Concerts you plan to attend this year

Weave

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

I went to Celine Dion for the same reason.

She's also an excellent singer.  Just not my style.  This gives some perspective on her singing technique.

And is also a poignant story of loss in her life.

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Going to see Donny Osmond this Friday.  That's how much I love my wife.

I have no experience with Donny Osmund, but I once saw Marie Osmund marshall the Cherry Blossom Parade in Washington, DC. The crowd loved her and she looked great. 

27 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I have no experience with Donny Osmund, but I once saw Marie Osmund marshall the Cherry Blossom Parade in Washington, DC. The crowd loved her and she looked great. 

We went to a Christmas concert with Marie and the Statler Brothers (I think?  One of those harmonizing groups) back in the 1990s.  We were on the last row of the bowl seating closest to the floor.  There were risers between our seats and the floor seats, and she walked around on the risers while she was singing.  As she got up to us, the heal of her shoe found a gap in the risers and she went down hard right in front of me.  Feet in the air and everything.  BTW she was wearing polka dot underwear under her skirt.  Her mic went flying; I picked it up and handed it back to her.  She had a terrible look of pain on her face but put a show biz smile on and finished the song.  After that though they rearranged the play list and she didn't sing anymore.

9 hours ago, Weave said:

Just got home.

I was cursed somewhere along the way.

Getting it out of the way….. the 4 bands were terrific.  Keb Mo was worth the price of admission all by himself.  And Slash?  If anyone can turn a blues set heavy and ballsy, it’s Slash.  Loud, heavy, and masterful guitar work. *chef’s kiss*

But I was cursed somewhere along the way.

Bought these tickets when the show was first announced.  My wife wanted to go with my son and I.  Not sure why.  She’s never been to a proper rock show.  She’s been to a few pop type shows.  Maybe it was bonding time with our son.  Maybe it was jealousy of the stories and smiles we always come home with.  Whatever it was, she insisted she wanted to go.  So I sprung for 3 tix.

A couple of weeks ago she announced she is not going and is going to spend the evening with our daughter in law instead. There it is, omen 1.  I offered the ticket to a buddy, who accepted.

A week ago my buddy calls and has to decline.  He had a fall and busted up his knee.  He’s out.  Another buddy couldn’t take the ticket.  I might have to eat this one. Omen 2.

Friday my son informs me he is out too.  Covid.  *****. Omen 3.

I told My wife that I am going solo and she said, nope she’s going too since hanging with DIL is out now that covid is in their house. Omen 4.

Plan was to leave our house at 1, pregame in the village for a bit, head to the venue shortly after the gate opens, and enjoy the show.  We both took Wednesday off so we could enjoy the show and not fuss over getting home.

Wife couldn’t get out of work until 3.  We rushed in to Lewiston, ate a meal, managed to cross paths with Rick Dudley, and headed for ArtPark.  Gates opened at 4:30, show starts at 5:30.  Not the leisurely afternoon off I hoped, but adapt and overcome, right?

In the gate, pick out a good spot, first band is already underway, and the skies open up for a good 15 minute downpour.  We are soaked.  I’m smiling and happy (like Swamp said, it doesn’t get any better than outdoor concerts) and the wife has a look that could freeze steel.  She is not comfortable in soaking wet clothes and not interested in finding a way to enjoy it despite the adversity.

We did manage to get to about 2/3 of the way through Slash’s set before it became obvious that staying any longer was at my own peril.

I enjoyed myself anyway, but it wasn’t what the evening could have been.  You win some, you lose some.

This brought back to mind the most memorable concert I have ever seen at Artpark.

It was a jazz super group. Herbie Hancock, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette, and Pat Metheny, all of whom I had been listening to for years on their own. I want to say the opener was Spiro Jira, but I can’t remember for sure. It might have been Gamalon.

We had lawn seats and were doing what you do on lawn seats at jazz shows in the summer, so, feelin good. There was a weather front whose line went east-west and was moving directly east-west. After an initial downpour, I think it sprinkled twice.

During the show, if you laid your head back in the grass and looked to the south, it was a crystal clear starry sky. Then, looking north to the stage, there was a raging lightening storm with the show going on at the bottom, but we stayed dry.

