The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Wow, that was pretty close to where I worked (Hughes Aircraft back then, the building at 909 S Sepulveda... which looks like it has several tenants now).  In the 1980s Everything from El Segundo to Redondo Beach was aerospace firms.... Hughes, TRW, Raytheon, etc.  People used to jump back and forth between companies to get raises.

I know that area well.  Been to Hughes hundreds of times.   The weekend newspaper had 20 pages of job ads for aerospace back then too.  McDonnell Douglas in Long Beach, Northrop in Hawthorn, Lockheed, General Dynamics, Ford Aerospace, Loral, Rockwell,  etc.  

Lots of greats jobs in So Cal in the 80’s. Not to mention the chip industry in Silicon Valley. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

Saw a man this week, was on a bike ride, about 12 miles in. Called EMS for "heat exhaustion" came in looking like crap... Was evolving into a massive STEMI (heart attack) then went into V fib arrest, got a few shocks and some cpr, etc etc. He lived, had a complete blockage and stented. 

Moral of the story... Working out is bad for your health 😜😂😂

• Haha (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Saw a man this week, was on a bike ride, about 12 miles in. Called EMS for "heat exhaustion" came in looking like crap... Was evolving into a massive STEMI (heart attack) then went into V fib arrest, got a few shocks and some cpr, etc etc. He lived, had a complete blockage and stented. 

Moral of the story... Working out is bad for your health 😜😂😂

Jim Fixx endorses this message.  😉 

I decided today was the day that I was gonna try and get into shape a bit, I've let it go Wayyyy too long. After that medical issue, I Haven't trusted my body as it just doesn't keep up and my muscles only like to partially work under stress now. 

Today was an Ab day, I have the tonal and used it... I also did some stretching and light lifting. I am completely out of shape, holy hell. I am trying to get my muscles loosened and strengthened a but before I even think of a jog or a ride on the Trek 

I think the last straw is when my scrub pants are too tight now that when I sit, it puts pressure on certain male parts 😂😂

2 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I decided today was the day that I was gonna try and get into shape a bit, I've let it go Wayyyy too long. After that medical issue, I Haven't trusted my body as it just doesn't keep up and my muscles only like to partially work under stress now. 

Today was an Ab day, I have the tonal and used it... I also did some stretching and light lifting. I am completely out of shape, holy hell. I am trying to get my muscles loosened and strengthened a but before I even think of a jog or a ride on the Trek 

I think the last straw is when my scrub pants are too tight now that when I sit, it puts pressure on certain male parts 😂😂

I started doing abs. Every morning. Maybe I pushed too hard. Those muscles ache. Maybe I do every other day. 

7 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

a ride on the Trek 

Nice thing about cycling:  You can go as hard or easy as you need to, and work into fitness somewhat gradually.

This new bike is the first one I've had with brifters and since I don't have to move my hands to shift I'm shifting more frequently and I'm trying to keep my legs moving all the time.

7 hours ago, spndnchz said:

I started doing abs. Every morning. Maybe I pushed too hard. Those muscles ache. Maybe I do every other day. 

Did you ever try planks?   You can do them daily in just a few minutes.  When done correctly they work your abs and your entire core, plus shoulders and just about everything.  

I am up to 40 seconds times 3 sets - I do them everyday after stretching, somedays I am stiff and feel old (which I am) so I cut back to 10 or 20 seconds just to warm up better, then I go for 40 seconds.   Warm up and mental focus is important to do them correctly.  I use my iphone timer to help me.  

I was in Buffalo for 5 weeks with no gym and no weights.   So I did this workout every other day, it starts with stretching and some yoga moves.   Then planks, crunches, leg lifts, pushups, lunges, squats, and butt raises.  Repeat 3 times.  After that stretch again.   It takes me about 30 minutes to do this at home or in a hotel room for that matter.  The results have been very good and I feel much stronger and leaner.  I came back from Buffalo with no weight gained and feeling like I made more progress - no gym, no weights, just simple exercises.  

Just hold this pose for X seconds, form is important.  Not moving your butt or shaking during the move is important.  Rest for about X seconds, repeat 3 or 4 times.   X will increase each week, even if you can only add a few seconds to X, you will get better.  Even if you start out at 3 or 5 seconds, go for it!  In a few weeks you will be surprised.  Your shoulders might hold you back a bit at first, but they will strengthen, so just press on with them and the gains will happen.  

plank.jpg.0260de0b5bc1dd56094839f7545d3913.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

Nice. Going to pick up my rehab mountain bike twrw. Going to head to Hunters creek and Holiday valley. 

I went to buy a road bike, ended up going for a gravel bike.  It just felt more "me".  Loving it so far.