The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

1 hour ago, spndnchz said:

40 mph down a ski slope. Just avoid the rabbit holes. lol 😝 

I'm not quite up for that.  I've reached an age where bones take way too long to heal.

5 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I pulled the 2 bikes out of the basement, pumped up the tires and dusted them off. Have yet to get myself back to a ride. Gonna work on some strength and mobility first, but I'm itching to get back on it 

You had an ankle problem, right?  Cycling is much lower impact than running.

10 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'm not quite up for that.  I've reached an age where bones take way too long to heal.

You had an ankle problem, right?  Cycling is much lower impact than running.

It was an achilles issue, but I ended up with a spinal cord lesion and had a transverse myelitis, the last couple years have been rough, my neuromuscular system isn't up to snuff and I have really bad diffuse muscle spacisity that makes everything more tight than should be, so I'm slowly trying to get back into things. Last time I tried to work out the symptoms got too bad so I had to stop. I'm hoping with a little more time and more gentle approach I can try to get into it again. 

35 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Yep.  IYKYK

Did you see the mini battery powered pumps they have now, can get 2 fills on a road tire at 100psi and has presta and Schrader access. No more messing with CO2 and etc etc. Will fit right in the back pocket of the jersey 

Nope, hadn't heard of those yet.  Intriguing.

My new bike has tubeless tires.  I wonder what it will be like when I get a puncture.  Supposedly small holes self-seal with the sealant inside the tire.  For larger holes I have a plug kit that can quickly inject a plug in a hole, and yes I have a coupla CO2 cartridges to fill the tire afterward.

On 8/10/2024 at 8:08 PM, Doohickie said:

Nope, hadn't heard of those yet.  Intriguing.

My new bike has tubeless tires.  I wonder what it will be like when I get a puncture.  Supposedly small holes self-seal with the sealant inside the tire.  For larger holes I have a plug kit that can quickly inject a plug in a hole, and yes I have a coupla CO2 cartridges to fill the tire afterward.

Most people recommend to carry a tube just in case you get something that you can't plug. We had this happen on a recent gravel ride; oddly enough, it was a guy on MTB. Unfortunately, he ended up walking for awhile until one of us got back and picked him up with the car.

If you get a really bad hole, you can also use a wrapper or dollar inside the tire to cover the hole and it'll hold until you get home. FWIW, my gravel bike didn't like getting set up tubeless, so I'm still running tubes there.

Speaking of bikes, I might be in Ft Worth in October; my tradition for work trips is to bring my bike and ride a couple days after the trip is done. Are there some good places to ride out there?

1 hour ago, MattPie said:

Most people recommend to carry a tube just in case you get something that you can't plug. We had this happen on a recent gravel ride; oddly enough, it was a guy on MTB. Unfortunately, he ended up walking for awhile until one of us got back and picked him up with the car.

If you get a really bad hole, you can also use a wrapper or dollar inside the tire to cover the hole and it'll hold until you get home. FWIW, my gravel bike didn't like getting set up tubeless, so I'm still running tubes there.

Speaking of bikes, I might be in Ft Worth in October; my tradition for work trips is to bring my bike and ride a couple days after the trip is done. Are there some good places to ride out there?

I've got a tube just in case.  Don't really trust the tubeless just yet.  And yes I've used the dollar bill trick before.

Sure, lots of places to ride in Fort Worth.  To start there is the Trinity Trail system along the Trinity River.  The river was rechanneled by the Army Corps of Engineers in the 1950s/60s70s after major flooding in the 1940s.  The old work roads along the river from that effort are now bicycle trails.  Some sections are fully paved in blacktop or concrete, some are fine packed gravel.  I've ridden pretty much all of it on road bike tires.  Plus there are other places to ride and also maybe group rides you might be able to join (especially if you're here on a weekend).  Send me a message and we can discuss further.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Sadly, my Right achilles is not tolerating this new attempt at getting back in shape, it took all of 1 run of 1 mile and one cycle session and it's all swollen and ticked off. It's initially what sidelined me from competing in Ironman lake placid a few years back. The time off alone has not helped it much. I even bought a new coros pace watch as I was getting excited to train again. 

I'm going to try the Alfredsen protocol for eccentric achilles loading and buy a small Ultrasound Shockwave machine for tendon treatment and see how it goes. Looks like the next 3 months are heavy rehab and general strength training/flexibility. Fingers crossed 

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/18/2024 at 6:06 PM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Sadly, my Right achilles is not tolerating this new attempt at getting back in shape, it took all of 1 run of 1 mile and one cycle session and it's all swollen and ticked off. It's initially what sidelined me from competing in Ironman lake placid a few years back. The time off alone has not helped it much. I even bought a new coros pace watch as I was getting excited to train again. 

