Gerbe on Buyout Waivers

That Aud Smell

They still have one more to use.

Darcy is meticulous and diligent if nothing else. I have no faith in him building a cup contender, but when it comes to navigating a chess board I'm betting he's tough to beat. I doubt the CBO is "wasted" on Gerbe. I don't see a ton of value in using a CBO here but I am willing to trust that there is or Darcy wouldn't use it.

Between this and trying to spin it as "a favor"....I'm beginning to think your account has been hacked. It's an absolute waste......either that, or Pegula is done spending money. The loose change he saves on Gerbe while wasting a buyout......if you are creative, you could sign a guy like Iginla to a 3 year, 22 million contract while he gets offered 4 years 18 on the open market. If he still has something in the tank and turns out to be a great leader and the kids spark to a playoff position....you keep him. If not you buy him out, he still walks away with $10 million in cash for 1 year and now only needs to make 8 million over the next 3 to break even on his original best offer. And just because a trade hasn't been made yet, you waste that option. And as far as a favor...."Honey, I packed up all my belongings and left town forever with my lover Rodrigo while you were at work. I just wanted to do you a favor so you can get out there on the dating scene. Sorry I couldn't give you a call, or tell you this in person after we've been married for 7 years, but I figured leaving this note in the mailbox was good enough."........

Between this and trying to spin it as "a favor"....I'm beginning to think your account has been hacked. It's an absolute waste......either that, or Pegula is done spending money. The loose change he saves on Gerbe while wasting a buyout......if you are creative, you could sign a guy like Iginla to a 3 year, 22 million contract while he gets offered 4 years 18 on the open market. If he still has something in the tank and turns out to be a great leader and the kids spark to a playoff position....you keep him. If not you buy him out, he still walks away with $10 million in cash for 1 year and now only needs to make 8 million over the next 3 to break even on his original best offer. And just because a trade hasn't been made yet, you waste that option. And as far as a favor...."Honey, I packed up all my belongings and left town forever with my lover Rodrigo while you were at work. I just wanted to do you a favor so you can get out there on the dating scene. Sorry I couldn't give you a call, or tell you this in person after we've been married for 7 years, but I figured leaving this note in the mailbox was good enough."........

I most definitely did not try to spin it as the team doing Gerbe a favor. Re-read if that is what you got out of it. I specifically pointed out that it was most likely not done for that reason. I was merely pointing out the "good side" for Gerbe.

Dwight, it seems obvious to me that they are not building a team that is going to be anywhere near good this season. Where would the value be in an Iginla-type signing if the goal is to suck while developing youth? You explore the opportunity to do a team a "favor" by buying out their overpaid vet in return for prying young top talent from them. If that opportunity doesn't exist (which is something I am now confident of) then you don't really have an outlet for using the CBO to forward the goal of rebuilding your team. Might as well use it on Gerbe and retain the other CBO "just in case" another opportunity presents itself.

And as for putting the midget in Rochester.... why? It is obvious that the organization is getting away from the Gerbe's, Ennis', etc. they are going bigger, tougher, and more two-way. gerbe doesn't mesh with that. Why saddle the team in Rochester with trying to mesh this kid in with the new vision for the organization?

Buying him out was the right move. Using a CBO for it is probably inconsequential.

Between this and trying to spin it as "a favor"....I'm beginning to think your account has been hacked. It's an absolute waste......either that, or Pegula is done spending money. The loose change he saves on Gerbe while wasting a buyout......if you are creative, you could signn a guy like Iginla to a 3 year, 22 million contract while he gets offered 4 years 18 on the open market. If he still has something in the tank and turns out to be a great leader and the kids spark to a playoff position....you keep him. If not you buy him out, he still walks away with $10 million in cash for 1 year and now only needs to make 8 million over the next 3 to break even on his original best offer. And just because a trade hasn't been made yet, you waste that option. And as far as a favor...."Honey, I packed up all my belongings and left town forever with my lover Rodrigo while you were at work. I just wanted to do you a favor so you can get out there on the dating scene. Sorry I couldn't give you a call, or tell you this in person after we've been married for 7 years, but I figured leaving this note in the mailbox was good enough."........

I don't think Iginla is going to go from a contender to a bottom feeder for $4MM. And buying him out would be an awful choice because it's a 35+ contract, so there's no way to get out from under it.

Unless the plan is to replace him with Briere?

Just trying to poke fun at those on this board who freak out when he's referred to as a center lol.

But as for the rest of your post I tend to agree. In my opinion he could be brought in to help teach ennis how to better cope with playing against bigger guys. But any contributions he would likely provide the team with would be things that don't get placed on stat sheets.

I'm also kind of curious to see how he would do in between Leino and Ott.

I most definitely did not try to spin it as the team doing Gerbe a favor. Re-read if that is what you got out of it. I specifically pointed out that it was most likely not done for that reason. I was merely pointing out the "good side" for Gerbe.

Dwight, it seems obvious to me that they are not building a team that is going to be anywhere near good this season. Where would the value be in an Iginla-type signing if the goal is to suck while developing youth? You explore the opportunity to do a team a "favor" by buying out their overpaid vet in return for prying young top talent from them. If that opportunity doesn't exist (which is something I am now confident of) then you don't really have an outlet for using the CBO to forward the goal of rebuilding your team. Might as well use it on Gerbe and retain the other CBO "just in case" another opportunity presents itself.

