Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

I think the on-field needs are as follows:

QB (sorry, EJ still can't be relied on and this moves to the top with no fall-back in Orton)

OG (tackles and centers are fine if we can fix the interior)

TE (solid but nothing great there)

RB (if Spiller walks we're left with Fred who is slowing down and Brown who is inconsistent. Dixon is always a good complement but not a workhorse)

Punter (Schmidt has one of the worst averages and his only stat was pinning them inside the 20 which is easy when you're punting from midfield. Anytime he was asked to punt from his own side of the field it was disaster)

DE (this could move up behind OG if Hughes walks. I'm putting it here in case he does)

Tall WR (still need a red zone target)

Agree with QB, don't care about punters, TE could use an upgrade but I thought gray was useful, not sure if he's suited to play TE full time.

I know you've been jizzing in your pants over Iupati for a while, if they sign him great but I think guards can be had in rounds 3-7.

Running backs are fine. jackson, Dixon, and brown are a good trio.

DE will be addressed. Hughes 'never heard of a home town discount' comment on his way out the door leaves me thinking he's gone. He committed way too many personal fouls anyway.

A tall WR just for red zone targets seems like a luxury.

Hopefully something breaks with the QB situation, it doesn't look good now.

Just for the record: the "the trade is OK b/c I'd rather have Watkins than Ebron and the #19" meme is a false construct that gives Whaley too much credit.

The Bills needed a WR. There were a bunch that went in the 1st round this year that had great rookie years and that would've helped the Bills more or less as much as Sammy did this year. None of those guys would've cost the Bills the extra #1.

Whaley was going to take Ebron over those other WRs. That is another Whaley mistake. It isn't a reason to think it was a good trade. If Whaley was going to take my dearly departed grandmother instead of Beckham (or Evans, or Benjamin, or Matthews, or any of the others), but instead traded for Watkins, the comparison wouldn't be "nfreeman's deceased grandmother and the #19 pick vs Watkins."

Just for the record: the "the trade is OK b/c I'd rather have Watkins than Ebron and the #19" meme is a false construct that gives Whaley too much credit.

The Bills needed a WR. There were a bunch that went in the 1st round this year that had great rookie years and that would've helped the Bills more or less as much as Sammy did this year. None of those guys would've cost the Bills the extra #1.

Whaley was going to take Ebron over those other WRs. That is another Whaley mistake. It isn't a reason to think it was a good trade. If Whaley was going to take my dearly departed grandmother instead of Beckham (or Evans, or Benjamin, or Matthews, or any of the others), but instead traded for Watkins, the comparison wouldn't be "nfreeman's deceased grandmother and the #19 pick vs Watkins."

The argument becomes "the trade for Watkins was good because Whaley was going to do something stupid anyway."

And that trade wasn't the only stupid move he made at the top of the draft. We basically tossed our 2nd round pick into a volcano with Cyrus Kouandjio. And now 2015 looks like it might be another season of Super Bowl-caliber defense wasted because we don't have a QB. Swell.

Leading up to the draft reports had them very interested in Beckham:

http://www.wgr550.co...4669?pid=400271

http://mmqb.si.com/2...ouston-texans/#

DE will be addressed. Hughes 'never heard of a home town discount' comment on his way out the door leaves me thinking he's gone. He committed way too many personal fouls anyway.

Franchise tag could be an option with Hughes to keep the Dline together for one more year. Edited by Lanny

The majority of reports had Watkins listed as the best WR available. If the other three were so highly touted, how come they didn't go in the top 5 in the draft? Are Mike Evan's number inflated because there were no #3 and #4 receivers and/or RB's to throw at? I get blasted for not having enough 'context' in my comparisons, seems like this latest discussion is lacking it as well.

These coulda/woulda/shoulda arguments never make much sense to me. The draft is a crap-shoot in many aspects. If the Bills hadn't drafted up to get a elite wide receiver all we would have heard all year was that Orton and EJ didn't have anybody to throw to. And there's no proof Evans would have been as good here as he was in Tampa this year.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Agree with QB, don't care about punters, TE could use an upgrade but I thought gray was useful, not sure if he's suited to play TE full time.

