh, I think he's a lock for a top-10 pick, and could still go top-5. But I think going from preseason consensus #2 overall and clearly the top D in the draft to possibly the 3rd best D in the draft and maybe being drafted in the 6-10 range rather than top-3 is more noteworthy than you're making it out to be. 

Juolevi has been great in international play, it's one of the main reasons for his rise. Chychrun was great in his teams playoffs and I think his game is being over analyzed a bit.

Could be. If nothing else, media types have to produce articles and it's hard to do that if the rankings don't shift or there's no controversy.

There were expectation that Chychrun would dominate do to his physical maturity. He didn't and has given some scouts pause. They question whether his trajectory is flattening.

Not an unreasonable thought to have, IMO, particularly when others showed significant growth.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

In multiple scouting reports they discuss Juolevi's play for team Finland. It's a major factor. Chychrun has just been okay in the same situations and was cut from team Canada. I really think we need more info before we judge either.

Oh, I think he's a lock for a top-10 pick, and could still go top-5. But I think going from preseason consensus #2 overall and clearly the top D in the draft to possibly the 3rd best D in the draft and maybe being drafted in the 6-10 range rather than top-3 is more noteworthy than you're making it out to be. 

It'd be more noteworthy to me if it were a result of him struggling or not improving.  By all accounts, he had a great season and stepped his game up.  It's just that other guys stepped it up even more -- which isn't crazy when you're watching 17 year olds develop.  

In multiple scouting reports they discuss Juolevi's play for team Finland. It's a major factor. Chychrun has just been okay in the same situations and was cut from team Canada. I really think we need more info before we judge either.

Is there really anything left though?

It'd be more noteworthy to me if it were a result of him struggling or not improving.  By all accounts, he had a great season and stepped his game up.  It's just that other guys stepped it up even more -- which isn't crazy when you're watching 17 year olds develop.  

Fair. The expectations difference between them would likely compound this as well.

And realistically, if he did improve as much as the 2 Euros wouldn't he essentially have been the D equivalent of McDavid?

Is there really anything left though?

Fair. The expectations difference between them would likely compound this as well.

The combine is useless except for the one important part, what teams say about players and positions after it. The tests and measures are pointless but the interviews and what teams say after should help clear some things up.

I like all the defenders honestly. Which ever one makes us better, I hope we draft him.

And realistically, if he did improve as much as the 2 Euros wouldn't he essentially have been the D equivalent of McDavid?

This is what I'm wondering. I think it's hard for top defenders to improve a lot in juniors but I could be wrong.

Could be. If nothing else, media types have to produce articles and it's hard to do that if the rankings don't shift or there's no controversy.

Not an unreasonable thought to have, IMO, particularly when others showed significant growth.

This. We're currently solidly in the "well, some scouts have the said consensus #2 pick might be really close to the #1 pick now!" part of the rhythm. It's happened the last three years. Before that year, I think it was the 3-way tie of Drouin/MacKinnon/Jones that do they had to update their articles a bit to talk about Barkov might challenge the big 3.

The combine is useless except for the one important part, what teams say about players and positions after it. The tests and measures are pointless but the interviews and what teams say after should help clear some things up.

I like all the defenders honestly. Which ever one makes us better, I hope we draft him.

This is what I'm wondering. I think it's hard for top defenders to improve a lot in juniors but I could be wrong.

That's not true, sir. Everyone knows the number of pull ups these kids do is critical.

Edited by Drunkard

That's not true, sir. Everyone knows the number of pull ups these kids do is essential.

Samson did more than Sam and is the better hockey player... OMG HOW MANY PULLUPS CAN THE DEFENDERS DO!!!! 

lol, I had forgotten about that but god was that a good narrative. Sam Bennett didn't do pullups. The fact the kid needed shoulder surgery seemed to get left out. lol gotta love the media spin machine, it's like a washer on crack tossed into a tornado that is getting nob gobbled by a hurricane.

The more I read about Nylander the more I like him. Think he'd be a great fit if we go forward.

Benning on TSN 1040, stated that they will both talk to other GM's about trading up or down depending on the offer.  Trading up to secure one of the better defensemen or Tkachuk would be my preference to Alex Nylander. 

The more I read about Nylander the more I like him. Think he'd be a great fit if we go forward.

Alexander Nylander: 6' 172lbs LW who shoots right.

Alexander Nylander is a tremendous skater.  He has top notch speed and great acceleration, as he is able to reach that top gear in just a few strides. Nylander has the ability to fool defenders by dropping his shoulder and exploding past them to the outside. Add in his excellent agility and the ability to change directions extremely quickly, as well as top notch stickhandling ability and he can be a nightmare for defencemen off the rush.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/04/07/alexander-nylander-scouting-report-2016-nhl-draft-8/

Edited by LGR4GM

I know we need D more than forward but best case for me is Nylander falls and we take him.  Then make a trade for a top 4 D.  Check out the video on him.  The one thing that stands out is he seems to have a very high hockey IQ.  The one assist he passes from behind the net reminds me of Reinhart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXk5kR8QbDI

Thanks for that.  Good write-up.  This article mentions how he's still learning defensively but I've read some other reports that he is already above average in this area and actually plays the PK often. 

At one time I wanted to trade the 8th pick for immediate D help.  But after reading up on these guys and watching some film, I think we find another way to make a trade and hold the pick.  No matter what we should be getting a good prospect.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.