Sabres Trade busted up Roy for Ott and Pardy

26CornerBlitz

For the second part, is tough to tell right now, but if Grigs is on the team, I see him starting at C. If not, he's practicing that position elsewhere.

Agreed. I don't think they are going to waste time with Grigs; he's on the fast track to being a NHL center, none of this wing business for him.

You think they'd do Dubinsky for Brennan and a #1? I'd do that in a second. That feels really light in our favor.

Not with the three-way you have set up. Anyway, thread getting derailed...

Here's to Steve Ott. May you annoy LaViolette a million more times.

It depends, we know Lindy's demand for defensive zone play - If he can't defend out of the box they won't have him. See also - Luke Adam.

You forgot to read the "If not, he's practicing that position elsewhere" part of Eleven's post.

For the second part, is tough to tell right now, but if Grigs is on the team, I see him starting at C. If not, he's practicing that position elsewhere.

Assuming no other moves are made, which line do you see him centering?

He shouldn't center the 3rd line and I wouldn't have an 18 year old (unless his last name is Gretzky or Lemieux) centering the 1st line. That leaves either breaking up the Ennis line or having him on the 4th line. Playing 4th line minutes, even w/ getting a regular shift on the pp seems like a waste.

If more bodies are moved, I could see him centering a 2nd line (that gets 3rd line minutes), but wouldn't do that on a regular basis until he's got at least 20 games under his belt.

He shouldn't center the 3rd line and I wouldn't have an 18 year old (unless his last name is Gretzky or Lemieux) centering the 1st line. That leaves either breaking up the Ennis line or having him on the 4th line. Playing 4th line minutes, even w/ getting a regular shift on the pp seems like a waste.

If more bodies are moved, I could see him centering a 2nd line (that gets 3rd line minutes), but wouldn't do that on a regular basis until he's got at least 20 games under his belt.

This is one of the big reasons why I question the idea that Grigs is a Sabre next year. Where do you put an 18-year-old center? But I don't see him on the wing. I really don't.

Let's see him at dev camp in July and then think about it some more.

This is one of the big reasons why I question the idea that Grigs is a Sabre next year. Where do you put an 18-year-old center? But I don't see him on the wing. I really don't.

Let's see him at dev camp in July and then think about it some more.

I think the answer is that they do not have a 3rd line that is a "checking line." I think we'll see:

Hodson-Vanek-Ott

Ennis-Foligno-Stafford

Griggy-Pommer-Leino

McCormick-Gerbe-Kaleta/Scott

I think Pommer and Leino are both high-hockey-IQ guys and would be good linemates for a young Grigorenko.

...unless of course we have to work out a spot for Nash or someone like that.

Great trade.

Only losing about 30 points per season for the other intangibles Ott brings are well worth it imho.

Ott will open up the ice for the other guys and that will more than make up for the difference in point production Roy brought.

its not dereks fault hes a finesse guy on a team with little heart and less toughness. on a team that could allow him to do what hes best at i think hes close to a point a game player on a consistent basis

still, it wasnt working here for him and something needed to change. seems like they got less than they could have for him, but if they are going to get less than optimal value then ott is a very nice consolation prize. if ott can just get stafford to grow some balls it will have been worth it

I think the answer is that they do not have a 3rd line that is a "checking line." I think we'll see:

Hodson-Vanek-Ott

Ennis-Foligno-Stafford

Griggy-Pommer-Leino

I think Pommer and Leino are both high-hockey-IQ guys and would be good linemates for a young Grigorenko.

Those lines would have some potential. And it would give a reason for Regier being adament (haven't listened to his PC, going off what's been written at this site) that Ott will be a LW this season.

If Derek Roy is one of your top six forwards, you probably aren't winning anything. Or were the last five years not enough evidence of that?

Sabres are a much different team with Ott in the lineup instead of Roy. 200+ hits each of the last three years and absolutely fearless. If you look at what Foligno did to bring Stafford and Ennis back to life last year, you can imagine how useful Ott could be on a line with Vanek and Hodgson.

In fairness, I think the last five years simply proved if Derek Roy is your #1 center you aren't winning anything. I think he will be a very good #2 playing behind Benn.

