Hodgson signs a six-year deal

spndnchz

• 2 weeks later...

OK -- I hate to say this, but has anyone seen Cody make a single play on offense this year? So far he's been completely ineffective.

When RR says the Sabres need more out of their top 6, I think Hodgson is absolutely one of the culprits.

OK -- I hate to say this, but has anyone seen Cody make a single play on offense this year? So far he's been completely ineffective.

When RR says the Sabres need more out of their top 6, I think Hodgson is absolutely one of the culprits.

The team has 1 non fluke goal the entire season. Has anyone made a single play on offense this year?

The team has 1 non fluke goal the entire season. Has anyone made a single play on offense this year?

Hodgy is the one who's playing #1 center and the one who just got a fat contract. He's also the only one, once Vanek is traded, who is a "top line" designee. He's supposed to create offense and is more accountable for failure to do so than, say, Griggy, Ott or Stafford.

Hodgy is the one who's playing #1 center and the one who just got a fat contract. He's also the only one, once Vanek is traded, who is a "top line" designee. He's supposed to create offense and is more accountable for failure to do so than, say, Griggy, Ott or Stafford.

The passing has been there from Hodgson, but Vanek just isn't getting it in the net. It's hard to be a playmaker if the guy you're setting up is having a bad time. And it's not like he can expect Stafford to do anything.

Not sure exactly what should be expected. We have one top line player on the roster, so we have second liners on the third line, and third liners on the second, and so on. I'm not saying Hodgson's been great or anything, and certainly I expect more than a goal every other game...but I think sample size and quality of competition is skewing things overall. For a team that's rebuilding, @Detroit, Ottawa, @Pitt isn't a particularly friendly opening stretch.

the Sabres have one top six winger, one 3rd , possibly 2nd line center and one excellent starting goaltender.. At the trade deadline two of the three people will disappear.

I do not look forward to watching the "young talent" develop or fail to develop (which is a higher probability) over the next ten years. This rebuild has a very high probabilty of becoming perpetual.

I think Hodgson has made some nice passes but he's definitely one of the culprits.

You wanted to be a first line centre Cody? Production is job one.

the Sabres have one top six winger, one 3rd , possibly 2nd line center and one excellent starting goaltender.. At the trade deadline two of the three people will disappear.

I do not look forward to watching the "young talent" develop or fail to develop (which is a higher probability) over the next ten years. This rebuild has a very high probabilty of becoming perpetual.

Eric Staal is currently at 0g 0a with a -3... chill the f### out. Some guys/teams start bad. If at the end of October his stat line looks about the same then we can start talking but after 3 games in which the entire team mustered 2goals... I am not prepared to panic. Also Girgensons skating with them over stafford makes them 10x better IMPO.

Eric Staal is currently at 0g 0a with a -3... chill the f### out. Some guys/teams start bad. If at the end of October his stat line looks about the same then we can start talking but after 3 games in which the entire team mustered 2goals... I am not prepared to panic. Also Girgensons skating with them over stafford makes them 10x better IMPO.

Not really panicking -- just observing that so far, Hodgy is just as guilty as any other crappy forward on the Sabres.

Not really panicking -- just observing that so far, Hodgy is just as guilty as any other crappy forward on the Sabres.

O totally agree with that. Just saying other forwards with really good resume's have started crappy. Hodgson is not the most pressing concern.

Eric Staal has a much more impressive resume and pedigree then Hodgson, you know what you will get from Staal and that his lack of production will turn around. With Hodgson you still don't know what your gonna get, its all "potential" with him

did you use a dirty word, honey? Staal will put up his usual numbers, as will streaky Vanek, with or without Cody.(FYI Vanek creates as many scoring chances as Cody) Miller will play to his numbers or better. Beyond that is where we get in trouble. lol .Who else can you say that about?. Staff, Ennis, Ott, Kaleta, Hoff????????????????/

Will Leino play +/- 40 games is my over/under. Who will score more on Miller this year, Hoff or Myers? Right now Myers is 2 up.

I do like Laarrrrrsoooon...he has the goods.. The point is this team may be more offensively challenged than any team in Sabres History.

Eric Staal has a much more impressive resume and pedigree then Hodgson, you know what you will get from Staal and that his lack of production will turn around. With Hodgson you still don't know what your gonna get, its all "potential" with him

Yep. My problem with Hodgson is that he was brutal defensively last year. So he needs to be scoring to account for being a liability on the defensive end. I kind of wonder whether he is perhaps playing a bit more defensively this year and that is/will detract from his offensive game? (pure conjecture on my part) Or maybe the fat contract has turned him into Drew Stafford 2.0?!

I agree with others that we have only one guy who would be a top-line player on most other NHL teams and that is Vanek. Also, bad offensive teams need to score on the power play and we seem unable to do that.

Yep. My problem with Hodgson is that he was brutal defensively last year. So he needs to be scoring to account for being a liability on the defensive end. I kind of wonder whether he is perhaps playing a bit more defensively this year and that is/will detract from his offensive game? (pure conjecture on my part) Or maybe the fat contract has turned him into Drew Stafford 2.0?!

I agree with others that we have only one guy who would be a top-line player on most other NHL teams and that is Vanek. Also, bad offensive teams need to score on the power play and we seem unable to do that.

Good points to consider. :thumbsup: On another note, your avatar is creepy as hell! :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

I read a fair amount of hate for Hodgson on the board and I think it's unwarranted.

I think people are putting too much attention on what he is not, rather than what he is, and that is being compounded by how bad this team is.

There are answers to all the criticisms:

He is neither fast, nor physical

No, but he has top-line hockey IQ and is the best passer the Sabres have had in years. Like it or not, there is room in the game for cerebral hockey players.

He isn't a first-line centre

No, he's not. Most NHL players aren't. He is being forced to play that role because Darcy has failed to acquire a real one

He can't play defence

He's not great at it, but he's not as irresponsible as some make him out to be. He is on a bad team and is usually forced to play against the other team's best lines. He's also doing a fine job killing penalties.

He got a big NHL contract

No, he didn't. He got second-line centre money. That's what he is and probably what he will continue to be.

He was traded for Zack Kassian and is a symbol for Darcy Regier hockey

That's his fault?

Hodgson is going to score 15-20 goals this year and 50-60 points. Those are good second-line centre numbers. If and when the Sabres acquire a real first-line and/or a third-line centre, his skill set should make him very effective in the second-line slot. That same skill set makes him a perfect complement to an elite scoring winger, should we ever acquire one of those after Thomas leaves.

I see David Krecji as a great comparable. How good would Krecji be in Hodgson's role? Hodgson in Krecji's?

He has clearly shown he can play a valuable role on this team as it matures. Instead, he gets bashed for not being Pat Lafontaine.

He's 23 years old and has played 150 NHL games. He's nursing an injury and playing 20 minutes a night in all situations on the worst team in the league — a team with no other centres.

He is in over his head for the role he is being asked to play right now, but that doesn't mean he sucks.

He is a good player, one of the more effective ones we have. And I think there needs to be more recognition of that.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived