Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

Jagr was a dbag as a kid too. Just sayin.

And most of his adult life too. Wouldn't have ever wanted that big butted mulleted freak on my team either.

I want ###### on my team just not the kind of ###### like Jagr. Zacha sounds like my kinda ######.

Edited by inkman

True. It can happen to anyone, especially with all the blatant head-hunting that the NHL allows. All the more reason to build around guys who are heads are not level with everyone else's shoulders.

How did it wind up happening to Lindros anyway? I don't remember the specifics

Prospect Recap November 18th to November 25th

OHL

Marner, Mitch RW Erie 2GP 7G 3A

Konecny, Travis C Ottawa 3GP 5G 3A

Strome, Dylan C Erie 2GP 3G 3A

Korostelev, Nikita RW Sarnia 3GP 2G 2A

Andersson, Rasmus D Barrie 3GP 1G 1A

Crouse, Lawson LW Kingston 3GP 1G 0A

Franzén, Gustaf C Kitchener 2GP 0G 0A

Graham Knott LW Niagara 2GP 0G 0A

Spencer, Matthew D Peterborough 3GP 0G 1A

Stephens, Mitchell C Saginaw 3GP 1G 1A

Zacha, Pavel C Sarnia 2GP 0G 1A

Speers, Blake C Sault Ste. Marie 3GP 1G 1A

QMJHL

Brisebois, Guillaume D Acadie-Bathurst 2GP 0G 0A

Meloche, Nicolas D Baie-Comeau 2GP 2G 1A

Chlapik, Filip C Charlottetown 2GP 0G 0A

Sprong, Daniel RW Charlottetown 2GP 2A 0A

Roy, Nicolas C Chicoutimi 2GP 1G 1A

Carrier, Alexandre D Gatineau 2GP 0G 1A

Meier, Timo RW Halifax 2GP 2G 2A

Noel, Nathan C Saint John 2GP 0G 0A

Zboril, Jakub D Saint John 2GP 0G 2A

Yan, Dennis RW Shawinigan 2GP 0G 3A

Patrick Kane from the Knights - 5-10 162lbs seems to have turned out ok

If Marner gets near 62goals and 83 assists this year than you can compare him to Kane. Marner has a ton of upside but if I draft 4th I am still looking at Strome or Zacha (yes I know he was suspended).

Kane got those stats in 58 total games. Currently Marner is 21g, 23a through 23 games. So he could do it.

I was more comparing size but there is a chance Marner gets into Kane territory. He is currently avg 1.91PPG however in last 9 games he is scoring at a 3.11PPG clip.

Kane avg 2.5PPG in the 06-07 Season.

Kane also played his draft year perdominately as a 18 year old (Nov bd) while Mitch wont turn 18 till near the draft (May BD)

I was more comparing size but there is a chance Marner gets into Kane territory. He is currently avg 1.91PPG however in last 9 games he is scoring at a 3.11PPG clip.

Kane avg 2.5PPG in the 06-07 Season.

Kane also played his draft year perdominately as a 18 year old (Nov bd) while Mitch wont turn 18 till near the draft (May BD)

I like Marner, just not sure if he can do what Kane does. That's the best part of the draft year. End of November you can be unsure but come April he could be the go to guy post McEchel.

I know you were comparing size. We have had conversations around about how smaller players need to produce more in Juniors to be valuable NHL contributors. So what I was looking at was his size compared to his scoring. Kane was small but scored on a high level. If Marner while being smaller can do the same thing, then he has the potenial to be a solid or great NHL player. He would most likely switch to wing at the NHL level.

Marner is 5'11" so he could add another inch or two by the draft and easily 20lbs.

