Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

Sure seems like a consensus top 3 right now. Although I wonder if Hanifin falls a spot or two on draft day due to player position, similar to Seth Jones a couple of years back.

Probably not. There will be some teams in there still in need of defensive help and the talent gap from him to the batch of forwards is big enough to keep him there.

NA Scouting Services last night released rankings where the top 3 is broken (first I've seen so far).

A bit of a surprise that it is Crouse, Lawson who moved into the #3 slot - though he was named to the Team Canada camp.

1. Link? I'd love to check this out.

2. Lawson Crouse must be doing something really intriguing when you actually see him play because you wouldn't even think he's a first-rounder when you look at his numbers. He's in the top-10 of every mock I've seen though.

1. Link? I'd love to check this out.

2. Lawson Crouse must be doing something really intriguing when you actually see him play because you wouldn't even think he's a first-rounder when you look at his numbers. He's in the top-10 of every mock I've seen though.

No link but check them out on Twitter - NA Central Scouting. Crouse did score 6 goals in 5 games for Canada at the Ivan Hlinka this past summer.

Just found out today Austin Matthews, whom some believe is better than Eichel, missed the 2015 draft by 2 days! I can't put into words how much less stress I would feel if Eichel, McDavid and Matthews were all there this year for the Sabres.

Lots of draft stuff today:

"There has been a change from last month’s ranking in the final two slots in the top five. McDavid’s teammate on the Otters, forward Dylan Strome, has moved up to the fourth position while University of Michigan defenseman Zach Werenski moved from sixth to fifth. McDavid’s absence has placed the spotlight on Strome, who has taken full advantage of the opportunity by taking over the OHL scoring lead from McDavid. Werenski was chosen for Team USA‘s preliminary roster for the World Juniors and has posted 10 points (2G, 8A) in 13 games this season."

http://www.hockeysfu...ember-rankings/

And ISS top 30 Rankings: McDavid, Eichel, Hanafin, Strome are your top 4.

http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30/

Also for this draft there is slowly starting to develop the 2nd tier break. That means there is the first tier of McDavid and Eichel with Hanafin being the lone defensive rep. Then their is a 2nd tier of roughly 4 maybe 5 players that form that second grouping. These are the guys that in other draft years (2014 for instance) would be near the top of the draft and are going to be solid NHL players in the future. That break where there really is a drop off IMPO happens at around the 8th or 9th spot when you get away from guys like Strome, Barzal and Marner, and start Connor, Ratanaen, Greenway which are more likely guys who end up as either busts or 2nd line type players.

Edited by LGR4GM

If Strome continues his domination (especially with McDavid out) then he may unseat Hannifan for third overall when all is said and done. I'm loving a top 5 of McEichle, Hannifan, Strome and possibly Zacha who is starting to heat up.

I'm really looking forward to the WJC as many top draft eligible players will be on full display. With it being in Canada this year I won't have to wake up in the middle of the night to watch it either.

Ya it's been damn impressive. I've seen his height listed as 5'10 on some sites and 5'11 in others. If he was a couple of inches taller he would likely be a surefire top 5 pick. At the end of the day he still very well may end up there. I haven't seen too many Sarnia games to comment on his type of game.

Ya it's been damn impressive. I've seen his height listed as 5'10 on some sites and 5'11 in others. If he was a couple of inches taller he would likely be a surefire top 5 pick. At the end of the day he still very well may end up there. I haven't seen too many Sarnia games to comment on his type of game.

His height is getting overblown I think. He could still grow but even if he doesn't he looks to have the talent to play as a slightly smaller forward at the next level.

His height is getting overblown I think. He could still grow but even if he doesn't he looks to have the talent to play as a slightly smaller forward at the next level.

If Sabres fall to 4th (God I hope this doesnt happen) I am all over Marner in that slot. I've compared him before to Patrick Kane - so similar in my humble opinion.

If Sabres fall to 4th (God I hope this doesnt happen) I am all over Marner in that slot. I've compared him before to Patrick Kane - so similar in my humble opinion.

I take Strome over Marner. Marner's my 5, though.

The Marner - Kane comparison is a little nuts.

I would be disappointed if we ended up with Zacha. If we're losing out on McEichel give me Hanifin, Strome or Marner. Nothing else.

(Yes, I'm aware we need forwards over a guy like Hanifin but his talent is undeniable.)

I would take Hanafin and Strome over Zacha and maybe Marner. Marner and Zacha play very different games.

I would take Hanafin and Strome over Zacha and maybe Marner. Marner and Zacha play very different games.

Yes, I know. And Marner's game appears more productive. Somebody else can wait for Zacha to adjust to North American ice. I'm bored of waiting for that.

Yes, I know. And Marner's game appears more productive. Somebody else can wait for Zacha to adjust to North American ice. I'm bored of waiting for that.

Who adjusts to NHL ice is more important and when Marner has 6'2" 200lb defender who can keep up with him you will get, Tyler Ennis 2.0.

Craigs List December edition -

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-december-ranking-mcdavid-and-eichel-on-even-terms-1.154887

First guy to put Eichel and McDavid as joint #1's.

Lowest I've seen Zacha by a long shot.

Craig also had Ristolainen at like 25 in his draft year. No idea if he has a bias against Europeans, but it wouldn't be the first time he was radically different than the consensus on somebody.

I would take Strome over Marner as well at this point.

Zacha at 17?!?!

If we didn't have Grigerenko I'd probably want Strome too but I think the Sabres could use more speed down the wings and yes he may be similar to Ennis in stature but compares much closer to Kane as a player and would anyone complain if they had both Kane and Ennis on the team? There is still plenty of size coming with Fashing, Baptiste, Bailey, Armia on the wings with Grigerenko in the middle.

If we didn't have Grigerenko I'd probably want Strome too but I think the Sabres could use more speed down the wings and yes he may be similar to Ennis in stature but compares much closer to Kane as a player and would anyone complain if they had both Kane and Ennis on the team? There is still plenty of size coming with Fashing, Baptiste, Bailey, Armia on the wings with Grigerenko in the middle.

The deciding factor for me would be who shoots better and plays heavy. Will have to wait to see how those two play out their seasons.

Also as far as points per game in their draft year go, Marner is at 1.83, Ennis was at 1.30, and Kane was at 2.50. So in all actuality, Marner is closer to Ennis than he is to Kane if we are using points.

So who's at the end of this draft, the 20-30 range, that we're looking at for St.Louis or NYI? I still think we package one or both of those picks to move up, though I don't know who we would do that for, or we package them for a trade for players/prospects.

Either way, tons of opportunity for Murray. If he ###### up, he has nobody to blame.

So who's at the end of this draft, the 20-30 range, that we're looking at for St.Louis or NYI? I still think we package one or both of those picks to move up, though I don't know who we would do that for, or we package them for a trade for players/prospects.

Either way, tons of opportunity for Murray. If he ###### up, he has nobody to blame.

Evgeny Svechnikov: RW, 6'2'" 200lbs, 10g, 20a, 23games

Paul Bittner: LW, 6'4" 195lbs, 12g, 8a, 27games

Ivan Provonov: LHD, 6' 193lbs, 10g, 22a, 32games

Nikita Korostelev: RW, 6'1" 196lbs, 14g, 19a, 29games

Jordan Greenway: LW, 6'4" 189lbs, 1g, 5a, 6games (Greenway is from Potsdam, NY)

Those would be my 4 guys to target in the 18-26 range. I would guess at least one of them is gone by then but I would say a couple of them will slide into that range.

Edited by LGR4GM