The other sports thread

Eleven

I think I jinxed Orange basketball, although I'm sure I'm not alone.  I thought they were going to be a big surprise this year after winning the Battle for Atlantis tournament.  St. Johns smoked them yesterday and the Orange are looking really bad without Boeheim behind the bench.  We'll see how they look when he gets back and conference play starts, but I'm no longer expecting much.  Thank god this is the last year of Trevor Cooney.  What a four year disappointment he's been for such a "sharpshooter".

If Rose is banned, than so should everyone who ever took steroids. The reason Rose is banned, from what I've heard, is it directly affects the integrity of the league; one of the guys said he would have been better off murdering someone than betting on the games. Steroids do the same thing, but nobody is screaming for Bonds to have a lifetime ban. At least Rose's records are actually legitimate 

If Rose is banned, than so should everyone who ever took steroids. The reason Rose is banned, from what I've heard, is it directly affects the integrity of the league; one of the guys said he would have been better off murdering someone than betting on the games. Steroids do the same thing, but nobody is screaming for Bonds to have a lifetime ban. At least Rose's records are actually legitimate 

And as a matter of fact, our old friend Barry was recently named Marlins hitting coach.  Thanks Mattingly for bringing him back to MLB.  I'll be curious to see if Bonds' body looks different post-retirement.

And as a matter of fact, our old friend Barry was recently named Marlins hitting coach. Thanks Mattingly for bringing him back to MLB. I'll be curious to see if Bonds' body looks different post-retirement.

And I say good for him! I miss roids in baseball. WildCard is a bit too young to remember just how truly awesome the steroid Era was to watch.

Meanwhile all the players in the 70s and 80s were blowing coke and taking amphetamines.

Pitchers were doing the same thing the hitters were doing. Does that not make the playing field level?

Back in the day of Ruth and Cobb there were no black or Latino players. The numbers are skewed in every Era of baseball for one reason or another. I disagree with people being banned from baseball on this premise.

And I say good for him! I miss roids in baseball. WildCard is a bit too young to remember just how truly awesome the steroid Era was to watch.

Meanwhile all the players in the 70s and 80s were blowing coke and taking amphetamines.

Pitchers were doing the same thing the hitters were doing. Does that not make the playing field level?

Back in the day of Ruth and Cobb there were no black or Latino players. The numbers are skewed in every Era of baseball for one reason or another. I disagree with people being banned from baseball on this premise.

I'm always amazed when people say that we know such and such player was clean.  Not a single one of them deserves the benefit of doubt on that one.

Yep, tons of players were doing all kinds of stuff. I remember reading an article about some pitcher for Pittsburgh (I think) in the 70's who pitched a no-hitter while tripping on acid or peyote or something like that. I never get the purist argument no matter what the sport is. "The game" was never pure in any sport for any era.

Yep, tons of players were doing all kinds of stuff. I remember reading an article about some pitcher for Pittsburgh (I think) in the 70's who pitched a no-hitter while tripping on acid or peyote or something like that. I never get the purist argument no matter what the sport is. "The game" was never pure in any sport for any era.

That would be Dock Ellis. It's funny, because people think he only did that once. That dude pitched high every single game. His quote was my sig for awhile, something like "People knew I was high, but the only question was, how high was I?" 

There was also a Reds player that started the WS in the OF high as balls too. And Mantle played half his damn career drunk in CF

I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point, but I've never understood the comparison between performance enhancers and performance, err, suppressors? 

I would say Ruth and Cobb didn't make the choice themselves who they faced, whereas those who took roids did. And not every pitcher was on it, and not every hitter took them. That'd be like Ruth facing Pedro while Cobb doesn't 

Edited by WildCard

I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point, but I've never understood the comparison between performance enhancers and performance, err, suppressors? 

Yeah, I don't think anyone is gonna claim tripping acid to be a performance enhancer.