If that wasn’t enough, during one of the tunes, the setting sun broke through the clouds, underneath the lightening storm. If only there were iPhones in 1990…

Oh yeah, the band was pretty amazing, as well.

I know Artpark has that side stage now, but do they still hold concerts in the main building?

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I know Artpark has that side stage now, but do they still hold concerts in the main building?

They sure do. Outdoor shows on the other side of the hill are called amphitheatre shows. Shows in that original venue are mainstage theatre shows.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

This brought back to mind the most memorable concert I have ever seen at Artpark.

It was a jazz super group. Herbie Hancock, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette, and Pat Metheny, all of whom I had been listening to for years on their own. I want to say the opener was Spiro Jira, but I can’t remember for sure. It might have been Gamalon.

We had lawn seats and were doing what you do on lawn seats at jazz shows in the summer, so, feelin good. There was a weather front whose line went east-west and was moving directly east-west. After an initial downpour, I think it sprinkled twice.

During the show, if you laid your head back in the grass and looked to the south, it was a crystal clear starry sky. Then, looking north to the stage, there was a raging lightening storm with the show going on at the bottom, but we stayed dry.

If that wasn’t enough, during one of the tunes, the setting sun broke through the clouds, underneath the lightening storm. If only there were iPhones in 1990…

21 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

They sure do. Outdoor shows on the other side of the hill are called amphitheatre shows. Shows in that original venue are mainstage theatre shows.

I saw Gary Clark jr in the original, semi indoor venue just a few weeks ago.

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/30/2024 at 10:59 PM, Doohickie said:

Going to see Donny Osmond this Friday.  That's how much I love my wife.

Okay here's the thing:  Donny Osmond is a stud of a performer.  You don't have to like his music to appreciate his showmanship and his control of a room.  This concert was probably 80% women who fawned over him in their youth, and 20% their husbands.  He actually went out into the audience and took requests... one of the ladies ask him to the song he sang with his sister Marie- "Little Bit Country, Little Bit Rock and Roll"  But it's a duet.  He asked her if she knew the words and she said yes, so he let her sing Marie's part.  She was not very good, but Donny carried her and she got a great ovation from the audience for trying.  There were a lot of moments like that where he just made someone's night.  Even if you're not a big fan of his music, you can't help but enjoy a show like that.

Edited by Doohickie

On 7/31/2024 at 6:38 AM, SwampD said:

How high were you that night?  JK, outdoor shows can add a unique element that you just can’t get inside.  In addition to Artpark, SPAC, Red Rocks and the Hollywood bowl always seemed to generate a welcoming ambiance and energy, regardless of the artist.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Billy Idol is playing here in a few days.

I am tempted, but only if we can turn back time to 1976.

Before he sold his soul for a pop hit or two.

And it seems that he can't sing anymore.

Well, if his singing stinks, then probably skip it. But, for heaven's sake, let us not begrudge (musical) artists any commercial success they may have.

On 8/12/2024 at 9:58 PM, Broken Ankles said:

How high were you that night?  JK, outdoor shows can add a unique element that you just can’t get inside.  In addition to Artpark, SPAC, Red Rocks and the Hollywood bowl always seemed to generate a welcoming ambiance and energy, regardless of the artist.  

Totally agree.

… and very.

• Haha (+1) 1

I had not been planning this - frankly forgot about it entirely - but I bought the tickets long ago as a gift. So I'm off to Chautauqua with my better half to see Melissa Ethridge and the Indigo Girls. Tomorrow, Friday.

Listen, I have big respect for all of the artists who will perform. And I enjoy several songs from each artist's/duo's canon.

But ... it's gonna be Chautauqua. And it's gonna be Ethridge and Indigo Girls. I am anticipating a very specific vibe. Not sure how it's gonna feel, exactly. Whatever the vibe is that a crowd of lesbian senior citizens generates, I guess?

Lol. I reckon it'll be fun.

40 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I had not been planning this - frankly forgot about it entirely - but I bought the tickets long ago as a gift. So I'm off to Chautauqua with my better half to see Melissa Ethridge and the Indigo Girls. Tomorrow, Friday.

Listen, I have big respect for all of the artists who will perform. And I enjoy several songs from each artist's/duo's canon.

But ... it's gonna be Chautauqua. And it's gonna be Ethridge and Indigo Girls. I am anticipating a very specific vibe. Not sure how it's gonna feel, exactly. Whatever the vibe is that a crowd of lesbian senior citizens generates, I guess?

