Gragnani for Vancouver's Sulzer

spndnchz

I didn't realise this:

Gragnani starts 63.8% of his shifts in the offensive zone, the second-highest percentage in the league among defencemen that have played at least 25 games

nicked from TSN.ca. This may explain MAG's +10 rating. While it is connected to the other trade I like this move, it makes more sense for us.

Great find. So essentially MAG's numbers are a product of Lindy Ruff.

So that was pure genious. Stick him out there where he can inflate his numbers and then trade him trade deadline day... Leopold should be next in the rotation. There are enough guys pushing in Rochester that his days have to be numbered.

So that was pure genious. Stick him out there where he can inflate his numbers and then trade him trade deadline day... Leopold should be next in the rotation. There are enough guys pushing in Rochester that his days have to be numbered.

Careful. The implications that this whole thing was a brilliant scheme by Darcy and Lindy is a slippery slope. :ph34r:

While I share some of your opinion with MAG, I do think he has a better chance to excel in Vancouver. He's still young and if paired with the right guy under the right system, he may be able to improve. He was still our 9th or 10th best D-man and overall I'm very excited about this trade( the whole thing).

Why does it seem it always has to the right guy, right system? Why can't a player just excel on hard work and talent? Not picking on you, just a general question.

Why does it seem it always has to the right guy, right system? Why can't a player just excel on hard work and talent? Not picking on you, just a general question.

Vancouver got a very good player in Gragnani. He fell out of favor here...but this is really his first NHL year.

He really hasn't had the benefit of a steady partner, or regular ice time.

IIRC Alain Vineaugnt coached Gragnani in juniors on PEI. At least I think they were together.

Vancouver got a very good player in Gragnani. He fell out of favor here...but this is really his first NHL year.

He really hasn't had the benefit of a steady partner, or regular ice time.

IIRC Alain Vineaugnt coached Gragnani in juniors on PEI. At least I think they were together.

Yep, he had a good playoff for us and expectations were way too high for him.

Vancouver got a very good AHL player in Gragnani.

I fixed your thread. If he is a very good player at the NHL level, then either Ruff ruined him or he wanted to get out of Buffalo by the way of terrible play.

Yep, he had a good playoff for us and expectations were way too high for him.

If by expectations you mean being an NHL regular, you would be correct! ;)

I fixed your thread. If he is a very good player at the NHL level, then either Ruff ruined him or he wanted to get out of Buffalo by the way of terrible play.

Ruined him? He's an NHL player, but just inconsistent. He'll be in the league a long time. Put him on a PP with the Sedins and he'll carve a defense up.

Ruined him? He's an NHL player, but just inconsistent. He'll be in the league a long time. Put him on a PP with the Sedins and he'll carve a defense up.

This might be a bit generous. I could see him sticking in the NHL for a while but I could also see him washing out. Certainly I agree that he could move it around very nicely on the Vancouver PP. But he doesn't really carry it up ice well or have much of a slapper. And although I can see him improving defensively and at least becoming positionally sound, he's not there yet.

I think Gragnani will have a good career for the Canucks. He'll start slow because getting time on their PP will not be easy; but at some point, probably through injury, he'll get his share of minutes and the points will come.

Well, I do like seltzer. So he's already appealing to me.

I would have preferred that they picked up Tonic instead.

I'm happy for both the kids to get a chance to go out there.

I think Nashville is pretty much Buffalo of the west. I don't think Gaustad will make an impact.

In charity money never goes to those who need it, always someone with sticky fingers handling it. :(

These guys are pretty good, http://childsplaycharity.org/. The first few years it was run the guys at penny-arcade.com as part of their website and all the money went out to the charity. It's gotten too big for that in recent years, I guess, since they say that about 5% now covers costs (shipping stuff and whatnot).

In this particular case, there's more offensive talent in Vancouver and I think that takes a little pressure off of MAG. They actually have a forecheck and don't often rely on one D-man back/they don't get caught short-handed as often.

In general, most coaches have different gameplans, schemes, coaching approaches, talent, etc...

MAG's style of play suites his overall surroundings on a team built like Vancouver, and IMHO, not as much here in Buffalo. As has been pointed out, the expectations put on him at such a young age on a team like ours was too much. We pinch more often and deeper than most teams, and while offensively he had upside, he just wasn't defensively sound enough to be playing on our team. Again, just my humble observations from my couch...

Not sure if it was reported here or not - but someone on Gr was quoting Hamilton as saying that he has never seen an NHL player so afraid of contact as Grags. Consensus The very vocal minority around here seems to be that we coach people to play like him, yet we just traded him away. I'm confused.

"X" you are one of the posters I usually defer to but I disagree entirely with this. I think he is borderline at best. He may try to become a "poor man's"

Marc Andre Bergeron but I don't think he's got the mental make up to pull it off.

I don't think this is a separate trade from the Kassian/Hodgson one. Hodgson's value as a young center exceeds Kassian, so MAG for this guy evens out.

Yep.

It looks to me like that was a throw in to even up the value on the Kassian for Hodgson. He's a career AHL'er who is no longer in prospect phase. Looks like it was a 'throw me an expiring contract' type move in the scheme of things.

He spent most of the year with the big club as the 7th on our depth chart.

He's filled in as a 6th D man when we have injuries, not flashy but reasonably responsible stay-at-home D man.

Has anyone seen the Van/Buf ice chips video on tsn?

Quote from Grags "I wanna play good for vancouver, i don't wanna play good to prove buffalo, you know...anything. Buffalo is in the past"

Doesn't seem he liked it in Buffalo, too bad he didn't learn to speak English properly whilst he was here :(

I'm happy for both the kids to get a chance to go out there.

I think Nashville is pretty much Buffalo of the west. I don't think Gaustad will make an impact.

Nice comparison, though I will say not even Regier would try to sign Suter, Weber and Rinne in one season.

Vancouver got a very good player in Gragnani. He fell out of favor here...but this is really his first NHL year. He really hasn't had the benefit of a steady partner, or regular ice time.

I can see Vancouver folks saying precisely the same thing about Hodgson.

Has anyone seen the Van/Buf ice chips video on tsn?

Quote from Grags "I wanna play good for vancouver, i don't wanna play good to prove buffalo, you know...anything. Buffalo is in the past"

Doesn't seem he liked it in Buffalo, too bad he didn't learn to speak English properly whilst he was here :(

No and he was really getting chippy after the whistle, I think he wasnt well liked or didnt like a good chunk of the roster here.

Archived