Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

Do we know that New Jersey still plans to play that way without their coach or Brodeur (and possibly Lou)?

Bruins trying to make a splash soon...

@TheFourthPeriod: BOS has explored Stewart, but price doesn't = performance. Vermette's an option (as winger), perhaps Tlusty. Hall/Eberle is whole diff convo

Do we know that New Jersey still plans to play that way without their coach or Brodeur (and possibly Lou)?

It is still how their team is set up. If they get a new gm it could change but until that time I would assume they operate under the same idea. Personally I don't think Hanafin is worth trading from 4th to 3rd to get. Also, I could see TM taking a forward not because we need scoring but because the forward is better.

I should add that if the Flyers ended up 4th overall, they should take a defender. Not sure they are that smart but that team has major problems with its construction.

Edited by LGR4GM

It is still how their team is set up. If they get a new gm it could change but until that time I would assume they operate under the same idea. Personally I don't think Hanafin is worth trading from 4th to 3rd to get. Also, I could see TM taking a forward not because we need scoring but because the forward is better.

I should add that if the Flyers ended up 4th overall, they should take a defender. Not sure they are that smart but that team has major problems with its construction.

I don't think TM would move from 4 to 3 either (if you think that you must've just misread my post).

But I don't think you can say the Devils are "set up" for anything now. They're terrible because they have no identity.

I don't think TM would move from 4 to 3 either (if you think that you must've just misread my post).

But I don't think you can say the Devils are "set up" for anything now. They're terrible because they have no identity.

I was saying in general I don't think it is worth trading up from 4th to 3rd in this draft

Edited by LGR4GM

I was saying in general I don't think it is worth trading up from 4th to 3rd in this draft

I think there's a drop off from Hanifin to the next. Hanifin is an elite prospect as opposed to Strome/Marner and the like who are just high-end prospects. Depends on what you're looking for.

Edited by Tank

I think there's a drop off from Hanifin to the next. Hanifin is an elite prospect as opposed to Strome/Marner and the like who are just high-end prospects. Depends on what you're looking for.

Marner is making a push for elite status, and he already might be considered that if he was 2 inches taller (6').

Marner is making a push for elite status, and he already might be considered that if he was 2 inches taller (6').

That's the reason he still isn't considered elite. He has done everything he can at this point but he can't change that he's a bit small.

True but he's putting up Patty Kane type numbers (better I think right now) and Kane isn't a big dude. If we pick in the top 5 we are going to get a very very good player.

Agreed. I think McEichel sit on their tier. Hanifin gets his own spot. Then Marner and Strome are fighting for 4/5 for me with Kylington coming into play there for other teams.

That's the reason he still isn't considered elite. He has done everything he can at this point but he can't change that he's a bit small.

He's never been considered elite because no one ever thought he'd light it up the way he is now. 5'10" is the same height as Pat LaFontaine.

I think it's fine to re-assess rankings and statuses in the year leading up to the draft.

I think it's fine to re-assess rankings and statuses in the year leading up to the draft.

Yes. That's exactly what we're all doing. That's why a guy like Zacha has fallen a bit while Marner is shooting up.

Rumors out of Boston is they are pushing to do a move soon. Vermette is the likely target but some talk still of Stewart.

http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthreading/2015/1/5/friedman-on-bruins-coyotes-vermette-lucic-eriksson-blues-oshie

Edited by Tank

Do you trade Myers or the 3rd pick for that elite winger if possible? Or do you attempt to trade down to 4th or 5th and pick the next best forward? Is Hanifin that much of a sure thing that he is taken over the 3rd best forward in the draft, a much bigger need for the Sabres? Or trading Myers and plugging Hanifin in his place? Just wondering as I don't really know.

I would just take the best player available, and that is hannifin. Allthough strome and marner are very good, i consider Hannifin to be a better option to take.

It does make Myers expendable, flyers / new jersey / colorado might trade their 1st round + couturier / matteau ( really don't know what i'd want from NJ) / talbot for myers then.

It would put them with their backs agains the wall, all 3 need defense and only kylington left in top 10 then.

Edited by Heimdall

I am not sure at 3 there is unanimous belief that Hanafin is the best. He's definitely top of the defense and top 5 but I can't say anymore he is definitely the #3 pick.

His play has backed up every bit of his original status as everybody's number three. I've yet to see anybody that doesn't have him at three.

He is the best defensive prospect in years and years...

