Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

He's probably had some similar stat lines, but it was because he had the ability to do things that he failed at doing during the game. Sanchez just doesn't have the ability.

Of course he has the ability to do things Sanchez can't, his arm talent is insane. The fact he's so inconsistent and will he good for ~6 Sanchez-esque games per year is my problem with him. Super talent, but lacks high end football acumen.

Of course he has the ability to do things Sanchez can't, his arm talent is insane. The fact he's so inconsistent and will he good for ~6 Sanchez-esque games per year is my problem with him. Super talent, but lacks high end football acumen.

This isn't really saying anything. Every QB will have off games each year. What are you defining as Sanchez-esque? Stafford certainly doesn't have six brutal games a year. He'll have that many "bad" games but he doesn't go off the deep end that much.

This isn't really saying anything. Every QB will have off games each year. What are you defining as Sanchez-esque? Stafford certainly doesn't have six brutal games a year. He'll have that many "bad" games but he doesn't go off the deep end that much.

It's saying more than you deflecting my performance point by turning it into a talent point :p

He'll have 1-2 games each year where he's some combination of under 60% completions, 6 YPA, 0-1 TDs and toss 3 picks. The turdburgers of quarterbacking, if you will. Then he'll have another few where he's conventional bad. Yea he'll have a couple elite games in there which make your eyes bulge out, but it's never (outside of one season) consistent. That screams football acumen to me.

I think he's a half step above Jay Cutler. Yea, I'd take him if the price is right and he's better than what we have, but I'd never trust him to string together a quality run through the playoffs.

Totally unrelated, but Travis Kelce hurt his ankle in practice and is questionable. Even if he plays buy is limited, that's pretty big. Makes me feel a *little* better about Mario being out.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

I think just about any quarterback in the league will give you 1-2 (most more) games with a combination of the stats you just mentioned.

Tom Brady has as many of those games this year as Stafford does (one).

Stafford's ultimate lows aren't that drastically low. His median game isn't where you want it to be, but his highs are as good as any. If he gets into a groove in the playoffs he can win a title.

I agree he's inconsistent but very few QBs aren't. Brady, Rodgers, Luck, Rivers, Ryan, Mariota, Cam and Big Ben are the only ones I'm definitively taking over him. Bortles, Carr and Wilson are right there with him (age on Bortles and Carr has me thinking long-term upside and I hesitate on Wilson because he needs the perfect situation). No on Brees and Palmer due to age.

None of the guys listed above have a shot at becoming available. Stafford is the best vet you're going to get in this league in a trade/free agency. That's if Detroit moves on.

I STILL prefer Goff/Lynch though.

Rex said after the game he finally recognized the scheme wasn't a fit for the d-line so he was doing some different things last game. Far too late for that recognition, but there's probably some legitimacy to the "Rex finally figured it out."

The interesting thing is that Rex implied that he tried to tailor the defense to what they did last year and it wasn't working with the rest of his defensive scheme. Moving Mario inside seemed to make a difference.

False.... They played arguably one of the most patched together o lines this year and will most likely not see that success again.

I also think Rex gets away from the tricky he used on Brady, as that was a game specific thing.

They got to Brady, a ton. The problem was, when they had him cornered, all they had to do was make on tackle or cover the underneath guy, and every time someone blew an assignment. 

John Miller and Mario Williams are out for Sunday, and Kelce was hurt in practice today

Edited by WildCard

Cook has a passing td early in the Michigan State game. Just saying.... 

Paxton Lynch had seven (yes, 7) TDs in the FIRST HALF today. I don't care who it was against. That's impressive. His coach is leaving for Va Tech so that's probably a clear sign that he's coming out. I love this QB draft. Losing these next two games wouldn't be the worst thing. If they don't come out firing in KC I'm going to be rooting the other way.

This is relatively useless information and unprompted, but I figured I would share since I decided to check myself.

I saw a post from the NFL how Washington has started 10 different QBs since Eli Manning made his first start in Week 10 in 2004... So I decided to check out the same stat for the Bills. The Bills have started 11 QBs in that time (Tyrod, EJ, Orton, Tuel, Thad, Fitz, Brohm, Edwards, Losman, Holcomb, Bledsoe).

Here is their stat line compared to Eli's (accounting for partial Bledsoe season and subtracting the three completions and 66 yards Eli got as a backup in 2004)

Bills QBs: 2866 for 4966 (57.8%) for 32,954 yards. 194 TDs, 169 INTs. 74-103 with zero postseason appearances.

Eli Manning: 3553 for 5984 (59.4%) for 42,389 yards. 280 TDs, 191 INTs. 96-81 with five postseason appearances.

(Considering they're in different conference this obviously means very little. I just did the research for my own needs and figured I could share it with SOMEBODY). Tom Brady would be a more interesting one to see... I put his statline since the same exact moment Eli started in 2004 (didn't want to put the effort in to expand it to Tom's first regular season start).

