The other sports thread

Eleven

While sitting in a room that was a shrine to John Smoltz, John Smoltz was "humbled beyond belief" that he was elected.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I don't think I'd have my own jersey framed and hanging in my man cave. Glavine and Maddux jerseys would have been cooler.

May have been a special occasion jersey.

Meanwhile, Jon Jones checked himself into a drug treatment facility for coke. He is a dumbass.

Edited by Tank

I understand there are some politics involved in MLB hall of fame voting, but I have no idea how people could not vote for either Randy Johnson or Pedro Martinez on this ballot. They were both over 90%, but I would love to know the reasoning behind the <10% of people who did not vote for them.

I understand there are some politics involved in MLB hall of fame voting, but I have no idea how people could not vote for either Randy Johnson or Pedro Martinez on this ballot. They were both over 90%, but I would love to know the reasoning behind the <10% of people who did not vote for them.

Probably PETA's influence on Randy Johnson. They are still upset about that bird he killed with that pitch way back when.

For a lot of writers there are separate standards for HoF and "First Ballot" HoF.

It has everything to do with voters not wasting their ballots on them because they "know" they'll get in so they use a vote for somebody else they think should be in.

The voting system for MLB is terrible.

Jerry's party bus parties must not have influenced the officials at Lambeau too much yesterday. Unlike the horribly officiated Lions game, this one was called pretty evenly and fairly.

Glad to see the Cowgirls OUT! The chutzpah and self-love of calling themselves "America's Team" is just insufferable. In actuality, I've seen articles that no team is more hated nationwide than the Cowboys.

Jerry's party bus parties must not have influenced the officials at Lambeau too much yesterday. Unlike the horribly officiated Lions game, this one was called pretty evenly and fairly.

Glad to see the Cowgirls OUT! The chutzpah and self-love of calling themselves "America's Team" is just insufferable. In actuality, I've seen articles that no team is more hated nationwide than the Cowboys.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/America%27s_Team

I don't know why ESPN hired Tebow. He sounds like a 14 year old girl breaking down the game.

I think he's been very good as far as content but his voice is rough. I don't know what I'd rather have: the voice in Herbstreit who says the most basic ###### or Tebow who sounds bad but says the right stuff.

How does this continue to be a difficult concept to players?? Hold the ###### ball

I always thought "carry the ball to the ref." Can't go wrong that way... Especially if you never score anyways... :(

I always thought "carry the ball to the ref." Can't go wrong that way... Especially if you never score anyways... :(

Exactly. It's like shaking the father's hand after you just hung out with his daughter.

Well, that could actually go pretty wrong depending on if you scored or not

Edited by WildCard

Just to be THAT GUY:

Ohio State's five penalties are a holding on an extra point, a personal foul at the one yard line (meaning they lost about 1.5 feet), a holding on a kickoff, a false start and a delay of game...

Oregon's nine penalties: pass interference, two false starts, a holding on a play that would've been 3rd and 1 if it stood, kickoff holding, false start, unsportsmanlike conduct (for arguing with a player that hit the QB a litte late), false start and kickoff holding.

Just to be THAT GUY:

Ohio State's five penalties are a holding on an extra point, a personal foul at the one yard line (meaning they lost about 1.5 feet), a holding on a kickoff, a false start and a delay of game...

Oregon's nine penalties: pass interference, two false starts, a holding on a play that would've been 3rd and 1 if it stood, kickoff holding, false start, unsportsmanlike conduct (for arguing with a player that hit the QB a litte late), false start and kickoff holding.

That's what they get for not wearing their team colors in the biggest game they've ever played.