Worked for Ellis, though.   :blink:

I would say Ruth and Cobb didn't make the choice themselves who they faced, whereas those who took roids did. And not every pitcher was on it, and not every hitter took them. That'd be like Ruth facing Pedro while Cobb faces doesn't

True, but by making the choice themselves or having the choice made for them by the country they lived in, the balance was still skewed. And! The pitchers Ruth and Cobb faced only threw heat! That's ridiculous. Seriously, almost all of the pitches they got were fastballs. I remember reading an article about Pete Rose and his hitting streak of 40 some odd games coming to an end. Pete was livid and called out the pitcher for only throwing him junk all game and bit giving him a single heater.

Anyways, I'm off on a tangent now and I forgot where I was going with this.

Put em all in the hall! It's my favorite Museum on earth! It's my church, and they deserve to be in there!

Serena Williams is SI's sportsperson of the year.  Well deserved, although cases could have been made for Curry, Speith, and that Serbian tennis player whose name I can't spell and won't look up.

Serena had me watching tennis far, far later into the summer than is normal for me.

We'll have to agree to disagree about how awesome the steroid era was in baseball. Baseball wasn't better because "everyone" was juicing.  I also don't think the playing field was level because not "everyone" was doing it.  It did give us real life people who looked like cartoon characters though.  You may have a bit of rose-colored glasses in looking at that era because the Yankees did very well during that time frame.

It equates to Lance Armstrong and cycling for me.  Yeah cycling was more popular, but it wasn't real and ended up crashing back to earth when the scandal was uncovered.  I think more damage than good was done to baseball and cycling in the end.

Serena Williams is SI's sportsperson of the year.  Well deserved, although cases could have been made for Curry, Speith, and that Serbian tennis player whose name I can't spell and won't look up.

Serena had me watching tennis far, far later into the summer than is normal for me.

I'm glad she won it, but I loved how the cover and the "photo shoot" was basically presenting her as a model.  Just like all the men who have won the award  <_< I'm not trying to be an ultra-feminist here, but she should have been presented as more of an athlete and less of a model imo. 

I think I would have gone for Speith, simply because his game is much higher profile.  I know she brought on a big spike, but I still don't think tennis is even remotely on the radar of the viewing audience.  That does lead to a much more interesting question though.  Does the level of the sport factor into these decisions?

We'll have to agree to disagree about how awesome the steroid era was in baseball. Baseball wasn't better because "everyone" was juicing.  I also don't think the playing field was level because not "everyone" was doing it.  It did give us real life people who looked like cartoon characters though.  You may have a bit of rose-colored glasses in looking at that era because the Yankees did very well during that time frame.

It equates to Lance Armstrong and cycling for me.  Yeah cycling was more popular, but it wasn't real and ended up crashing back to earth when the scandal was uncovered.  I think more damage than good was done to baseball and cycling in the end.

I'm glad she won it, but I loved how the cover and the "photo shoot" was basically presenting her as a model.  Just like all the men who have won the award  <_< I'm not trying to be an ultra-feminist here, but she should have been presented as more of an athlete and less of a model imo. 

She may have wanted to present her more feminine side, since so many idiots make jokes about her being a man.

I think I would have gone for Speith, simply because his game is much higher profile.  I know she brought on a big spike, but I still don't think tennis is even remotely on the radar of the viewing audience.  That does lead to a much more interesting question though.  Does the level of the sport factor into these decisions?

And golf is on the radar?!

She may have wanted to present her more feminine side, since so many idiots make jokes about her being a man.

And golf is on the radar?!

Could be.  She's done a lot of modeling and seems to be able to do it well enough, so I don't hear that opinion of her too much anymore.  She won the award for tennis, not modeling is my main point along with the cover and "photo shoot" were quite different than a winner who is a man.  She must have approved it though, so maybe a poor choice by multiple parties?  The pictures I've seen did not say "Sportsperson of the Year" to me, which should have been the sole point.