The other sports thread

Eleven

Oh I know who that ###### is, I just don't watch enough golf to hear this asnine ######. Stern seems pretty irrelevant at this point, surprised how an antiquated practice would still take place. I thought get in the hole guy was a loser. I guess I found someone less cool.

Its proclamations like "best bullpen in the league" that make Yankee fans hard to tolerate. You have no idea how they will pan out, you are just making blanket assumptions on what you think you know.

Really ink? It's a widely held opinion among analysts, and not just pompous, ignorant Yankee fans like myself, that the NYY and Royals have the best bullpens in baseball. Your statement is confusing, to say the least. Your incorrect belief that stats can't be based on trends and previous results is just that, incorrect. We lost nobody outside of Warren and added Chapman. Baring something like an injury or total, inexplicable collapse by 2/3 guys, the Yankees have the best bullpen

Like only Yankees fans predict accurate things about stats from last year. I guess all fans who make predictions are hard to tolerate because the future is unknown

A guy who regularly interviews the top names in pop culture, music, news etc. isn't irrelevant. 30 million subscribers also isn't irrelevant.

If ten percent of those subscribers listen to him I would be surprised.

I know that of all the people I know with Sirius/XM, zero percent listen to him.

If ten percent of those subscribers listen to him I would be surprised.

I know that of all the people I know with Sirius/XM, zero percent listen to him.

I couldn't disagree more, if the bolded were the case they wouldn't be paying him what they do. Stern is SiriusXM.  But that's neither here nor there in regard to his relevance in the world of news and pop culture.

Really ink? It's a widely held opinion among analysts, and not just pompous, ignorant Yankee fans like myself, that the NYY and Royals have the best bullpens in baseball. Your statement is confusing, to say the least. Your incorrect belief that stats can't be based on trends and previous results is just that, incorrect. We lost nobody outside of Warren and added Chapman. Baring something like an injury or total, inexplicable collapse by 2/3 guys, the Yankees have the best bullpen

Like only Yankees fans predict accurate things about stats from last year. I guess all fans who make predictions are hard to tolerate because the future is unknown

I would never say anything of my teams are the best at anything, other than sucking. It's just not an attitude I have liking the teams I like. I guess rooting for a team that is always playing for championship you can afford the luxury of that thought process. I can't afford to do that emotionally. More power to ya but it's not endearing and is the cause of the vitriol so many Yankee fans experience.

I couldn't disagree more, if the bolded were the case they wouldn't be paying him what they do. Stern is SiriusXM. But that's neither here nor there in regard to his relevance in the world of news and pop culture.

I've had satellite radio for 5 years and couldn't tell ya where to find him.

He's only relevant in your life if you want him to be. I listen to talk radio 10 hours a day and I've never given thought to tuning in.

I've had satellite radio for 5 years and couldn't tell ya where to find him.

He's only relevant in your life if you want him to be. I listen to talk radio 10 hours a day and I've never given thought to tuning in.

That's all fine and good, I wasn't referring to individual tastes and preferences.  If he wasn't relevant he wouldn't be getting paid hundreds of millions of dollars to have an endless parade of high profile celebrities into his studio to be interviewed. Simple as that. 

Honestly ink, that luxury has nothing to do with it. That is definitely a luxury, I won't deny it. I'm not gonna say we're the best lineup, or starting pitching. If the Sabres or Bills had the best of something, I'd say that to.

If I said the Sabres had the best power play in the league they are going 0 for the next 500 power plays. It's how my life works. I won't make predictions as it has always back fired in my previous life.

I couldn't disagree more, if the bolded were the case they wouldn't be paying him what they do. Stern is SiriusXM.  But that's neither here nor there in regard to his relevance in the world of news and pop culture.

Just looked it up, it's 12 percent. Sirius is bigger than just Stern now. So is pop culture. Thank God.

Just looked it up, it's 12 percent. Sirius is bigger than just Stern now. So is pop culture. Thank God.

You don't like the guy I get it, and again that's not the issue. Relevance =/= people you like. I see the Variety article you're referring to, and sampling issues aside, if much of the data in that article were real then SiriusXM execs must be complete morons for backing up the Brinks truck to keep Stern under contract for another 5 years.  Still even if the data is to be believed with 12% of 30 million subscribers listening it puts Stern in the same neighborhood as Fallon/Colbert/Kimmel of ears:eyeballs.  In other words quite relevant. 

