Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Long timers here may remember that about 5 years ago (holy crap, I've been on here a long time) I had a shingles outbreak in my right eye.  In.  My eye.  Left me with scarring on the lens of my right eye.,  the halos you describe are an everyday thing for me.  I hate night driving now.  Every light source has a prism halo around it.

I pay a lot of money to get my eyes to do that.

:ph34r:

Long timers here may remember that about 5 years ago (holy crap, I've been on here a long time) I had a shingles outbreak in my right eye.  In.  My eye.  Left me with scarring on the lens of my right eye.,  the halos you describe are an everyday thing for me.  I hate night driving now.  Every light source has a prism halo around it.

I've had shingles. So sorry you got shingles let alone in your eye! I consider myself extremely lucky now hearing your story. 

Every man should have a pocket knife with them when they leave the house.

I used to carry a Swiss Army knife with me at all times (and it came in handy very often).  However, the campus where I work does not allow weapons (and they consider anything with a blade a weapon), so I had to stop carrying it. Must've been that dangerous corkscrew....  :rolleyes:

How severe is too severe?

Good for you, it's gotta be nice to see again.

You know, I'm not totally sure. I was a -7.5 in the left and astigmatism both eyes and that was borderline too rough- but I think it's more based on how much material you have in your cornea for them to work with. My coworker is a -9 and -7 and would probably have to get the ASA instead of full Lasik. 

I used to carry a Swiss Army knife with me at all times (and it came in handy very often).  However, the campus where I work does not allow weapons (and they consider anything with a blade a weapon), so I had to stop carrying it. Must've been that dangerous corkscrew....  :rolleyes:

I carry a knife and then always forget to use it. Just end up using my nails instead. Oops.

Those little reinforced plastic cat or dog shaped "brass knuckles" can get you in trouble in airports though. I've never had a problem with it, but my cousin had hers taken from her. 

Maybe I'm just weird but I don't think I've come across many situations where a pocket knife would have come in much handy. I've got scissors in my desk at work and I've got a small toolbox in my trunk next to my jumper cables that has a utility knife in there along with various screwdrivers and a socket wrench set but that's about it and they hardly get used as it is.

At daybreak today, Mars, Jupiter, Venus and Regulus lined up on almost a perfect semicircle in the eastern sky. Then on the way back from Erie later in the morning on I-86, I saw a bald eagle sitting on the trunk of a dead tree just a few yards off the highway. Incredible sights. What a great fall day.

Edited by pASabreFan

Maybe I'm just weird but I don't think I've come across many situations where a pocket knife would have come in much handy. I've got scissors in my desk at work and I've got a small toolbox in my trunk next to my jumper cables that has a utility knife in there along with various screwdrivers and a socket wrench set but that's about it and they hardly get used as it is.

I'm kind of with you. At home, I have a box of tools (I have a lock-open box cutter that I use a ton, FWIW), and otherwise don't need a knife all that often. I have a Leatherman in my backpack that's with me at work and most travel, but I can count on one hand how many times I've used it in the last year. I used to carry pocket knifes more often and all it did was substitute using a crappy screwdriver on the knife instead of going and getting a proper tool. :)

You know, I'm not totally sure. I was a -7.5 in the left and astigmatism both eyes and that was borderline too rough- but I think it's more based on how much material you have in your cornea for them to work with. My coworker is a -9 and -7 and would probably have to get the ASA instead of full Lasik. 

I carry a knife and then always forget to use it. Just end up using my nails instead. Oops.

Those little reinforced plastic cat or dog shaped "brass knuckles" can get you in trouble in airports though. I've never had a problem with it, but my cousin had hers taken from her. 

Wow, I thought I was blind at -4.25. Doc says -4.25 is equivalent to roughly 20/400 vision. Thanks for the info, I haven't looked into Lasik too much, but I was under the impression it really only worked for people that weren't horribly near-sighted. But I'm sure it's come a long way since I last looked into it.

At daybreak today, Mars, Jupiter, Venus and Regulus lined up on almost a perfect semicircle in the eastern sky. Then on the way back from Erie later in the morning on I-86, I saw a bald eagle sitting on the trunk of a dead tree just a few yards off the highway. Incredible sights. What a great fall day.

Was a white buffalo born today?

I used to carry a Swiss Army knife with me at all times (and it came in handy very often). However, the campus where I work does not allow weapons (and they consider anything with a blade a weapon), so I had to stop carrying it. Must've been that dangerous corkscrew.... :rolleyes:

James Gandolfini in True Romance agrees. That corkscrew is nasty business.

(see this movie if you haven't. It's amazing.)

Seconded.

Love that movie.

Gary Oldman as a shady pimp. It's great.

Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken, Gary Oldman, Samuel L. Jackson, James Gandolfini, Val Kilmer. Tarantino written, Tony Scott directed, how can you go wrong?

Favorite movie of all time.

I had to google PTFO cause I'm a social media stupie, and this is what I got....

Parent, Teachers and Friends Organization

Play The Fracking Objective (something to do with on line gaming?)*

Pass The Frick Out.*

*rated G version for everyone

By the use of deductive reasoning, your going to take a nap then have a wonderful visit with your Dad as a nice way to kick off the weekend. I hope you where successful and had a great weekend.

:beer:

lol in this instance (in my usage, anyhow), PTFO = Peace The F*ck Out   ;)

Lasik is awesome.

Had the surgery Thursday. I was in the room under the machines less than 10 minutes total. Was it pleasant? No. Was it horrid? No. Could I see the second I sat up? Yes. It was pretty emotional for me. My prescription was right on the edge of being too severe to have the full lasik, but luckily I was allowed to have it instead of the ASA. 

I'm sitting here today with the only drawbacks being some dryness and scary looking eyes (my propensity to bruise apparently extends to my eyeballs, so they're all bloody looking but don't hurt) with 20/15 vision for the first time in my life and I couldn't be happier. 

If anyone's considering it and wants more info, I'd be happy to share. 

BRB, out having seeing eye contests with eagles. 

Still jealous!  Someday when I have the money and I'm less of a chicken I'll do it.

After three days of driving, I made it to the new place in Denver this afternoon.  Super tired and have no furniture aside from an air mattress, but man it's great to be somewhere permanent again.  After making a grocery store run I spent my first evening here with sushi and a Sabres victory.  :)

Edited by biodork

lol in this instance (in my usage, anyhow), PTFO = Peace The F*ck Out   ;)

Still jealous!  Someday when I have the money and I'm less of a chicken I'll do it.

After three days of driving, I made it to the new place in Denver this afternoon.  Super tired and have no furniture aside from an air mattress, but man it's great to be somewhere permanent again.  After making a grocery store run I spent my first evening here with sushi and a Sabres victory.   :)

Every man should have a pocket knife with them when they leave the house.

Do you have any idea how often I go through a metal detector?  Impossible for me to even consider it.

Is that a Confederate Note?

It is.

No wonder Lincoln got shot. He didn't have a gun. 

That's brilliant.

That tune and Cemetery by the Headstones go hand in hand.  For some reason my wife loves both of those songs.  :devil:

Living within receiving distance of Canadian rock radio FTW!

The Headstones are still one of my all time favorite bands.