Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

Ya I think it may get to be too many teams if some can't drop out. I don't think we should have to drop any teams but if they are way behind and not a real threat at that time they can be moved out (with the potential to move back in down the road).

By the way we are much further than 10 games in so can we atleast add in Columbus. I know it's due to injuries but I didn't even realize how high they are in the CHL standings until someone mentioned how bad they are in another thread.

Fla & somebody else just got to 10 a couple of days ago. By the weekend the league will be adjusted. Just waiting for input from the board on the current proposals.

And I hate to derail this thread, but I could not help but notice that WildCard has updated his location ...

Currently making my way through the beer and deli aisles. Not too sure I ever wanna find my way out :beer:

I've been on a major Clash binge lately

Fla & somebody else just got to 10 a couple of days ago. By the weekend the league will be adjusted. Just waiting for input from the board on the current proposals.

If you're looking for suggestions I would just do the bottom 8 or so teams and update who qualifies the 1st of each month or so. This will make some teams move in and out of the league but should keep the most relevant teams in play when looking at the daily updates after games.

If you're looking for suggestions I would just do the bottom 8 or so teams and update who qualifies the 1st of each month or so. This will make some teams move in and out of the league but should keep the most relevant teams in play when looking at the daily updates after games.

Not necessarily. That system would have the fast rising Garth Goobers out of the CHL for the next 10 or so, yet they are poised to hop right into the thick of the fray and should be extremely relevant.

I would agree with this, with the caveat that the NYI Garth's Goober's always remain in the CHL due to our interest in thier 2015 1st rounder. I would say the Blues as well but they will most likely be a cellar dweller in the CHL.

Having the bottom 8 would better let us know which teams we need to actually root against. Rooting against Florida or Winnipeg doesn't do us much good since they are currently borderline playoff NHL teams.

Not necessarily. That system would have the fast rising Garth Goobers out of the CHL for the next 10 or so, yet they are poised to hop right into the thick of the fray and should be extremely relevant.

See my comment. Garth's Goobers is a permanent member due to our interest in their fate.

True but it also has Columbus left out when they should be in based on record. Personally, I'd put the Islanders and Blues in regardless just because we own their picks.

It's your call either way but I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents. I think it would be funny to see a team like Philly or whoever bounce in and out of the league on a month to month basis depending on whether they have a good or bad stretch of games.

Awesome thread either way though.

I would agree with this, with the caveat that the NYI Garth's Goober's always remain in the CHL due to our interest in thier 2015 1st rounder. I would say the Blues as well but they will most likely be a cellar dweller in the CHL.

Having the bottom 8 would better let us know which teams we need to actually root against. Rooting against Florida or Winnipeg doesn't do us much good since they are currently borderline playoff NHL teams.

See my comment. Garth's Goobers is a permanent member due to our interest in their fate.

Which is why I chose the 2 teams I did to recommend expansion CHL franchises. Every team (except Washington) that would be above 0.500 in the CHL would be included. Though the Caps are 1 game over, I'm good w/ seein how they do the next couple of weeks to make sure they show they reeeaaaly want it.

True but it also has Columbus left out when they should be in based on record. Personally, I'd put the Islanders and Blues in regardless just because we own their picks.

It's your call either way but I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents. I think it would be funny to see a team like Philly or whoever bounce in and out of the league on a month to month basis depending on whether they have a good or bad stretch of games.

Awesome thread either way though.

I've already proposed adding the Avs and Jackets.

I'm sure it's a matter of how much time you have on your hands, but why limit it to a subset of teams at all?

I honestly wouldn't be interested in a subset larger than 10 sample points. If it gets to be too large, I may as well just go check out the standings elsewhere. Plus, the thread is to focus on CHL teams, and that is a pretty limited scope; especially later in the season.

I honestly wouldn't be interested in a subset larger than 10 sample points. If it gets to be too large, I may as well just go check out the standings elsewhere. Plus, the thread is to focus on CHL teams, and that is a pretty limited scope; especially later in the season.

You really need to start big at first and then narrow it down. Everyone's a contender at day one. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if a team completely off the radar right now makes a meteoric rise of the CHL standings once we get to the winter.

You really need to start big at first and then narrow it down. Everyone's a contender at day one. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if a team completely off the radar right now makes a meteoric rise of the CHL standings once we get to the winter.