I've heard in recent years that Stern has gotten away from the shtick that made him famous and is almost somewhat serious, and to the disappointment of many of his longtime listeners.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/is-howard-stern-going-soft-or-just-getting-sharper/2015/12/13/691d8cfe-9ddc-11e5-a3c5-c77f2cc5a43c_story.html

I'm not listening, but I wonder who is these days?

I've heard in recent years that Stern has gotten away from the shtick that made him famous and is almost somewhat serious, and to the disappointment of many of his longtime listeners.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/is-howard-stern-going-soft-or-just-getting-sharper/2015/12/13/691d8cfe-9ddc-11e5-a3c5-c77f2cc5a43c_story.html

I'm not listening, but I wonder who is these days?

That is a great article and captures exactly what Stern has evolved into, the best interviewer there is bar none.  So some longtime fans are pissed that he doesn't have strippers on the show or refer to the mentally disabled as "retards" anymore. Whatever.  I've been listening since the early 90's and the show is better than ever IMO.

His show has become one of the most high-profile platforms for celebrities who want to promote their albums or sell their books, and the price Stern charges is candor. He nabs A-listers who wouldn’t have ventured within 100 feet of his studio during the days of Jessica Hahn and Lesbian Dial-a-Date.

“When you go on ‘Stern,’ you get the best insight into who the person is of any medium other than maybe the New Yorker,” says Bob Lefsetz, a music industry critic who writes the popular Lefsetz Letter.

Publicists urge their celebrity clients to hit “The Howard Stern Show” if they want to make an impact, and tidbits from those interviews spill onto gossip pages across the country. When Stern interviewed the elusive actor Bill Murray last year, producer and screenwriter Judd Apatow tweeted that it was “the Bill Murray we all have waited our entire lives for.”

As far as who's listening these days?  The same as it always was....... fans and haters alike.

Stern sometimes sounds exasperated by his critics, but he has made a profession out of being fed up, and it’s hard to tell whether he really cares. His “America’s Got Talent” stint supposedly made him a sellout, he has complained on his show. “Or if I have a reasonable conversation with the guest, I’m a sellout. Or if I don’t do some bit I did 20 years ago, I’m a sellout. I’m like, ‘Okay, I’m a sellout: Why are you still listening?’ ”

That’s one of Stern’s triumphs — that the people who love him are listening — and that the people who hate him are listening. “You know that if we’re talking about it,” says his old sidekick Martling, “he’s doing the right thing.”

I've got SiriusXM and I've never once listened to him.  That's soooo NOT what I have SiriusXM for.

So we're going to continue with the anecdotal personal preferences as evidence I guess then.  If Stern leaves then I cancel my subscription that day as I honestly listen to nothing but Howard 100/101 on SiriusXM.  So what?  The big money contract that he just re-upped for the third time tells the tale in terms of what Stern means to that company, otherwise they would have cut bait quicker than you can say Matt Moulson.

So we're going to continue with the anecdotal personal preferences as evidence I guess then.  If Stern leaves then I cancel my subscription that day as I honestly listen to nothing but Howard 100/101 on SiriusXM.  So what?  The big money contract that he just re-upped for the third time tells the tale in terms of what Stern means to that company, otherwise they would have cut bait quicker than you can say Matt Moulson.

Sorry to make you defend your affinity for Stern. :lol: I'm glad he's evolved. I would think that some of his fans who are still yelling Baba Booey at golf events need to, as well.

For the record, I don't watch Fallon/Colbert/Kimmel either.

Sorry to make you defend your affinity for Stern. :lol: I'm glad he's evolved. I would think that some of his fans who are still yelling Baba Booey at golf events need to, as well.

For the record, I don't watch Fallon/Colbert/Kimmel either.

Golf can use the baba Booeys and other shout outs as long as it doesn't interfere with play. That stuffy atmosphere can use more Happy Gilmore IMO.

And once again my original point wasn't about individual preferences, I fully realize how polarizing Stern is. The contention was made that he's somehow irrelevant, which the article that d4rk linked very nicely disproved better than I can.

Dufner summed it up best. People trying to get attention. Count me against those types of people.

Yep. People who yell baba booey are same people who turn and wave to the camera while on their phones at hockey games.

Dufner summed it up best. People trying to get attention. Count me against those types of people.

Of course they are trying to get attention,such as it is. He also says it doesn't bother him at all.

I'm more annoyed by actual athletes who are me, me, me..than I am by some tool shouting out harmless stuff to get his voice on TV.