The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

I had a Keegan Ales Mother's Milk. I really liked it.

Up until recently, if I was drinking beer, it had a job to do, and in order to do it, it took a lot more than one or two. Craft beer was always just too heavy (and spendy) for that, so I'm pretty late to this party. Add to that that I think every time I had one, it was some overly hopped IPA, which I still think taste like grey water steeped with pine cones, and I was out.

But now that vodka and seltzer is my yeoman's drink, being able to have just one beer that I really enjoy is a mission of mine. Bought a six-pack singles to try. I stayed away from the IPAs and got mostly stouts and porters.

So far so good. May have to revisit some earlier pages in this thread for some ideas.

635632754345445339-2098475178_sb2.gif

Well, kiss my grits. Huh. That is more information than I have, to be sure. I guess this bit is the key. And, in my experience, I notice the ones that don't work out and, as a result, infer that changing up the BoM for the brews is always fatal to quality, and my loyalty. And that creates a huge bias.

Hmm.

Well. I'll still be keeping a watchful eye on micro houses that are acquired by the macro holdings. And, of course, my expectation that quality will diminish will probably convince me that it has.

I need a nap. Or a beer. A GOOD ONE.

For what it's worth... I do blind tastings with guys who have been professional brewers for 15+ years and people who have passed Cicerone exams, etc.  They are often fooled too.

The brain's bias is amazing when it comes to telling you whether or not you like a beer.  In our blind tastings only 1 person knows what beer was even brought to the tasting.  So, for everyone else it's the entire gamut of the style that could be in the glass.

• 2 weeks later...

Me too. I don't like alcoholic pine needle tea.

I picked up a 4 pack of Dogfish Head 120 today. Plan on using it to celebrate the end of the semester later this week.

And on consecutive posts no less!

I picked up a 4 pack of Dogfish Head 120 today. Plan on using it to celebrate the end of the semester later this week.

And on consecutive posts no less!

FWIW, 120 minute isn't nearly as hoppy as other IPAs.

Yeah 120 minute is a snifter beverage.

And 120 is one of the few beers that still can't be sold in NC. When they raised the limit from 6% several years back it only went to 15%, so no 120 here in NC.

What's incredible is how well World-wide Stout hides its alcohol. One day at lunch I had a normal beer, then that and for the next hour or three I was loopy. If I didn't read the board I would have guessed 9%, not 15+%. I couldn't pass up a 10oz pour for something like $7.

Edited by MattPie

Didn't see this posted, but New Belgium Beer will be available for the first time in NYS starting 5/16

I predict that by 6/1 everyone will realize just how much Fat Tire sucks as a beer.  Kind of like when Shiner Bock arrived.  The world was aflutter... and then... "meh".

Had Sam Adams Nitro Series White Ale... like a freakin' coriander orange milkshake.  HOOOOOLY COW.  I want to nitro a witbier soon.

I predict that by 6/1 everyone will realize just how much Fat Tire sucks as a beer.  Kind of like when Shiner Bock arrived.  The world was aflutter... and then... "meh".

Had Sam Adams Nitro Series White Ale... like a freakin' coriander orange milkshake.  HOOOOOLY COW.  I want to nitro a witbier soon.

Shiner Bock : Texas :: Labatt Blue : Buffalo.

And it's not a bock.

Edited by Eleven

I predict that by 6/1 everyone will realize just how much Fat Tire sucks as a beer.  

I always maintained a soft spot for it. Maybe it's just fond memories, early craft beer exposure, and that super cute label.

Blechk. That sounds like a nightmare beer for me. But to each their own.

I like Shiner  :(

do not despair: it is perfectly serviceable.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.