Tom Brady: 3701 for 5752 (64.3%) for 44,218 yards. 331 TDs, 101 INTs. 128-34 with 10 postseason appearances.

Let's figure out that position.

(In case you're wondering, the Cleveland Browns have started 18 QBs during the same time span. That includes the McCown brothers (Luke in 2004, Josh in 2015) and two QBs that also started for Buffalo - Thad and Holcomb).

Edited by Hoss

This week was a great one for a lot of the top QBs in this draft. Rivalry week is a huge week for a lot of these teams, so it's nice to see them stepping up when it counts.

Jared Goff (Cal) - 30 for 51 for 542 yards, 5 TDs and 0 INTs (so far - game vs Arizona State ongoing)

Paxton Lynch (Memphis) - 9 for 14 for 222 yards, 7 TDs and 0 INTs (did not play a snap in second half as they routed SMU)

Connor Cook (MSU) - 19 for 26 for 248 yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs (win over Penn State to clinch spot in Big Ten championship)

Kevin Hogan (Stanford) - 17 for 21 for 269 yards, 4 TDs and 0 INTs (win over No. 6 Notre Dame in big rivalry game to keep playoff hopes alive)

Christian Hackenberg (Penn St) - 22 for 39 for 257 yards, 2 TDs and 2 INTs (team got routed by Michigan State but he still had a decent game behind the worst o-line in CFB)

Right now I'm really into this draft for QBs. I think it's got two stars (Goff and Lynch), a kid with star potential but accuracy questions (Cook) and then some guys who will need to sit for some fine tuning who could become legitimate NFL starters (Hogan, Hackenberg, Jones, Wentz). Brissett is a bit of a wildcard.

Goff gets compared to Matt Ryan constantly. One thing Matt Ryan struggles with in the NFL is redzone play, but I don't think I've ever seen a prospect better in that area than Goff. I'd take him in the top five.

Lynch reminds me of... I'm going to say it... Tom Brady (as a passer - I can't say as much about leadership or fire for the game yet). I would take him first overall. We've heard the Bills talked to his high school football coach.

Connor Cook reminds me a bit of Andy Dalton with better leadership qualities. I would take him in the top half of the first, but I believe you'll have to take him in the top ten.

Cardale Jones reminds me of Byron Leftwich. I would feel comfortable taking him in round five if I'm a team with an aging QB who can tutor him for a few years. The Bills aren't that team.

Christian Hackenberg has an Andrew Luck-type skillset but you've really got to really dig deep on him. Has playing in a terrible situation at Penn State damaged him? Can he prove his sometimes abysmal numbers weren't just him? He's a guy I would consider as early as round three if my research on him shines a favorable light and I feel comfortable sitting him at least one full season.

Kevin Hogan plays like Jay Cutler without Jay Cutler's arm talent. I think he'll develop into a good backup in the NFL with a small chance at turning into a middle-of-the-pack starter. His leadership qualities could make him a bit of a steal, though. I'd take him in round five and MAYBE four if he has a good senior bowl/combine (I don't like putting much stock in those but Hogan is a guy that could really make or break his stock there).

I'm still trying to get a handle on Carson Wentz and Jacoby Brissett. I'm not interested in any of the other guys.

But will the Bills use their #1 on a QB?

If Whaley is still the GM (which I do not think will be the case), I think they won't.

Unless Tyrod suddenly transforms into a legitimate starter it will need to be the focus of the offseason. If they end up 7-9 or below then they should be able to move up for one of the top three. Those are the only first round QBs this year.

Beyond that you're getting so many question marks which means you're likely getting the same result as the QBs we've had this century.

Unless Tyrod suddenly transforms into a legitimate starter it will need to be the focus of the offseason. If they end up 7-9 or below then they should be able to move up for one of the top three. Those are the only first round QBs this year.

Beyond that you're getting so many question marks which means you're likely getting the same result as the QBs we've had this century.

How many times have 3 QBs ended up going in the top 15? I'm too lazy to look it up but it can't be many if ever. I think one if them falls to the late teens or 20s where we hope the Bills are picking. Edited by inkman

How many times have 3 QBs ended up going in the top 15? I'm too lazy to look it up but it can't be many if ever. I think one if them falls to the late teens or 20s where we hope the Bills are picking.

I highly doubt it with the way the talent is and the teams that will be essentially locks to draft one. Cleveland will without a doubt and may have the number one pick. Houston, Washington, San Francisco, Dallas, Jets, Bills, Bears and Rams will all be strongly considering drafting. I imagine there will be a trade up for one of the other two and the other winds up going top ten.

How many times have 3 QBs ended up going in the top 15? I'm too lazy to look it up but it can't be many if ever. I think one if them falls to the late teens or 20s where we hope the Bills are picking.

I don't feel like looking it up but I know off the top of my head,

The year Plunkett, Manning and Pastorini

The year we drafted Lossman

And the Andrew Luck draft

Pretty sure the Tim Couch draft

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.