His play has backed up every bit of his original status as everybody's number three. I've yet to see anybody that doesn't have him at three.

He is the best defensive prospect in years and years...

No one had Seth Jones ranked below 2 and no one thought he would drop below 3. I am not saying he won't be drafted at 3 but Marner and Strome make that a question. If Marner keeps up his torrid pace, idk, strange things happen on draft day.

I am not sure at 3 there is unanimous belief that Hanafin is the best. He's definitely top of the defense and top 5 but I can't say anymore he is definitely the #3 pick.

It may not be unanimous but Hanifin has pretty much been the consensus at #3 for every mock draft that I've looked at from the beginning of the season to this day. We definitely need top line forwards but if we end up SOL and drafting in the 3rd spot I definitely take Hanifin unless whoever is sitting at #4 is willing to give us a highly attractive offer to move down a spot. Taking Hanifin wouldn't even compel me to move Myers unless someone is willing to overpay. I'd still rather have one of the top 2 guys of course but taking Hanifin at #3 would give us the best young defensive corps in the league outside of maybe Nashville. We can try to package our other 2 firsts to move up into the top 10 or 15 (depending on where the Islanders and Blues picks land) plus we still have existing players, prospects, and FA's along with a metric ###### ton of cap space to land another guy.

I don't even know Nashville's blue line but I would have to think Risto, Zad, Myers, Hannifan, Pysyk and McCabe would be the best young D corps in the league. I don't know how we would score goals but if defense still wins championships then.....

I still hope we find our way into the top two of course.

I don't even know Nashville's blue line but I would have to think Risto, Zad, Myers, Hannifan, Pysyk and McCabe would be the best young D corps in the league. I don't know how we would score goals but if defense still wins championships then.....

I still hope we find our way into the top two of course.

Definitely. I think everyone feels that way. I just disagree with the people who seem to think that if we draft Hanifin at #3 that we automatically have to trade Myers away for a forward. I think we could and should keep Myers even if we draft Hanifin (again unless some team is willing to overpay).

Between Reinhart, Girgensons, Ennis, Moulson, Grigorenko, Armia, Lemieux, Compher, Hurley, Bailey, our other 2015 picks, and what can come from trades and free agency we should be able to put together a respectable to top 6 next year and a pretty good top 6 in the next 2-3 years even if we miss out on McEichel, draft Hanifin, and keep Myers.

Edited by Drunkard

I don't necessarily want a smallish winger (Tatar) for Myers, even if he can really score. If there was some other guys in the mix, then maybe.

The Ryan O'Reilly rumor is still kicking around. That sounds much more appealing to me. We have the cap space to give O'Reilly the kind of deal he is looking for. And, he is a center which is our biggest position of need, of course.

I don't see Centre as the biggest position of need Girgenson, Grigs, Reinhart and Compher - plus potentially a top pick in this draft who probably will be another centre.

This team needs elite wingers to play with Reinhart at this point, IMO. Im not sure we have truely a top line winger anywhere in the organization.

It will be interesting to see what they do if they pull off one of McDavid or Eichel - do they play wing with Rienhart or do they become the #1 centre and Reinhart moves to 2?

I don't see Centre as the biggest position of need Girgenson, Grigs, Reinhart and Compher - plus potentially a top pick in this draft who probably will be another centre.

This team needs elite wingers to play with Reinhart at this point, IMO. Im not sure we have truely a top line winger anywhere in the organization.

It will be interesting to see what they do if they pull off one of McDavid or Eichel - do they play wing with Rienhart or do they become the #1 centre and Reinhart moves to 2?

Moves will need to be made. They have 9 picks this year and already have the league max number of contracts (50) in their system. 10 of those are due to be UFAs, 13 RFAs. Sure they'll let some walk, but at some point they'll need to turn picks/prospects into NHL caliber players. If they land McDavid or Eichel, I see them moving one of Grigorenko or Reinhart as part of a larger deal for an established top 6 scoring winger. If they pick Hanifin, then a d-man will be moved instead.

The important thing is they have a ton of assests (prospects and picks), ~30mil in cap space for 15-16, and an open check book. It's a GMs dream job.

Edited by pi2000

I agree we wouldn't have to trade Myers. I just took exception to a thought another team would have a better young D core if we end up with Hannifan after the draft. I don't know if I want Hannifan at 3 or not. It all depends on if Marner can keep this pace the rest of the way and how Strome looks in the playoffs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.