Stafford needs to go

Eleven

If his play on TV (puck near him, but let's not go get it) doesn't convince: Go to the arena and watch him without the puck. Just focus on 21 for a few shifts. It is astounding.

I admit I have not gone to the arena in awhile and have never watched staff only when I have. However the typical broadcast TV angle does normally give decent coverage of the ice not perfect but decent (long as they are not zooming in on the puck carrier). the winger in me is always looking at the back checkers positioning and the defenseman in me is always looking at the positioning of the attacking team. I stand by what I have said about staff. He try's to play smart as opposed to hard and he lacks decisiveness.

I admit I have not gone to the arena in awhile and have never watched staff only when I have. However the typical broadcast TV angle does normally give decent coverage of the ice not perfect but decent (long as they are not zooming in on the puck carrier). the winger in me is always looking at the back checkers positioning and the defenseman in me is always looking at the positioning of the attacking team. I stand by what I have said about staff. He try's to play smart as opposed to hard and he lacks decisiveness.

As a winger, if the puck is passed within three feet of your stick, do you (a) stretch your arm for it, (b) sit there, or © head back towards the neutral zone, since a less than perfectly placed pass is unlikely to end up in a scoring opportunity?

Stafford picks b or c, seemingly at random.

As a winger, if the puck is passed within three feet of your stick, do you (a) stretch your arm for it, (b) sit there, or © head back towards the neutral zone, since a less than perfectly placed pass is unlikely to end up in a scoring opportunity?

Stafford picks b or c, seemingly at random.

that depends if that 250 lb 11th grade defenseman is waiting to spin my helmet sideways on the blueline again...

I know the situations you are outlining with staff. I still say it is lack of decisiveness. I think he is the one player that actually upholds the myth that Ruff and his 2 way play coaching destroys players. Staff is thinking if i reach for that puck what happens if I miss.

Time will tell, but Ryane Clowe got almost $5M and David Clarkson got more than $5M (and allegedly could have gotten even more outside of Toronto). And that was with the cap artificially going down to $64MM...when Stafford signs his next deal the cap could be in the $75MM range. Stafford getting $4M is very much in the realm of possibility.

Last offseason the free agent market was empty. This offseason isn't.

that depends if that 250 lb 11th grade defenseman is waiting to spin my helmet sideways on the blueline again...

I know the situations you are outlining with staff. I still say it is lack of decisiveness. I think he is the one player that actually upholds the myth that Ruff and his 2 way play coaching destroys players. Staff is thinking if i reach for that puck what happens if I miss.

Is it being indecisive, or is it fear? A subtle, but important distinction, I think.

FWIW - I was impressed with the fact that Drew Stafford stood in front of a puck to prevent an empty net goal in the dying moments of the game last night.

I realize a lot of people do not like him on this board, but what he did at the end of the game shows that the guy cares.

FWIW - I was impressed with the fact that Drew Stafford stood in front of a puck to prevent an empty net goal in the dying moments of the game last night.

I realize a lot of people do not like him on this board, but what he did at the end of the game shows that the guy cares.

I caught just a tiny bit of last night's game, and he stood out to me as one of our best players. It's a weird development.

I caught just a tiny bit of last night's game, and he stood out to me as one of our best players. It's a weird development.

How far we have come, or, how low we have sunk...

How far we have come, or, how low we have sunk...

I dunno, man. He's been looking legitimately rejuvenated under Nolan. Is he a top-6 guy on a top-10 club? No. Would he ever be? Probably not. But, the way he's playing now, he can probably be a top-6 guy for a fringe playoff team. I think that's good enough, for now.

I agree he looks rejuvenated, and I know he's a Nolan-type of player, but he still hasn't been scoring. I think the Sabres are stuck with him the duration of his contract.