Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Given the Chiefs schedule, that about does it. Feels like we're the 9th place Sabres of old

Fire that DC

The Chiefs could win the division.  Buffalo either has, or can have, a tiebreak against almost everyone in the race if the Chiefs win their division.  Not over, though this was an awful loss today.

Edited by JujuFish

Rex saying a deep safety took Sammy out of the game shows you how much trust they have in Tyrod to make any throw aside from the deep ball.

This is where I'd love to know what's actually going on. Do they coach him not to throw except under certain circumstances or does Taylor himself lack the confidence or vision to do so? It's bad either way, I'm just curious.

Bortles' accuracy is just all over the map. My general opinion is accuracy doesn't get better (to any degree that makes a difference, anyway), which is why I'd move on. But yea, they probably won't, which is why I prefaced it with an "if" statement.

I don't think a player's ability to be accurate changes, but I do think completion percentages can change as they get a consistent feel for the NFL and schemes. I think Bortles has the abilities bu the numbers haven't reflected it yet. Matt Ryan and Eli Manning are two examples of guys who saw their completion percentages steadily improved over time (Eli's a bit sporadic but still better now than it was to start).

There is absolutely no chance they move on from a 23-year-old QB trending upward that they drafted in the top 5 two years ago.

Edited by Hoss

I don't think a player's ability to be accurate changes, but I do think completion percentages can change as they get a consistent feel for the NFL and schemes. I think Bortles has the abilities bu the numbers haven't reflected it yet. Matt Ryan and Eli Manning are two examples of guys who saw their completion percentages steadily improved over time (Eli's a bit sporadic but still better now than it was to start).

There is absolutely no chance they move on from a 23-year-old QB trending upward that they drafted in the top 5 two years ago.

...unless they change regimes. Then all bets are off.

...unless they change regimes. Then all bets are off.

If a regime changes they still aren't making the change. He's got the makings of a superstar QB. It's just not happening. I won't move on this point.

(No, I'm not saying he will be a superstar. He's 23 and was a top-five draft pick two years ago. There's far too much potential there)

Edited by Hoss

If a regime changes they still aren't making the change. He's got the makings of a superstar QB. It's just not happening. I won't move on this point.

If you won't move on this point, at least move off the superstar QB point. He could become a good starter, but he's got a better chance of being cut in practice this week than becoming a superstar. Tell me, what superstar QB has poor accuracy?

If you won't move on this point, at least move off the superstar QB point. He could become a good starter, but he's got a better chance of being cut in practice this week than becoming a superstar. Tell me, what superstar QB has poor accuracy?

Absolutely not. Because there is ZERO chance of him being cut this week but there's at least a DECENT chance he becomes a superstar. I don't necessarily expect him to become a star, but he's got the potential to be. He will not be moved this offseason.

And we've already been over the accuracy. He's inconsistent with it, but there's a chance those numbers go way up as he gets his footing in year three (and he gets a better supporting cast on the o-line). He's not an inaccurate passer in the way EJ Manuel is. Much closer to Eli Manning (who is a superstar QB with two rings) early in his career. 

Edited by Hoss

Absolutely not. Because there is ZERO chance of him being cut this week but there's at least a DECENT chance he becomes a superstar. I don't necessarily expect him to become a star, but he's got the potential to be. He will not be moved this offseason.

And we've already been over the accuracy. He's inconsistent with it, but there's a chance those numbers go way up as he gets his footing in year three (and he gets a better supporting cast on the o-line). He's not an inaccurate passer in the way EJ Manuel is. Much closer to Eli Manning (who is a superstar QB with two rings) early in his career.