No offense, but I disagree. We know teams like Anaheim, LAK, Pitt, etc. aren't going to be in CHL contention from game 1. There's no need to include these teams, and there are about ~8 of them.

Chicago, Anaheim, LA, Boston, Tampa, Montreal, Pitt, St. Louis, Minnesota, Detroit.

I just don't see a point of cluttering the CHL standings with near impossibilities just because of a small probability.

After that, there are about 15 teams that can go either way, of which the bottom 6 or so fluctuate between the CHL 7 teams and the middle of the pack. Are they going to be in CHL contention? Probably not, but for the first couple months, I like including those 6 teams until the dust settles.

Around January or so, the CHL 7 is solidly cemented, and it becomes a race for the Shart. Even then that 7 gets cut down to about 4 teams, like it was last year with Buffalo, Edmonton, Florida, and Calgary. I think at this point keeping all of these teams is important though.

All IMO though, feel free to run the thread as you will Taro; it's been great thus far.

Never have before but have a few minutes, so here you go:

From the Snorris division days - all 6 were horrible and the nicknames could readily be altered to reflect that fact:

Losipeg Jest

Dallas (Minnesota) No Stars

Chicago Black Holes

St Louis Lose

Detroit Dead Things

Toronto Make Us Laughs which when respecting the Leafs spelling should properly be spelled Laffs; someone here referred to them as Loafs and I'll usually run w/ that.

Obviously, it's been a long while since Black Holes has been appropriate and Detroit hasn't been the Dead Things in ages.

Ottawa Otters - obviously alliterative.

Carolina Candy Canes - ditto.

Edmonton Eulers - combo alliterative and tribute to the mathematician Euler.

Filadelphia Phlyers - why not?

SJ Snarks - ditto.

Florida Swamp Cats & Arizona Desert Dogs - seem obvious.

Calgary Lames - they typically are.

NY Rags - someone else here was running w/ that one and it's quicker than typing out Strangers.

Moe-ray-all Hab(itant)s - (roughly) phonetic spelling.

Baaaa-stan - ditto.

Pittsburgh Pigeons - alliterative and more apt. Outside of a zoo or the replacement for the Igloo, where the heck are you gonna find a penguin in Pittsburgh?

Missing some of the more commonly used ones (Isles, Avs, Bolts) and probably also a couple of crass ones. ;)

What about the Wile E. Coyotes?

What about the Wile E. Coyotes?

Disqualified by default. That's not a nickname, it's a formal name. The Coyotes followed the IHL Roadrunners.

Now, if you wanted to go w/ the Suuupra-Geniuses, it might be cool to see that gain some traction.

Disqualified by default. That's not a nickname, it's a formal name. The Coyotes followed the IHL Roadrunners.

Now, if you wanted to go w/ the Suuupra-Geniuses, it might be cool to see that gain some traction.

lol okay.

lol okay.

BAM! Commissioner hammer.

:bag:

Sorry Bio. Wasn't supposed to come off as a rebuke so much as informational. (Didn't know if you knew source of their name. And was pretty certain that several reading here wouldn't have.) The beauty of the written word on a message board - tone is totally lost.

:bag:

Sorry Bio. Wasn't supposed to come off as a rebuke so much as informational. (Didn't know if you knew source of their name. And was pretty certain that several reading here wouldn't have.) The beauty of the written word on a message board - tone is totally lost.

No worries; the meaning behind IHL Roadrunners and Suuupra-Geniuses were both lost on me. :blush:

If there's concensus to make that move, I can; I'm leaning though to waiting 10 more games to punt anyone. Mainly to make sure someone that's having a tough time hanging w/ the titans such as the Sabres didn't just hit a run of bad luck (cough, cough, Garth's Goobers' 4-0 start, I'm looking @ you) and really do belong in the CHL. It's not much of a league if certain teams pop in & out every month or so.

What about a relegation approach every ten games or so. This will allow the truly worthy to play there way in and relegate the imposters to obscurity until they re-examine their commitment to the Shart.

According to Darren Dreger the new Coyotes Owners are serious contenders for the CHL Championship

New ownership will visit with Coyotes in next few weeks "and they want a long-term, directive plan from Don Maloney." If Maloney is not on board for going after McDavid-Eichel, "he might feel the heat." Darcy Regier and Sean Burke could be internal candidates

If McDavid ends up in the desert with Regier, that is definitive proof the hockey gods hate Buffalo

Edited by BRAWNDO