Drury

wonderbread

Drury Buf-Bound  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should Drury re-sign w/ Buffalo?

• Yes only short-term
    • Yes sign him long-term and see wht happens
    • No, retire and nvr come back to the Queen City

wow. this also sheds some light on how tortorella was out there in the media saying that drury had a serious, chronic knee problem. strikes me that perhaps torts wasn't trying to undermine his guy's value as a free agent, but instead was trying to ensure his financial well-being.

does that give them free reign to sign B-rich though? If they need to hit 69.5 by camp then they could overpay richards, essentially guaranteeing they'll get him. Sure it would be detrimental to the franchise to do it, but i wouldn't put it past them.

The Rangers currently sit at 40.5 mil of cap hit.

The "projected" cap raise is speculated to go to 62.5 mil.

In the off season, the Rangers can exceed to 10% or 69 mil.

Drury will have to wait until Sept. when he reports to camp to get final word on his situation or he could retire, either way, his cap hit is on the books in that time frame.

With Drury and Redden's cap hits, the actually number on the cap that the Rangers currently have is 55 million dollars.

This leaves them 14.5 mil in cap space over the summer.

They have a number of RFA's to re-sign. Callahan, Dubinsky and Anisimov, Sauer and Gilroy.

There is also filling out the roster to consider, even with cheaper contracts, it still adds up.

Brad Richards bidding war due to begin July 1st.

Projected starting range is 7.2 to 7.7 mil.

In short, the Rangers have very few options right now, they're in a pickle here.

The Rangers currently sit at 40.5 mil of cap hit.

The "projected" cap raise is speculated to go to 62.5 mil.

In the off season, the Rangers can exceed to 10% or 69 mil.

Drury will have to wait until Sept. when he reports to camp to get final word on his situation or he could retire, either way, his cap hit is on the books in that time frame.

With Drury and Redden's cap hits, the actually number on the cap that the Rangers currently have is 55 million dollars.

This leaves them 14.5 mil in cap space over the summer.

They have a number of RFA's to re-sign. Callahan, Dubinsky and Anisimov, Sauer and Gilroy.

There is also filling out the roster to consider, even with cheaper contracts, it still adds up.

Brad Richards bidding war due to begin July 1st.

Projected starting range is 7.2 to 7.7 mil.

In short, the Rangers have very few options right now, they're in a pickle here.

now can we trade them for dubinsky?

can't they just LTIR drury once he's eligible for the designation this fall? they'd still have to pay him, sure, but his salary wouldn't count against the cap (at least, i think that's how it would work).

can't they just LTIR drury once he's eligible for the designation this fall? they'd still have to pay him, sure, but his salary wouldn't count against the cap (at least, i think that's how it would work).

Does not matter when it comes to the Brad Richards bidding war.

That begins on July 1st, and the numbers I posted are correct.

They can force arbitration on their RFA's, which is a huge gamble and hope to take Richards in the bidding war, but at the end of the day, Richards bidding war will max out most likely around the 10th, as the pack begins to thin for him and the 2 main players become more evident.

Which by the way, I strongly believe will be the Rangers and the Sabres.

Those arbitration filings will loom large for sure and limit the Rangers ability to bid, if they fail to take their RFA's to arbitration, they'll be offer sheeted to be sure.

Like I said, their in a pickle here with very few options.

They can hope Drury likes 4 mil instead of 5 mil and he takes the insurance payout and retires, but 1 mil at stake, Drury isn't going to do that and his agent shouldn't allow him to.

They could, but they still have a cap problem during the July Christmas shopping season.

They won't have available money to sign a big contract. (like Richards) I suppose Richards could wait...but I don't see the biggest UFA of the year sitting out on the bidding.

They could, but they still have a cap problem during the July Christmas shopping season.

They won't have available money to sign a big contract. (like Richards) I suppose Richards could wait...but I don't see the biggest UFA of the year sitting out on the bidding.

i just put this together - the timing of it is what puts them in the pickle.

This assumes that Redden is still on their books. I'm not familiar with the rules regarding a player getting out of a contract (I mostly know how teams get rid of one), but sources that probably do know have been saying that he is likely to get out of it. He wants to play in the NHL and they have him stuck in the AHL. If there's a way out for him, it sounds like he will probably take it, even if he gives up money to do so.

i just put this together - the timing of it is what puts them in the pickle.

Correct.

Everything for them centers around the Richards bidding war.

Not good timing at all, and Drury is sure to reject the insurance compensation package as he'd loose a cool million in the process.

He's headed to training camp and most likely the LTIR status.

Torts is in a real spot here, that Redden contract is just murder to the Rangers.

This assumes that Redden is still on their books. I'm not familiar with the rules regarding a player getting out of a contract (I mostly know how teams get rid of one), but sources that probably do know have been saying that he is likely to get out of it. He wants to play in the NHL and they have him stuck in the AHL. If there's a way out for him, it sounds like he will probably take it, even if he gives up money to do so.

I'll wager Redden sits right where he's at. Playing in the NHL is an honor to be sure, making 6.5 mil a season as opposed to a lower number is all about you and your family, which always comes first, player after player state such, because at the end of the day, it's the truth. I can't see any team taking that contract.

Archived