Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

I'm inching ever closer to swamps corner. It's gotten absurd.

The whole league.  We're attuned to Bills games because that's probably 60-90 percent of what we watch.  But when I do watch another game, yeah, it's there, too.  Detroit last week was an outstanding example, but this league cannot get out of its own way with bad calls.  I mean BAD calls.  The Bills have played five games, and there are already two OFFENSIVE pass interference calls where the defender just fell down.  What the kind of league is this?

The whole league. We're attuned to Bills games because that's probably 60-90 percent of what we watch. But when I do watch another game, yeah, it's there, too. Detroit last week was an outstanding example, but this league cannot get out of its own way with bad calls. I mean BAD calls. The Bills have played five games, and there are already two OFFENSIVE pass interference calls where the defender just fell down. What the ###### kind of league is this?

It's to the point where I never celebrate a play as it happens because I want to wait a few seconds after it ends to be sure there's no flag.

The NFL is actually a terrible product. It's saved by the fact that football is the ideal sport for gambling and fantasy (and both together, as the one million Fan Duel ads illustrate) but a pretty lousy product nonetheless.

It's to the point where I never celebrate a play as it happens because I want to wait a few seconds after it ends to be sure there's no flag.

The NFL is actually a terrible product. It's saved by the fact that football is the ideal sport for gambling and fantasy (and both together, as the one million Fan Duel ads illustrate) but a pretty lousy product nonetheless.

Everything about this post is right.  The first sentence draws you in and the other sentences complete it.

Everything about this post is right.  The first sentence draws you in and the other sentences complete it.

The NFL has had competitors though, and has managed to beat every one of them. Was that because the league was better back then and has dropped off considerably?

I'm inching ever closer to swamps corner. It's gotten absurd.

I don't think I've ever enjoyed a win less.

It's a bad product at the pro level. I agree.

The NFL has had competitors though, and has managed to beat every one of them. Was that because the league was better back then and has dropped off considerably?

No.  It's because the most talented players go where the most money is, and that's the NFL. Even when the NFL has backed alternate leagues, those leagues haven't survived.

BTW, the NFL hasn't beaten *every* competitor.  Just every one in my lifetime.

Edited by eleven

Yesterday was a battle between two very even and very average football teams. The Bills caught a break, most other teams would have been able to take advantage of he Bills first 3 quarters of struggling offensively. Taylor was absolutely horrible up until the two scoring drives. A similar performance to yesterday won't cut it against the Bengals. If the Bills aren't at the very top of their game they will be a staggering 1-3 halfway through the home schedule. 

I myself am waking up smiling today.

1.  Road win

2.  Key elements of the O were absent from game and they still won.

3.  Fewer penalties

4.  Defense played well yesterday

5.  Ravens lost

Edited by wjag

Easily correctable, make penalties part of the coaches challenge and as long as the coaches challenge is upheld they can continue to challenge even without timeouts. 

Yeah, slow the game down more and they still get reviews wrong quite often, so this practically solves little.

Penalties are being called for player safety. You can't emphasize player safety and have a penalty free game. The two goals are opposed to each other. Take the "horse collar" tackles yesterday. Those were never penalties in prior years. They are now. Same with helmet to helmet, high hits, low hits, unprotected players, etc. the game has changed to protect the players.

Like it or not, this is the modern game.

Edited by wjag

The Bills won because (1) Tennessee's coach is a chicken on fourth down; (2) they finally figured out that a blitz works; and (3) they overcame the referees' ###### and played football.

I'd say that the Bills would have stopped that 4th down anyway, but they probably would received a 15 yard penalty for hurting Mariota's feelings while doing so.

Now just imagine if the NFL was like the other leagues and had far more games.  Just think of the massive number of horrible calls we'd be exposed to.  I know we get a ton of ref complaints out of hockey games, but my god, the NFL is on a whole different level.

Yeah, slow the game down more and they still get reviews wrong quite often, so this practically solves little.

But hey, it would give them a chance to squeeze in a few more commercial breaks.  It's win/win!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.