As to the 5000 people posting about Grigorenko, I think right now we're set up to run 3 scoring lines with Grigs getting sheltered minutes...but we're missing a RW for that to work well. I think if the Sabres add a more prototypical 3rd line center then you'll see Grigs on the wing, and if they add a scoring RW he'll be in the middle.

Edit: The lines that freeman posted could actually work if no other moves are made. I think another move is being made though.

Those lines would have some potential. And it would give a reason for Regier being adament (haven't listened to his PC, going off what's been written at this site) that Ott will be a LW this season.

DR wasn't adamant. He said he thought Ott would probably play wing but he deferred to Lindy. However, in his interview, Ott said that he generally plays wing but has a knack for faceoffs and so basically skates as a winger but takes most of the faceoffs (in all situations, including PK and PP) when he's on the ice.

So it sounds like he's a winger, albeit one who can, say, win a bunch of offensive zone faceoffs and get the puck to Hodson for a nifty pass to an open Vanek.

As to the 5000 people posting about Grigorenko, I think right now we're set up to run 3 scoring lines with Grigs getting sheltered minutes...but we're missing a RW for that to work well. I think if the Sabres add a more prototypical 3rd line center then you'll see Grigs on the wing, and if they add a scoring RW he'll be in the middle.

Edit: The lines that freeman posted could actually work if no other moves are made. I think another move is being made though.

I hope you're right about another big move. There sure seem to be some indicators from DR -- not just the rumormongers. If not, though, Vanek shoots right and has played quite a bit of RW. I think he, Hodson and Ott can live a long and happy life together.

I bet if Grigs doesn't crack at least the third line as center, he goes to Rochester for the season. They would be wasting him and not helping his development putting him on the 4th line or on a wing.

I bet if Grigs doesn't crack at least the third line as center, he goes to Rochester for the season. They would be wasting him and not helping his development putting him on the 4th line or on a wing.

It's the Sabres or the Q for him, can't go to Rochester this year. I think playing on the wing could be beneficial for him given how much Ruff wants his centers to have a two-way game--defense on the wing is significantly easier than in the middle. And coming from the Q I'm not sure he knows what the word "defense" even means yet.

He cant go to rochester we've covered this. He is too young to play in the ahl its juniors or sabres

Hodson-Vanek-Ott

Ennis-Foligno-Stafford

Griggy-Pommer-Leino

These lines "feel" the best of any that I have seen listed so far. I like that you've listed the centers first. Since there has been some antsy pantsy about whether Ott could play center, and one explanation is that he could take draws, yet play wing, I wonder if McCormick could take draws, but play wing, leaving Gerbe to benefit from the open ice in the middle, much like Ennis does? Is Gerbe the skater, stickhandler that Ennis is?

Don't forget the K. That is a possibility, too, rather unfortunately.

That's part of the reason I'm fairly certain he'll be given every chance to make the roster, and why I expect him to do so. I don't think the risk is particularly large, but it's there, and we can't afford to lose him (even if he ends up busting in spectacular fashion, I still think it's important to hold on to him).

These lines "feel" the best of any that I have seen listed so far. I like that you've listed the centers first. Since there has been some antsy pantsy about whether Ott could play center, and one explanation is that he could take draws, yet play wing, I wonder if McCormick could take draws, but play wing, leaving Gerbe to benefit from the open ice in the middle, much like Ennis does? Is Gerbe the skater, stickhandler that Ennis is?

I appreciate you weighing in on a long-simmering dispute I've had with carp over this very nuanced point.

I believe that it's the center's line, so he should be named first.

I don't believe Carp has any kind of intellectual justification other than slavish devotion to the symmetry of left-center-right.

Even on the glorious day when we ship out the head of the SGMs, you can see I'm still bittter about the taxonomy some are inflicting on this board.

I dont like Roy either but this is terrible, we lost in this trade, why are you all so happy?

are you joking ? what planet are you on? the Sabres have desperately needed to change their soft identity and EVERYONE in the NHL knows it. We have become "the team that was easy to play against". I don't care if we are giving up Roy's points, getting Ott is a step in that change of identity

Archived