And as for putting the midget in Rochester.... why? It is obvious that the organization is getting away from the Gerbe's, Ennis', etc. they are going bigger, tougher, and more two-way. gerbe doesn't mesh with that. Why saddle the team in Rochester with trying to mesh this kid in with the new vision for the organization?

Buying him out was the right move. Using a CBO for it is probably inconsequential.

Maybe I made too much out of the favor comment. In the grand scheme of things this move doesn't really matter most likely, I agree.....and I have no problem with Gerbe not being here. The whole thing sends a weird signal however, because as much sense as people are trying to find in it, given Pegula's willingness to take on overpaid vets and bury them.....this is a double whammy against that ability and willingness. Not only do you burn one of your 2 potential buyout assets, but you do it on a guy making 10-20% of what Kotalik and Morrisson were owed. This within 24 hours of Darcy saying it wouldn't happen. I agree, cut ties if you think the kid can't help you, and by doing so, it gives him the ability to go to 29 other teams which is an indirect favor.....but the signal here is off. And if the goal truly is to suck for 2-3 years so you can get a top 5 pick.....there's nothing saying that you don't up with Alex Daigle and Jason Bonsignore given Darcy's history.....look, he just went for the Euro defenseman at 8 over 2 power forwards that went the next 2 picks. This could be setting up for a decade of disaster. If Black really is running the team for "the next owner", that could come quicker than we imagined if this team is bad the next 3-4 years.

I don't think Iginla is going to go from a contender to a bottom feeder for $4MM. And buying him out would be an awful choice because it's a 35+ contract, so there's no way to get out from under it.

If the plan is to "suck", and they get rid of Miller and Vanek, they will be $20 million+ under the cap the next few years anyway, so eating a contract for 2 years shouldn't be a problem. That is unless of course Pegula has stopped spending, which I hope isn't the case.

Makes more sense if this is the case:

@BuffNewsVogl

The Sabres tell me that Nathan Gerbe's buyout is not a compliance buyout. It's just a regular buyout.

At least that is better.

Question related to the number of contracts - since the Sabres are paying a portion of the Pominville contract; does it still count as part of the 50? I wouldn't think so but you never know.

So, original points stand:

Gerbe is being cut because he's not in the team's plans.

Harrington didn't check his facts.

No compliance buyout squandered.

Business as usual. Nothing to see here.

So, original points stand:

Gerbe is being cut because he's not in the team's plans.

Harrington didn't check his facts.

No compliance buyout squandered.

Business as usual. Nothing to see here.

Who do you believe? Hoppe said the agent and Gerbe had no warning. The BN said compliance. GR is clueless. The Sabres are clueless............So pretty much, the media sucks, Twitter sucks, the Sabres suck, and we'd all be better off sticking to the Awesome and What are You Eating threads.........which in all honesty, I can get behind.

Who do you believe? Hoppe said the agent and Gerbe had no warning. The BN said compliance. GR is clueless. The Sabres are clueless............So pretty much, the media sucks, Twitter sucks, the Sabres suck, and we'd all be better off sticking to the Awesome and What are You Eating threads.........which in all honesty, I can get behind.

What's the big deal?

I think you've pretty much nailed it.

Who, by the way, didn't notify Peverley he had been traded...found out from the media ;)

I'm even getting sick of making fun of the Sabres. I just watched the youtube of their selections in the draft after PA said Ted Black and Pegula were jostling for camera position......it was a joke. Ted took the Make-a-Wish kid and physically moved him down the line away from Rasmus. Then he rolled his eyes and tried to dissuade Pegula from switching positions with him. They assumed the Fin would be all goo-goo for Terry and Ted and split them for the pic. Little did they know he would gravitate to the #3 scout. Awesome stuff. At least when Nikita was drafted, Ted knew he had to move for Pegula. I need a new hobby. Seriously. This sucks beyond sucking right now.

I'm even getting sick of making fun of the Sabres. I just watched the youtube of their selections in the draft after PA said Ted Black and Pegula were jostling for camera position......it was a joke. Ted took the Make-a-Wish kid and physically moved him down the line away from Rasmus. Then he rolled his eyes and tried to dissuade Pegula from switching positions with him. They assumed the Fin would be all goo-goo for Terry and Ted and split them for the pic. Little did they know he would gravitate to the #3 scout. Awesome stuff. At least when Nikita was drafted, Ted knew he had to move for Pegula. I need a new hobby. Seriously. This sucks beyond sucking right now.

###### is highly underrated

The dark GoDD has arrived. Behold! I welcome his arrival.

This sent me over the edge after PA pointed it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb8L_G4PtPc Watch Teddy at 0:35 yank the Make-a-Wish kid out of the way....then at 2:10 when Terry wants to get his picture taken.....Ted ignores...rolls his eyes and throws the head....then looks for a scapegoat on the other side in Sabre scout, Rip van Winkle......but it was too late and Ted wasted all that black shoe polish in his hair for nothing.

Archived