The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

5 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Damn Tara flour, who woulda thunk it. As long as the AST/ALT are going back down then you should be good. 

Not us! 🙂 There's a wild theory that they ordered Tara Powder instead of Tara Flour, which is a dye used in tanning.

Our AST/ALT are back to normal now, MsPie's was like 300+ at one point.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a new way to break a sweat.  My primary road bike has been a 1983 Raleigh Super Course.  Today I picked up a brand new Trek Checkpoint SL 5.  It's a gravel bike.  I was looking at a Trek Domane, which is basically a road bike with slightly wider tires.  The Checkpoint is more of a pure gravel bike.  I think really what I need is a road bike, but I took the Domane out and I though it felt good, then I took the Checkpoint and it felt right.  Like it was built for me. 

This bike is my first

• carbon fiber bike
  • bike with brifters
  • bike with disc brakes
  • bike with tubeless tires
  • bike with clipless pedals

I will have to do a few short checkout rides to get used to the clipless pedals.

image.thumb.png.2d34b10bd17a4371971bf0fb0268e778.png

image.thumb.png.32d3e2075de6d6d8d9a1e77eea2a27d3.png

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I have a new way to break a sweat.  My primary road bike has been a 1983 Raleigh Super Course.  Today I picked up a brand new Trek Checkpoint SL 5.  It's a gravel bike.  I was looking at a Trek Domane, which is basically a road bike with slightly wider tires.  The Checkpoint is more of a pure gravel bike.  I think really what I need is a road bike, but I took the Domane out and I though it felt good, then I took the Checkpoint and it felt right.  Like it was built for me. 

This bike is my first

• carbon fiber bike
  • bike with brifters
  • bike with disc brakes

I will have to do a few short checkout rides to get used to the clipless pedals.

Is that a Golf R?

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Is *what* a Golf R?

The white car?  That's my Fiat 500.

My eyes don't work as well after the retina in my right eye detached 

My bad 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Another day, another ride.  Swung by the bike shop and they helped me adjust the seat height.  Now the bike feels even better.

WgesfboUT17imMkYwj3VEWitTl7LP7t6Y6zAJV_z

That's such a sweet ride, congrats. I don't have a carbon bike, but I love all the other things you mentioned; brifters, disc, and clipless. And gravel bikes rock, almost as fast as a road bike, but go anywhere. I do a Thursday night ride that ends up on gravel roads, state forest roads, and some state forest trails.

I'm doing a minivacation in LA right now, and managed to do a decent climb in the Santa Monica mountains last night. 2000ft up over a little under 8 miles. Never thought I'd enjoy riding bikes up hills this much.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BfGWHw4JdywMQB8B7

Latigo Canyon Road, near Malibu. It's cloudy, but the ocean is in the distance there. Life goals.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Wow, that's some awesome scenery.

I still feel like I'm getting used to this bike, but it's been great.  I think I am going to opt for a Brooks saddle like on all my other bikes.  Got out for 24 miles this morning.

adTZJeuXwKeSU0ZGuGextXj9wEo8ndRBTGwTi1hh

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Planks.  What a simple and amazing exercise.  

I am on a 5 week summer vacation trip and away from my normal retirement routine at home.  I have made great strides by going to the gym and weight training for the past 7 months.  I was afraid I would get lazy and lose my progress.  

My son is a workout warrior.  He gave me a workout routine that does not require weights, or bands, that I can do anywhere and everyday in 30 minutes.  No excuses he said.  

Stretches, yoga movements, planks, push ups, crunches, butt raises, squats, lunges, and more planks, and more stretches.  Planks are awesome.  Never did them until now.  

My daughter told me I look “jacked”.     😂 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Another day, another ride.  Swung by the bike shop and they helped me adjust the seat height.  Now the bike feels even better.

WgesfboUT17imMkYwj3VEWitTl7LP7t6Y6zAJV_z

How tall are you? What size is the bike?

On 7/14/2024 at 4:40 AM, Doohickie said:

This bike is my first

• carbon fiber bike
  • bike with brifters
  • bike with disc brakes

Glorious machine. Best decision I make was trade my road bike for a gravel bike. If you plan on doing a lot of trail riding I can’t recommend the surly knard tyre enough. What a difference it made to my ride. (Especially when jnr was on the back in the baby seat). 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I'm 6'-2"  That's a 58.  Maybe I could ride a 60, but this bike feels great.

That seat looks high, but you're probably getting the extension you need.

My kid has a size 58 Domane and he's 6'2". It is a comfortable bike although personally I'm not a fan of the drop down bars.

A good bike is totally worth the investment - congratulations on the purchase!

Edited by ...
Pictures don't lie.
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

We had our biggest group for our Saturday morning breakfast ride since the pandemic this morning... 14 riders.  That's my ugly mug in the foreground.  This was my first 30 mile ride on the new bike.

image.thumb.png.9ae7e287f635f36406c026eee4e9e379.png

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 7/19/2024 at 3:23 PM, Pimlach said:

Planks.  What a simple and amazing exercise.  

I am on a 5 week summer vacation trip and away from my normal retirement routine at home.  I have made great strides by going to the gym and weight training for the past 7 months.  I was afraid I would get lazy and lose my progress.  

My son is a workout warrior.  He gave me a workout routine that does not require weights, or bands, that I can do anywhere and everyday in 30 minutes.  No excuses he said.  

Stretches, yoga movements, planks, push ups, crunches, butt raises, squats, lunges, and more planks, and more stretches.  Planks are awesome.  Never did them until now.  

My daughter told me I look “jacked”.     😂 

Any chance you'd share the workout?  Sounds like it's working.

5 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Some more LA photos. Turns out, you can ride a bike up to the top of Mt Lee behind the Hollywood sign. Also some Santa Monica beach pics in there.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/moQwMPBHnAyPgLuG9

When I lived in L.A. in the 1980s, we only had one car so I would often take my bike to work just south of LAX.  We lived a little north of LAX.  It was longer to ride, but I would often ride out to the strand on the beach than take the shorter "overland" route up on the bluff.

image.png.8b93b238233394f76ea5f9550ff3fe4b.png

Since those innocent days I've heard the Ballona Creek bicycle path got kind of dangerous, with people getting mugged/bikes stolen.

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

When I lived in L.A. in the 1980s, we only had one car so I would often take my bike to work just south of LAX.  We lived a little north of LAX.  It was longer to ride, but I would often ride out to the strand on the beach than take the shorter "overland" route up on the bluff.

image.png.8b93b238233394f76ea5f9550ff3fe4b.png

Since those innocent days I've heard the Ballona Creek bicycle path got kind of dangerous, with people getting mugged/bikes stolen.

Oh jeez, we were staying right where you worked. AC Hotel on Nash and Maple a block or two south of LAX. I didn't ride Ballona Creek path (although that was on my radar), I was going to ride along Playa Del Beach, but instead went to Venice beach and then rode from there up to the end of the path past Santa Monica pier and back. I rode a bit of that section of Imperial Highway and I found it uninspiring, other than airplane-fan me looking over at LAX.

• Like (+1) 1

Wow, that was pretty close to where I worked (Hughes Aircraft back then, the building at 909 S Sepulveda... which looks like it has several tenants now).  In the 1980s Everything from El Segundo to Redondo Beach was aerospace firms.... Hughes, TRW, Raytheon, etc.  People used to jump back and forth between companies to get raises.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 2