I'm going to try the Alfredsen protocol for eccentric achilles loading and buy a small Ultrasound Shockwave machine for tendon treatment and see how it goes. Looks like the next 3 months are heavy rehab and general strength training/flexibility. Fingers crossed 

Good luck on the rehab. 

Not to make light of the situation but on the humorous side, the Alfredson Protocal and the Ultrasound Shockwave Machine sound like things from the Bat Cave, circa mid-60's Batman and Robin. 

batman and robin running GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

I haven't ridden my fixed gear bike in almost a year.  The front wheel was borked and frankly I was afraid I might collapse it if I kept riding it.  This week I rebuilt it with new spokes and the existing hub and rim.  I went from radial lacing to a 3-cross pattern which gives it better resistance to brake torque.  Took it out for a quick 12 mile shakedown ride tonight; the wheel did well.  I had forgotten how much I like riding fixie.

On 8/25/2024 at 10:28 AM, #freejame said:

I went for just over a two mile run today and boy was it awful. I signed up for 30 weeks of hockey (where’s that thread?) so I’m trying to step things up a little bit beforehand. 

It will help.. as much as it sucks right now.

Just now, Doohickie said:

I haven't ridden my fixed gear bike in almost a year.  The front wheel was borked and frankly I was afraid I might collapse it if I kept riding it.  This week I rebuilt it with new spokes and the existing hub and rim.  I went from radial lacing to a 3-cross pattern which gives it better resistance to brake torque.  Took it out for a quick 12 mile shakedown ride tonight; the wheel did well.  I had forgotten how much I like riding fixie.

Sale Wtf GIF

• Haha (+1) 3

Rode my age today. I'm 61 and rode 62.1 miles. Woof, I'm tired! So far today I've consumed: A cappuccino, a spinach & cheese croissant, and two beers. I'm bushed!

Out to the edge of town:
yVRGjj5eGQ03zUIVV4Lceb4xng6bZqL0zYqu55LW

Breakfast at mile 18:
jA8hsvuvhHA-fScJKVF_hsC-72EcfzP9PwXBeMVP

Liquid lunch at mile 52:
Jf-MWnI4Nn1162ReBRnZuGx4749YZfDqb-MRG4cd

Downtown:
sgjP4V7h_gkzw2tt32Vc8ZZQMk6eviMYzhKCXt58

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

So far today I've consumed: A cappuccino, a spinach & cheese croissant, and two beers. I'm bushed!

After I posted that, I drank some chocolate milk, a coupla Gatorades and then I walked my dog 3 miles.  By then I was ravenous so I went for a Tommy's burger.

53975545132_7f262611ca_b.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/6/2024 at 4:45 PM, Doohickie said:

Rode my age today. I'm 61 and rode 62.1 miles. Woof, I'm tired! So far today I've consumed: A cappuccino, a spinach & cheese croissant, and two beers. I'm bushed!

Out to the edge of town:
yVRGjj5eGQ03zUIVV4Lceb4xng6bZqL0zYqu55LW

Breakfast at mile 18:
jA8hsvuvhHA-fScJKVF_hsC-72EcfzP9PwXBeMVP

Liquid lunch at mile 52:
Jf-MWnI4Nn1162ReBRnZuGx4749YZfDqb-MRG4cd

Downtown:
sgjP4V7h_gkzw2tt32Vc8ZZQMk6eviMYzhKCXt58

Congrats, that seems like a great accomplishment.

That milestone will be even harder to achieve as you age.

One of my goals is to shoot my age in golf. I can score in the high 70’s but I just turned 60. I need to maintain my level of performance for almost 20 years, let alone live that long.

5 hours ago, French Collection said:

That milestone will be even harder to achieve as you age.

Old Guys™ have that covered:  If you don't feel you can ride your age, some guys ride 100 - their age, a more realistic goal as we get old and decrepit.

Between Friday's ride and this morning's breakfast ride, I covered 96 miles over a 30 hour span.  (A friend of mine did three times that in the same time frame.)

qscnJmwIm-o_nZiE6S3CIK6DN65-579CiDOL7-rT

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Old Guys™ have that covered:  If you don't feel you can ride your age, some guys ride 100 - their age, a more realistic goal as we get old and decrepit.

Between Friday's ride and this morning's breakfast ride, I covered 96 miles over a 30 hour span.  (A friend of mine did three times that in the same time frame.)

qscnJmwIm-o_nZiE6S3CIK6DN65-579CiDOL7-rT

If you need a boost, vacation in Canada and use kilometres, 37% less work.

• Haha (+1) 2