The other sports thread

Eleven

He has no value anyways. He'll retire at the end of this year

I don't think he will retire.

He seems to be having fun this season.  I listened to part of that Sunday night game against the Tigers.  He seems to be 29 again and not 39.

Not that I give a fiddlers fart about him, the Red Sox, or throwy, hitty and catchy ball.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

I don't think he will retire.

He seems to be having fun this season.  I listened to part of that Sunday night game against the Tigers.  He seems to be 29 again and not 39.

Not that I give a fiddlers fart about him, the Red Sox, or throwy, hitty and catchy ball.

It's amazing how little you care about baseball while the Jays are sub .500  :P

So, it was the pitching that cost them last night.

Well, the pitching was good enough, but the big bats were silent.

Yea a 3-2 game isn't on the pitching staff. But the pitching is obviously the problem there.

On the Sox dump: I don't think they'll be dumping Ramirez and Sandoval. They did get A-Gon and Crawford before dumping them shortly after, but I don't know that they want to develop an image of a franchise that does that.

If I'm an organization like Boston guys like Big Papi have a free pass to play with us for (basically) what he wants until he's completely incapable.

Rangers land Cole Hamles. I'm surprised at this one, I figured a team more in the hunt would have aggressively pursued a young lefty like Hamels.

The length of his deal and the fact that it's affordable made him a target for all.

The David Price chase will be interesting. Seems like everybody is assuming that it'll be the Dodgers (they just made a big trade acquiring two starters but one fits perfectly into what Detroit wants back for Price). Toronto, San Fran and Chicago (Cubs) seem like they're interested. We'll see.

The length of his deal and the fact that it's affordable made him a target for all.

The David Price chase will be interesting. Seems like everybody is assuming that it'll be the Dodgers (they just made a big trade acquiring two starters but one fits perfectly into what Detroit wants back for Price). Toronto, San Fran and Chicago (Cubs) seem like they're interested. We'll see.

The Yankees desperately need starting pitching, especially a lefty. Really it's the only thing we need

Yea a 3-2 game isn't on the pitching staff. But the pitching is obviously the problem there.

On the Sox dump: I don't think they'll be dumping Ramirez and Sandoval. They did get A-Gon and Crawford before dumping them shortly after, but I don't know that they want to develop an image of a franchise that does that.

If I'm an organization like Boston guys like Big Papi have a free pass to play with us for (basically) what he wants until he's completely incapable.

It would be worse to have an image of team that is finishes last in the Division by a wide margin as the Sox did last season and appear to be repeating this season. Making mistakes and dying with those mistakes is never a good idea.

It's time to say "thank you" and "good bye" to David Ortiz.  You can't move forward if you hanging onto the past.  

Wow. Sounds like the Blue Jays may be landing David Price.

That'll be interesting because I don't see him signing long-term, nor do I see him making them World Series favorites. They're giving up a ton of top prospects for a few months of a guy. Desperation by management.

Wow. Sounds like the Blue Jays may be landing David Price.

That'll be interesting because I don't see him signing long-term, nor do I see him making them World Series favorites. They're giving up a ton of top prospects for a few months of a guy. Desperation by management.

If they land him and don't have an extension hammered out beforehand it's a terrible move. Though they really do need to do something to bring that organization and fans back to October

Price to Toronto is official. Daniel Norris, Matt Boyd and Jairo Labourt going to Detroit.

ESPN reporting Price is likely a lease

If so it's a tough price to pay (no pun intended) for a few months of his services. Especially when the Jays are currently 7 GB for the division lead and similarly far away from the wild card.

Let's hope it works out cause we have been giving away lots of the pitching prospects that are supposed to save the team in the future.

If so it's a tough price to pay (no pun intended) for a few months of his services. Especially when the Jays are currently 7 GB for the division lead and similarly far away from the wild card.

Let's hope it works out cause we have been giving away lots of the pitching prospects that are supposed to save the team in the future.

Agree with it being a tough Price to pay. I think they'll regret this. It's World Series or bust considering what they just gave up for Price unless they surprise and re-sign him.

But the Jays are only 2 out in the Wild Card chase.

The thing with acquiring pitchers is that they can only pitch every five days... Will this really make a big difference in the regular season? I don't think so. It'll be huge for the postseason.

Agree with it being a tough Price to pay. I think they'll regret this. It's World Series or bust considering what they just gave up for Price unless they surprise and re-sign him.

The thing with acquiring pitchers is that they can only pitch every five days... Will this really make a big difference in the regular season? I don't think so. It'll be huge for the postseason.

Have you seen the Blue Jays pitching this season? Adding a top of the rotation ace also bumps the worst starter out of the rotation, a rotation that is currently #13 in ERA in the AL (out of 15)

The Jays need pitching badly, but they still need at least one more competent starter before I would give them a shot at the playoffs.

It would be worse to have an image of team that is finishes last in the Division by a wide margin as the Sox did last season and appear to be repeating this season. Making mistakes and dying with those mistakes is never a good idea.

It's time to say "thank you" and "good bye" to David Ortiz. You can't move forward if you hanging onto the past.

Sox can't trade papi. He's the face of the franchise. Just can't happen. I think he rides off into the sunset eating beans and rice this offseason. Edited by inkman

Sox can't trade papi. He's the face of the franchise. Just can't happen. I think he rides off into the sunset eating beans and rice this offseason.

That would be crazy.  Like Wade Boggs or Johnny Damon playing for the Yankees or something.

The Jays are certainly going all out on the playoff push this year. Added a true leadoff hitter in Ben Revere and a reliever in Mark Lowe. Here's to hoping we see the Jays in the playoffs come September.

The Jays are certainly going all out on the playoff push this year. Added a true leadoff hitter in Ben Revere and a reliever in Mark Lowe. Here's to hoping we see the Jays in the playoffs come September.

So, how do you feel about Mark Lowe after his debut this afternoon.  I thought he was the real deal that would really help the pen.  Well, not so far.  Probably over trying to impress the new team mates and fans.

The pitching in general is still extremely suspect.  The relief pitching especially.

Not to mention that true lead off hitter in Revere ... zip for 5 and 3 left on base.  That's just great.

So, how do you feel about Mark Lowe after his debut this afternoon.  I thought he was the real deal that would really help the pen.  Well, not so far.  Probably over trying to impress the new team mates and fans.

The pitching in general is still extremely suspect.  The relief pitching especially.

Not to mention that true lead off hitter in Revere ... zip for 5 and 3 left on base.  That's just great.

First games with new teams are always generally pretty lackluster. Most MLB players are creatures of routine and do not perform well without that comfort zone.

Revere will be fine, as he has the speed and slap hitter mentality to just get on base for the power hitters. The pitching will always be a little suspect since Rogers Centre has something like the second highest offensive park rating next to Coors Field in Colorado. Even good pitchers stink at Coors (and presumably Rogers).