Concerts you plan to attend this year

Weave

On 8/15/2024 at 7:42 AM, That Aud Smell said:

I had not been planning this - frankly forgot about it entirely - but I bought the tickets long ago as a gift. So I'm off to Chautauqua with my better half to see Melissa Ethridge and the Indigo Girls. Tomorrow, Friday.

Listen, I have big respect for all of the artists who will perform. And I enjoy several songs from each artist's/duo's canon.

But ... it's gonna be Chautauqua. And it's gonna be Ethridge and Indigo Girls. I am anticipating a very specific vibe. Not sure how it's gonna feel, exactly. Whatever the vibe is that a crowd of lesbian senior citizens generates, I guess?

Lol. I reckon it'll be fun.

What is wrong with Chautauqua?  Beautiful place, excellent venue, and people are people.  

On 8/15/2024 at 8:25 AM, Weave said:

It will be senior for sure.

We had a place there for awhile.  I miss it greatly , but we were not like everyone else, lol.

I am curious how it has changed as a result of the attack on Rushdie a few years ago.

Wasn't  the attack on Rushdie at Chautauqua coincidental to Chautauqua?  

On 8/15/2024 at 8:55 AM, That Aud Smell said:

It is beautiful. But, yes - the ... hegemony that's developed is too much. (As it happens, I'm probably in agreement with most of the consensus of thought(s) there -- but I just can't effing stand a hegemony of any kind.)

Cripes, the Rushdie attack. How awful. I was at another concert in the weeks/months that followed that incident. I don't recall picking up on significant changes.

Hegemony?  Why do you bring this up.  This is a concert, not a world war?  

I am lost with this post.  

On 8/16/2024 at 10:14 PM, That Aud Smell said:

Report from Chautauqua:

Indigo Girls went first and played a charming coffee house set.

Then Melissa Etheridge came out and blew our f**king faces off.

Holy sh1t. I was unprepared. Great show.

Were you unprepared because because you were concerned about socio-political things instead of preparing to hear good music?   

49 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The crowd was very typical CHQ, imo. There were a significant number of Tuiters (sp?) who were there because they have there because they have tickets to certain/all ticketed events — e.g., the boomers in front of us wersignificant number of Tuiters (sp?) e playing solitaire and candy crush throughout Indigo Girls, were more attentive to Etheridge’s set, but left halfway through it.

@That Aud Smell,  Poor grammar aside, this reads like another language.  So much labeling and stereotyping.  Not at all what art/music is supposed to be about.  This is concert thread.  Who are you going to see and how was the show - Why can't it be that simple?  

Edited by Pimlach

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

The crowd was very typical CHQ, imo. There were a significant number of Tuiters (sp?) who were there because they have tickets to certain/all ticketed events — e.g., the boomers in front of us were playing solitaire and candy crush throughout Indigo Girls, were more attentive to Etheridge’s set, but left halfway through it.

Yeah, thats about what I’d expect.

47 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I keep thinking about this. Sorry to spam the thread a bit. I have some talkin’ to do.

The short answer seems to be: Security has not changed in the least.

There was a blackout drunk “fan” in the front row (the floor’s all reserved seating now - so this lady had gone to trouble and expense to get her front row ticket). She was about 5’3” and easily weighed 2 bills. Sporting Guy Fieri hair (did she have a red visor?) and wearing blackout bass fishing sunglasses (in the amp).

At one point during the Indigo Girls set, I realized Gal Fieri was standing at the very edge of the stage, and had been for a minute or so. The protocol appears to be for the ~7’ gangway between front row and stage’s edge to be kept clear. For further context, the stage at the amp is only very modestly raised from ground level — an athletic person (not me, not Gal) could easily vault up onto the stage with a small running start.

After standing at the stage’s edge for a while, Gal got a high five from Amy (?) and sauntered back to her front row pew, exulting and seeking other high fives. She got a talking to from security, who were late to realize what had happened. (Wtf?!) Gal’s behavior deteriorated from there and she eventually got the bum’s rush from ~5 burly guards (she put up quite a fight). Indigo Girl Amy seemed like she might try to intercede at one point, but the situation was too far gone. Oddly, the guards’ only path to ejecting Gal was to move her *up the stairs* to the top of the amp. Tough sledding.

Making things even stranger: When both acts came to a closing peak in their sets — playing well known bangers — a crowd of ~150-200 rushed the stage and stood right at its edge.

So … sorry, Gal. Your timing was just off?

Anyway. I can’t get over how nothing seems to have changed at the CHQ AMP after the attack on Rushdie.

One question: Were there security detectors present when Rushdie spoke? I assume there must have been. There certainly were for this concert. It’s the only thing I can think of to excuse what appears to be a total absence of “lessons learned” changes from CHQ.

This is disappointing.

When Rushdie was attacked I said somewhere on this site that it made me sad in part because the innocence at Chautauqua is gone, and the expected changes would harm the vibe of the place.

But they really needed to make changes to match the changes in society around us.  I’m disappointed and surprised that they’ll roll the dice and expect a bad incident won’t repeat.  Seems……. Negligent?  Maybe?

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

What is wrong with Chautauqua?  Beautiful place, excellent venue, and people are people.  

Absolutely nothing wrong with it. It’s delightful. Beautiful. Quirky.

57 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Wasn't  the attack on Rushdie at Chautauqua coincidental to Chautauqua?  

Huh?

59 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Hegemony?  Why do you bring this up.  This is a concert, not a world war?  

It’s a bit of a metaphor, as applied here. I apologize if this is causing offence. There is absolutely a sort of … doctrine and dogma associated with what I will call the Chautauqua way. 

And that’s largely to the greater good.

Largely. Not entirely.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Were you unprepared because because you were concerned about socio-political things instead of preparing to hear good music?   

Unprepared in the best possible way. I was (am) an Etheridge casual. I never gave her music much thought. Then she performed live and blew my effing face off. Incredible.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

@That Aud Smell,  Poor grammar aside, this reads like another language.  So much labeling and stereotyping.  Not at all what art/music is supposed to be about.  This is concert thread.  Who are you going to see and how was the show - Why can't it be that simple?  

Sorry to cause offence or upset. I was indulging in some tangents on Chautauqua Institution, generally. Fascinating place. Absolutely fascinating.

Also, sorry for the typos. I should have reviewed that before posting.

Edit: Your quote of my post seems to read as more garbled than my original post? Anyway, the olds acting like screen agers were very amusing to me.

Edited by That Aud Smell

48 minutes ago, Weave said:

Yeah, thats about what I’d expect.

It was better than the Avett Brothers show I saw there in … 2022? The parade of motorized scooters - operated by persons with sour, disapproving faces -  that left the venue when the band launched into their first foot stomper was a bit of a vibe dampener.

Avett Brothers this Friday in Cleveland Town.

An Avett show is quite like "going to church." I mean that in the proverbial way - not in a mundane way. Their shows (can) make you feel better about yourself, the world, and such. It's little wonder that their grandfather was a Methodist minister.

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Happy Birthday to me!  My wife got us tickets to see ELO in October.  I had a chance to see them in the 1970s but didn't go; I've regretted that.  So I finally get to see them.

image.thumb.png.688dcedfe79c5ec85ddccc2c42b14979.png

That’s awesome!

• Awesome! (+1) 1