The other sports thread

Eleven

UB is ditching the NEW YORK branding. Hallelujah!

I knew as soon as that idiot Danny White was gone that this was inevitable.  Great news.

EDIT:  Also, I love the fact that the alumni director is named Mary Garlick Roll.

Edited by Eleven

UB is ditching the NEW YORK branding. Hallelujah!

Good, that was stupid. There is no 1 University of NY. There's SU, Army and UB. (football is all that matters, let's face it. I hate that this is true). Oh and all of them are pretty irrelevant at football.

So the Warriors did it, they went 73-9, the best record in NBA history. In honor of that, here is a 538 article on how amazing Curry is. It's from December of 2015

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/stephen-curry-is-the-revolution/

Oh and Kobe put up 60 in his final game.

My god I couldn't care less about the freaking NBA. Something about Kobe actually putting forth effort in his final game to leave some sort of Mark sits really wrong with me. Edited by inkman

So my brother in law won his first web.com tournament last weekend in over a hundred and something tries.  This puts him in great position to get his PGA tour card back....and once again hearing all those baba booeys  :nana:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/04/10/manoticks-brad-fritsch-wins-webcom-tour-event

And speaking of tata toothy, one place you typically never hear any of that stuff is at the Masters, but I did hear one last week on Sunday during Spieth's meltdown.  Apparently doing that at the Masters not only gets you immediately ejected, but they also can suspend or expel the member who sponsored your ticket.  I went to the Masters a few years ago and although it's pretty raucous down by the concession stands and restrooms, they don't put up with any nonsense on the course.  I'm not sure if they caught the guy, but he had to be close to the tee box because it was loud and clear.

One absolutely beautiful thing about the Masters?  It's probably one of the last places on earth where thousands of people gather....and not a single one has a cell phone.

Steph Curry is just not on this planet. This is the Jordan of our time. He is just an animal. I mean, look at where he's taking these 3's, it's just not fair

I'm not a basketball fan at all, but I've watched the last dozen Warriors games, because he's a freak. He might turn me into a basketball fan, really.

Steph Curry is just not on this planet. This is the Jordan of our time. He is just an animal. I mean, look at where he's taking these 3's, it's just not fair

Ok, first, Jordan is the Jordan of our time.  It's not that long ago!

Second:  I love Steph Curry.  It is so much fun to watch him play.  He enjoys the game so much; he seems to enjoy life so much.  His long-range shooting has transformed the game into something *interesting* again.

But that said, he is not and never will be the player MJ was.  Jordan could do *everything*, and did it in an era when taking an elbow to the head was commonplace.  Jordan was the most famous athlete on the planet in his day (like OJ was).  An entire culture seemed to spring up around him.  He was that great.

Curry has me interested in bounceyball again, but Jordan--he had the whole country watching, every time he played.  

Ok, first, Jordan is the Jordan of our time. It's not that long ago!

Second: I love Steph Curry. It is so much fun to watch him play. He enjoys the game so much; he seems to enjoy life so much. His long-range shooting has transformed the game into something *interesting* again.

But that said, he is not and never will be the player MJ was. Jordan could do *everything*, and did it in an era when taking an elbow to the head was commonplace. Jordan was the most famous athlete on the planet in his day (like OJ was). An entire culture seemed to spring up around him. He was that great.

Curry has me interested in bounceyball again, but Jordan--he had the whole country watching, every time he played.

Thank you

Ok, first, Jordan is the Jordan of our time.  It's not that long ago!

Second:  I love Steph Curry.  It is so much fun to watch him play.  He enjoys the game so much; he seems to enjoy life so much.  His long-range shooting has transformed the game into something *interesting* again.

But that said, he is not and never will be the player MJ was.  Jordan could do *everything*, and did it in an era when taking an elbow to the head was commonplace.  Jordan was the most famous athlete on the planet in his day (like OJ was).  An entire culture seemed to spring up around him.  He was that great.

...says the old guy... :lol:

I don't know,... I use myself as the measuring stick, and if I'm even remotely interested in basketball, which I am because of him, I'd say Curry might be getting close to MJ status.

I don't know,... I use myself as the measuring stick, and if I'm even remotely interested in basketball, which I am because of him, I'd say Curry might be getting close to MJ status.

Athletically he can't touch Jordan. MJ could do things physically unheard of. LeBron has pushed the envelope of athletecism. Curry is an unbelievable scorer but he's not the physical marvel Jordan was.

Let me know when movies are written specifically as a vehicle to get Curry on the screen, when the whole country is singing "if I could be like Steph," when his face is plastered on billboards from Shanghai to Stockholm, when he is a fixture on the nightly news--and I mean network news, etc.

Athletically he can't touch Jordan. MJ could do things physically unheard of. LeBron has pushed the envelope of athletecism. Curry is an unbelievable scorer but he's not the physical marvel Jordan was.

That too.

To my untrained eye, he just looks like he is doing what MJ did only he uses less energy to do it. Curry's just smoover. Just my take.

To my untrained eye, he just looks like he is doing what MJ did only he uses less energy to do it. Curry's just smoover. Just my take.

But he doesn't do what MJ did.  He has an amazing outside shot, but he doesn't drive to the net like MJ could, doesn't dunk like MJ could, doesn't block or box out like MJ could.

And I like Curry better.  He's more entertaining, by far.

But MJ was a better player and a cultural phenomenon.

But he doesn't do what MJ did.  He has an amazing outside shot, but he doesn't drive to the net like MJ could, doesn't dunk like MJ could, doesn't block or box out like MJ could.

And I like Curry better.  He's more entertaining, by far.

But MJ was a better player and a cultural phenomenon.

I wonder if he would be more of a cultural phenomenon if he played in our time zone.