Lol. I reckon it'll be fun.

It will be senior for sure.

We had a place there for awhile.  I miss it greatly , but we were not like everyone else, lol.

I am curious how it has changed as a result of the attack on Rushdie a few years ago.

• Thanks (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Weave said:

It will be senior for sure.

We had a place there for awhile.  I miss it greatly , but we were not like everyone else, lol.

I am curious how it has changed as a result of the attack on Rushdie a few years ago.

It is beautiful. But, yes - the ... hegemony that's developed is too much. (As it happens, I'm probably in agreement with most of the consensus of thought(s) there -- but I just can't effing stand a hegemony of any kind.)

Cripes, the Rushdie attack. How awful. I was at another concert in the weeks/months that followed that incident. I don't recall picking up on significant changes.

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

It is beautiful. But, yes - the ... hegemony that's developed is too much. (As it happens, I'm probably in agreement with most of the consensus of thought(s) there -- but I just can't effing stand a hegemony of any kind.)

Cripes, the Rushdie attack. How awful. I was at another concert in the weeks/months that followed that incident. I don't recall picking up on significant changes.

The entire history of the place is based on a hegemony, so it’s not a recent development.  Nonetheless in our time there we never really picked up any negative vibe about it.  But it does tend to attract a certain type of people.  We called them “Tuit-ers”.  Nothing but good experiences there personally.  And the calmness and serenity in there is almost addictive.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Report from Chautauqua:

Indigo Girls went first and played a charming coffee house set.

Then Melissa Etheridge came out and blew our f**king faces off.

Holy sh1t. I was unprepared. Great show.

Saw her open for the Eagles 30 years ago on the Hell Freezes Over tour.  Incredible show.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Report from Chautauqua:

Indigo Girls went first and played a charming coffee house set.

Then Melissa Etheridge came out and blew our f**king faces off.

Holy sh1t. I was unprepared. Great show.

And the crowd?

I’m curious if they revamped security now.

23 hours ago, Weave said:

And the crowd?

The crowd was very typical CHQ, imo. There were a significant number of Tuiters (sp?) who were there because they have tickets to certain/all ticketed events — e.g., the boomers in front of us were playing solitaire and candy crush throughout Indigo Girls, were more attentive to Etheridge’s set, but left halfway through it.

23 hours ago, Weave said:

I’m curious if they revamped security now.

I keep thinking about this. Sorry to spam the thread a bit. I have some talkin’ to do.

The short answer seems to be: Security has not changed in the least.

There was a blackout drunk “fan” in the front row (the floor’s all reserved seating now - so this lady had gone to trouble and expense to get her front row ticket). She was about 5’3” and easily weighed 2 bills. Sporting Guy Fieri hair (did she have a red visor?) and wearing blackout bass fishing sunglasses (in the amp).

At one point during the Indigo Girls set, I realized Gal Fieri was standing at the very edge of the stage, and had been for a minute or so. The protocol appears to be for the ~7’ gangway between front row and stage’s edge to be kept clear. For further context, the stage at the amp is only very modestly raised from ground level — an athletic person (not me, not Gal) could easily vault up onto the stage with a small running start.

After standing at the stage’s edge for a while, Gal got a high five from Amy (?) and sauntered back to her front row pew, exulting and seeking other high fives. She got a talking to from security, who were late to realize what had happened. (Wtf?!) Gal’s behavior deteriorated from there and she eventually got the bum’s rush from ~5 burly guards (she put up quite a fight). Indigo Girl Amy seemed like she might try to intercede at one point, but the situation was too far gone. Oddly, the guards’ only path to ejecting Gal was to move her *up the stairs* to the top of the amp. Tough sledding.

Making things even stranger: When both acts came to a closing peak in their sets — playing well known bangers — a crowd of ~150-200 rushed the stage and stood right at its edge.

So … sorry, Gal. Your timing was just off?

Anyway. I can’t get over how nothing seems to have changed at the CHQ AMP after the attack on Rushdie.

One question: Were there security detectors present when Rushdie spoke? I assume there must have been. There certainly were for this concert. It’s the only thing I can think of to excuse what appears to be a total absence of “lessons learned” changes from CHQ.