I don't think Eli is a superstar. Even you said earlier you don't really think he should be in the HoF. And Eli's football acumen is very good, not sure Bortles' is. If Cian Fahey is right, he threw the ball twice today after running past the LOS. Imagine if a Bills QB did that in a loss? He'd get strung up :lol:

Eli Manning :D

Not a superstar. Unless you have a much more lenient definition than I do. Edited by TrueBlueGED

I don't think Eli is a superstar. Even you said earlier you don't really think he should be in the HoF. And Eli's football acumen is very good, not sure Bortles' is. If Cian Fahey is right, he threw the ball twice today after running past the LOS. Imagine if a Bills QB did that in a loss? He'd get strung up :lol:

Eli is a superstar in that he's a lock for the HoF (even I don't think he should be) and has won two SBs. And I don't really care about him throwing after the line of scrimmage. Good QBs have done that. Mistakes will always be made.

Completion percentages through two seasons as starters:

Peyton Manning: 59.3%

Eli Manning: 51.6%

Matt Ryan: 59.9%

Drew Brees: 59.5%

Blake Bortles: 57.8%

I normally hate the comparisons of elite QBs to prospects, but it holds water when the player is clearly a competent and capable QB.

This morphed from whether or not the Jags would move on from Bortles. There's zero chance of that happen. There's a CHANCE he becomes a superstar QB, but that's pretty irrelevant to the Bills (at least right now).

Edited by Hoss

With our expected draft position, we're obviously not getting a franchise QB any time soon.  It still stands to reason that Tyrod will get marginally better with experience.  What's perhaps more troubling is we hired a "defensive genius" as head coach and we're playing worse defense than last year.  We were top-5 last year in both yards per game and points per game allowed.  We are 17th and 14th (before today) in those categories this year.  And, KC just dropped 30 points and 413 yards on us today.

I think we both know completion percentage is a pretty terrible proxy for accuracy. Disagree? I give you Ryan Fitzpatrick! :)

Sure. Which I addressed above in my saying that I believe Bortles has the ability to be accurate but the number haven't reflected it yet. That was the case for the players I listed above.

With our expected draft position, we're obviously not getting a franchise QB any time soon.  It still stands to reason that Tyrod will get marginally better with experience.  What's perhaps more troubling is we hired a "defensive genius" as head coach and we're playing worse defense than last year.  We were top-5 last year in both yards per game and points per game allowed.  We are 17th and 14th (before today) in those categories this year.  And, KC just dropped 30 points and 413 yards on us today.

On the first two sentences: I disagree. We're not locked into one draft position. A good GM will consider the trade up if it needs to be done. On Tyrod: experience may help him slightly, but he needs to make some giant leaps in some areas of his game... And find a magical medical breakthrough that keeps you healthy.

On the rest: I agree. It's troubling that they brought in a defensive guy to a team loaded with defensive talent who has had a much worse team.

What did Whaley do wrong? He built tge team that should have won today and been a leader in the playoff race. Instead, the coaches ###### it up! You can blame him for hiring Rex but you can't have it both ways. If you think Terry and Kim hired Rex, you can't blane Doug

EJ. Watkins Trade. He hired Rex.

There are more than a few murmurs that Whaley wanted Hue Jackson and Rex was predominantly a Pegula hire. No way we'll ever get the full story on that though.

Jackson says it was a collective decision. Does say Pegula ran the interview process (which is stupid as ######)

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/01/28/hue-jackson-gives-insight-bills-interview-process-absolutely-kept-jim-schwartz/

Get your hands off, Terry. You have no clue what you're doing.

But that doesn't excuse Whaley. He put this team together and it has failed. Regardless of whether you believe they have the personnel that SHOULD be a playoff team... They aren't. That's what matters. Shoulda coulda woulda means nothing.

Edited by Hoss

Half-hearted defense of Rex (I'm at the gym, cut me some slack): bad coaching is everywhere. Mike Tomlin, Super Bowl winner, just had his backup QB throw a pass to his backup LT. It was intercepted. Pete Carroll, Super Bowl winner (almost 2x) has Jimmy Graham blocking more than running routes down the seam. Because any time you can force your best receiving option to do something he's terrible at you just have to do it.

What is trying to say is I'd dump Rex in a heartbeat if it got us Belichick. There no reason to think we'd end up with a meaningful improvement though.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.