Edited by LGR4GM

Sherry Basin (Erie Otters GM) on Sabres Hockey Hotline:

He brings up Hanifin after being asked about the Eichel / McDavid debate. here is what he said about Noah Hanifin:

"He is as a good of a defenceman as I’ve ever had or ever had my team play against. He can skate, he can do so many things - he is unbelievable and he is 6-2”

Edited by Crusader1969

WHL

Gabrielle, Jesse LW Brandon 4GP 1G 3A

Provorov, Ivan D Brandon 4GP 0G 4A

Pilon, Ryan D Brandon 4GP 0G 1A

Merkley, Nick C Kelowna 3GP 1G 3A

Karnaukhov, Pavel LW Calgary 3GP 1G 0A

Bittner, Paul LW Portland 2GP 1A

Musil, Adam C Red Deer 3GP 1G 1A

Gropp, Ryan LW Seattle 2GP 0G 1A

Edited by Crusader1969

Sherry Basin (Erie Otters GM) on Sabres Hockey Hotline:

He brings up Hanifin after being asked about the Eichel / McDavid debate. here is what he said about Noah Hanifin:

"He is as a good of a defenceman as I’ve ever had or ever had my team play against. He can skate, he can do so many things - he is unbelievable and he is 6-2”

Here's a scenario: The Sabres end up with the no.3 pick. They take Hanifin. What do you do with the rest of the draft?

The Sabres defense will be set up for the next decade but we'll still need help on offense. And the Blues and Islanders picks might not be until 20-30 range in the first round.

At that point, I want the Sabres doing everything they can to move up to get in a position to take Strome (assuming Strome keeps up his pace during the McDavid injury). Or Marner or Barzal (top ten picks who will be long gone by the STL or NYI picks). Or even Svechnikov or Korostelev (top 20 guys).

Basically, if you get Hanifin, move heaven and earth to also add someone with all-star potential up front.

Here's a scenario: The Sabres end up with the no.3 pick. They take Hanifin. What do you do with the rest of the draft?

The Sabres defense will be set up for the next decade but we'll still need help on offense. And the Blues and Islanders picks might not be until 20-30 range in the first round.

At that point, I want the Sabres doing everything they can to move up to get in a position to take Strome (assuming Strome keeps up his pace during the McDavid injury). Or Marner or Barzal (top ten picks who will be long gone by the STL or NYI picks). Or even Svechnikov or Korostelev (top 20 guys).

Basically, if you get Hanifin, move heaven and earth to also add someone with all-star potential up front.

Every time a post like this is written, one puppy and one kitten, one in each hand, is drowned in a bucket of tepid water.

If I draft Hanafin at 3 I am moving Tyler Myers for something in the 7-14 range. Personally I think our other two picks will be in the 16-22 range where there will probably be some 1st line talent still.

I agree that they Should move both the Blues and Islanders Picks to move up the draft board into the top 10 and get a high end scorer. Assuming both make the playoffs we can pray that they both lose out in round 1 and have two picks in the mid to late teens.

If you take Hanifin, I would also try to figure out how to get Larkin out of Detroit (or another high end prospect winger a year or two into their pro careers) in a package deal that would include Myers.

Edited by Crusader1969

TOP 60 Prospects Heading into December - Avg rankings of 9 sources

Rank 1 - 14

1) McDavid, Connor 1.00

2) Eichel, Jack 2.00

3) Hanifin, Noah 3.00

4) Strome, Dylan 6.55

5) Zacha, Pavel 6.77

6) Kylington, Oliver 7.33

7) Marner, Mitch 7.33

8) Barzal, Mathew 8.55

9) Connor, Kyle 11

10) Werenski, Zack 11.22

11) Konecny, Travis 11.88

12) Crouse, Lawson 12

13) Sprong, Daniel 12.66

14) White, Colin 13.22

After the top 3 Strome, Zacha, Kylington, Marner are in a tight group that are battling for picks 4 through 8. There is a bit of a drop off after the 8th pick where the next group of 6 make up picks 9 through 14

Edited by Crusader1969

TOP 60 Prospects Heading into December - Avg rankings of 9 sources

Rank 15-30

15 Roy, Jérémy 15.88

16 Svechnikov, Yevgeni 16.33

17 Rantanen, Mikko 19.22

18 Merkley, Nick 26.55

19 Bracco, Jeremy 29.11

20 Harkins, Jansen 30.44

21 Boeser, Brock 31.44

22 Roy, Nicolas 34.33

23 Provorov, Ivan 35.11