I know you've been jizzing in your pants over Iupati for a while, if they sign him great but I think guards can be had in rounds 3-7.

Running backs are fine. jackson, Dixon, and brown are a good trio.

A tall WR just for red zone targets seems like a luxury.

Hopefully something breaks with the QB situation, it doesn't look good now.

I agree with most of what you're saying. A red-zone WR is a luxury that they should address if they have time and money to do so after the rest is done. TE would be nice to upgrade but I would just draft a young guy to add to the mix.

RBs- Its a position they could just wait until next offseason to address with Freddy leaving, but they could draft one and be proactive on the issue.

Iupati or Clint Boling would be nice guards. I want them to sign one and draft one early. This is a good guard draft.

I think an argument can be made that Hughes is the weakest link on the D-line. But he's also the youngest, so I feel like I could go either way on re-signing him.

Dareus is younger by two years.

Leading up to the draft reports had them very interested in Beckham:

http://www.wgr550.co...4669?pid=400271

http://mmqb.si.com/2...ouston-texans/#

Franchise tag could be an option with Hughes to keep the Dline together for one more year.

No thanks on the franchise tag. That's $13M. He isn't near there and he indicated today he would just take the tag and play.

Suh might be available relatively inexpensively.

I doubt it. I'm pretty sure he wants to go to NY for the big bucks and the limelight.

Speaking of which, Suh has been suspended for the Lion's playoff game for stepping on Rogers.

Season's over for Detroit

Put him at DE? :unsure:

He's going to come at a discount because of his constant discipline problems, which do trouble me, but if Jerry Hughes is going to be unreasonable, well, he's an option.

I doubt it. I'm pretty sure he wants to go to NY for the big bucks and the limelight.

Speaking of which, Suh has been suspended for the Lion's playoff game for stepping on Rogers.

Season's over for Detroit

Yeah, I'm aware of the suspension. That's what makes me think Detroit is done with him.

Yeah, I'm aware of the suspension. That's what makes me think Detroit is done with him.

Why? The league suspended him, not the Lions.

Detroit doesn't have the money to resign him anyways, and neither do we. He's going to get JJ Watt money

Why? The league suspended him, not the Lions.

Detroit doesn't have the money to resign him anyways, and neither do we. He's going to get JJ Watt money

I think Detroit might be frustrated with his suspensions.

I'm not sure he's going to get JJ Watt money. He just got suspended for a playoff game. That's got to lower his value to a lot of teams.

Is Schopp really making an issue about Marrone texting Brandon about Orton? Are you kidding me? I'm going to stomach this for the entertainment factor for a while and then turn him off for the next few months like I usually do.

I have it on, but I'm not really listening. What's happening?

I have it on, but I'm not really listening. What's happening?

He's talking about the relationship and lack of discourse between him, Whaley and the players if they need to text each other about Orton's retirement on the day of the season-ending presser.

Basically he's looking to make an issue out of a non-issue (when there is plenty more to discuss right now).

He's talking about the relationship and lack of discourse between him, Whaley and the players if they need to text each other about Orton's retirement on the day of the season-ending presser.

Basically he's looking to make an issue out of a non-issue (when there is plenty more to discuss right now).

Twitter was ablaze over that response too...I don't see the issue...

Is Schopp really making an issue about Marrone texting Brandon about Orton? Are you kidding me? I'm going to stomach this for the entertainment factor for a while and then turn him off for the next few months like I usually do.

I'm only half listening but I thought he was making a point about how Marrone can never give a straight answer. Marrone said something like "I was texting him or trying to call him..." and that's fairly weird since you'd think he'd know which one it was. And if it was both, just say "and" there.

Marrone is a master of speaking lots and lots of words that mean absolutely nothing. His answers to direct questions are pretty frustrating.