The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

Good god, I wish people would stop using Zetterburg and Datsyuk as examples of good drafting. Picking two guys from 20 years ago that Detroit happened to fall into is NOT relevant in today's draft and scouting situation. Goalies don't count as they're really hard to scout so Quick is out, and Toews was a #3 pick, are you willing to cut it that fine? The #1 in 2006 was D, so you're still talking about the 2nd forward (and center) picked that year. The only player you listed that supports your point is Kopitar, who was picked 11th. That's hardly "a good GM will find those players somehow" territory.

As for the flip side: Tavares plays for the Islanders, that's a gigantic hindrance to winning a cup; there's moire dysfunction there than one player can fix. Stamkos is an OK example for your point. It just proves that a top-2 pick without a good plan isn't going to bring home a cup. I think Buffalo has a solid plan set up, and most the pieces are coming into place. I'd like to see a nice high pick this year to cap off the prospect pool; I can watch the remainder of the season to get it.[0] If you're really arguing we couldn't use a Stamkos, who is averaging more than 40 goals (adjusted for GP) per year in the league, I don't know what to say.

[0] I've watched in some fashion every game this season, with the exception of the Toronto turd-fest; I only watched the 11-minute condensed version of that game. I even go back and watch the games I don't see live when they become available on Gamecenter.

You know what the biggest problem is with the Datsyuk Zetterberg argument?

It completely ignores all of Detroit's other good picks.

I'm not counting on Zemgus for scoring. I love him as a player considering his energy and physicality. That's why he's a perfect second or third line player. Do we really want to keep relying on Zemgus for goal scoring?

And please Liger, I'm trying to have a discussion not an argument. Try to keep up the maturity so we can continue. I didn't say dump everyone who can't score, I said I don't know who we can rely on for scoring.

Edited by Derrico

I'm not counting on Zemgus for scoring. I love him as a player considering his energy and physicality. That's why he's a perfect second or third line player. Do we really want to keep relying on Zemgus for goal scoring?

Why not? The skill set is clearly there. He's not just cashing in flukey garbage.

Zemgus is on pace for 27 goals if he doesn't improve over the course of the season (he will definitely improve). That will probably make him one of the top 12 goal scoring centers in the league. And we're projecting him as our #3. We're going to be just fine.

No we aren't. Zemgus Girgensons was drafted 14th overall. There is no possible way he could become a top 15 goal scorer. It just isn't feasible. It has been well established the only way to acquire a goal scorer is if they are drafted with in the top 5 and preferably the top 3.

Last page of this thread was thoroughly enjoyable, please piss of Liger more often people, it's informative and hilarious.

With everything Liger said in the last page; we still have a sh!t ton of high draft picks in a deep draft, and a GM who has proven he can find talent late in drafts...top 15 goal scoring talent to be exact.

Edited by WildCard

With your last couple posts, I'm not going to spell it out. Just don't know why you seem to get your back up. I'm just trying to have a conversation, I don't need your other bs. This isn't the first time you've done this. No big deal, I'll just move on.

Hhahahha, oh Dark I'll have the conversation all day.

One last thing: Zacha, Crouse, Marner and a few more guys from the 2015 class outside of McDavid/Eichel are considered to be or are emerging as goal scorers. We have the very real probability of grabbing one or more of these emerging shooters. Svechnikov is another player as far as "shooters" go who could most likely get drafted in the 14-20 area depending on how his season goes... may also crack the top 10.

With your last couple posts, I'm not going to spell it out. Just don't know why you seem to get your back up. I'm just trying to have a conversation, I don't need your other bs. This isn't the first time you've done this. No big deal, I'll just move on.

Hhahahha, oh Dark I'll have the conversation all day.

Because I am sarcastic as hell.

@D4rk - Still not sure what I'm wrong about. I still don't think we have much scoring. Do some of those prospects blow you away? Because generally speaking if they don't blow you away before the NHL then they won't be say top 50 scorers.

The funny thing is probably 4 or 5 years ago I was the 'team sunshine and kitten' or whatever it was called.

Someone else can go back and look if they want, but I'm fairly certain during our 2006-07 season we had a stretch or two where we lost 5 of 7 or something similar, yet we still won the President's trophy. In other words, in a long CHL season this still only counts as just a blip on the radar. It really isn't time to freak out yet guys.

Thanks for being a voice of reason here.

On that note, if one more person trots out the Kings as an example of team building without high picks I may snap. Did they draft #1 overall? No. But they did manage to snag a Norris-caliber defenseman all the way down at #2 overall. They also drafted #3 overall and #5 overall and flipped those drafted players into Carter and Richards. Sure they found Kopitar and Brown in the middle 1st, but let's not ignore reality to try to get a two-time Cup winner to fit our argument--the Kings absolutely did tank and it certainly was a huge contributor to winning those Cups.

If you want a real example of winning without tanking, it starts and ends with Boston.

@D4rk - Still not sure what I'm wrong about. I still don't think we have much scoring. Do some of those prospects blow you away? Because generally speaking if they don't blow you away before the NHL then they won't be say top 50 scorers.

The funny thing is probably 4 or 5 years ago I was the 'team sunshine and kitten' or whatever it was called.

How's that work?

I think you might be overestimating what it takes to be a top 50 goal scorer. Typical you're talking about 25 goals or there abouts to get in the top 50.

Don't forget Detroit but Detroit as we know lucked out in the 6th and 7th round.

Nick Baptiste and Justin Bailey actually really do blow me away with how good they are. Grigorenko actually does too.

Jason Pominville was a top 50 goal scorer last season and he was drafted 55th overall. Patrice Bergeron was a top 50 goal scorer last season and we went 45th overall. James Neal, 33rd. Wayne Simmonds, 61st. ######, Jamie Benn was drafted in the 5th round!

Are you sure you just aren't over valuing our prospects because you keep a close eye on them. Grigo was forced into the NHL at a young age but he looked invisible out there when he did play. I haven't seen him play much this year in Roch so maybe I can't comment on how he looks.

Nobody is saying you can't draft good players in the later first or even later rounds. The point is the percentage chance of hitting on a player drops dramatically as you move down the draft. Is this even debatable? Especially with how far scouting as come?

Oh yea Samson Reinhart 6goals in 11games and 23pts. Interestingly the 6goals in 11 games means Samson is actually below last seasons production.

Also why do we keep forgetting our #2 overall pick and #1 forward taken in the draft? Seems weird.