Favorite Sabres Teams Of All Time

bob_sauve28

Bull Dog and Schoop were asking listeners to rate the teams and I was thinking all the way how I loved this team the most but Bull kept naming other teams, like "The hardest working team in hockey" and that team that lost to the Penguins in 2001. I loved both those teams! The 1999 team never really won my love, I just didn't get into the players like on this team or those other teams. Of Course the 1979-1980 club was the first year I watched and, well, you know bout first loves and all. Still, I think this team really has it going and all the players seems like cool people and all that.

Bull Dog and Schoop were asking listeners to rate the teams and I was thinking all the way how I loved this team the most but Bull kept naming other teams, like "The hardest working team in hockey" and that team that lost to the Penguins in 2001. I loved both those teams! The 1999 team never really won my love, I just didn't get into the players like on this team or those other teams. Of Course the 1979-1980 club was the first year I watched and, well, you know bout first loves and all. Still, I think this team really has it going and all the players seems like cool people and all that.

Any team with Hasek. There has never been or probably will be a player that exciting to watch in a Sabre uniform.

It has to be 74-75....

-The French Connection

-The Aud

-a team that had only been in existence for 5 years

-Schony & Korab

-a checking line comprised of guys who could score 20+ goals(Luce, Gare & Ramsay)

-standing room only behind the oranges

-Rick Dudley...the guy could fight with the best of them.

If only they had better goaltending. :(

It has to be 74-75....

-The French Connection

-The Aud

-a team that had only been in existence for 5 years

-Schony & Korab

-a checking line comprised of guys who could score 20+ goals(Luce, Gare & Ramsay)

-standing room only behind the oranges

-Rick Dudley...the guy could fight with the best of them.

If only they had better goaltending. :(

I TOTALLY agree here. This team was so much fun to watch. The massive fights with the Bruins. Kicking their butt on opening night after getting creamed by them the year before. You KNEW it was gonna be a special year. French Connection at their best, crowd screaming LUCEEEE when he got the puck. End to end rushes. Duds seeming to "run" down the wing instead of skate.

Crushing the Russkies...

and who can forget the chant of "WE WANT FIFTEEN!!!!!!"

And Bromley in goal (yechh)....

82-83 really sticks out for me, and like all of our favorite Sabre teams, the season ended in disappointment. That was a very young Sabre team with rookies Phil Housley, Dave Andreychuk, Paul Cyr, Hannu Virta and Larry Playfair, who led the team in PIM. Housley was incredible, instantly earning his nickname of "Wowie." 19 and 47 for Housley that year. So this was the next generation of Sabres hockey, but Perreault and Ramsay and a few other gems from the 70s were still around. And the Sabres acquired the previous season from Detroit for Danny Gare and Jim Schoenfeld finally felt like Sabres -- Dale McCourt, Mike Foligno and Brent Peterson. The bitterness the fans felt over that trade finally subsided.

I'm surprised bob_sauve didn't pick this season because it was the year Bob Sauve was the starting goalie. And the year he shut out the Canadiens in the Forum in the playoffs two games in a row as the third-place Sabres upset the second-place Habs in the Adams Division semifinals. In the division finals, against hated Boston (yea we hated them at one time), who had 110 points in the regular season, the Sabres were bombed 9-0 in the Boston Gahden in game 5 but tied the series at 3 with a win at the Aud, then traveled back to Beantown for the deciding game. The Sabres led 2-0, the Bruins tied it at 2, and in overtime... well every Sabre fan of that era can still see Brad Park slapping the puck into the empty net off a mad scramble off a faceoff loss in the Sabre zone.

Some memorable games that year at the Aud... coming back to beat the Bruins 7-6 after trailing 6-1. And ending two goaltender streaks, beating Boston's Pete Peeters and Philly's Bob Froese.

To be 16 again!

82-83 really sticks out for me, and like all of our favorite Sabre teams, the season ended in disappointment. That was a very young Sabre team with rookies Phil Housley, Dave Andreychuk, Paul Cyr, Hannu Virta and Larry Playfair, who led the team in PIM. Housley was incredible, instantly earning his nickname of "Wowie." 19 and 47 for Housley that year. So this was the next generation of Sabres hockey, but Perreault and Ramsay and a few other gems from the 70s were still around. And the Sabres acquired the previous season from Detroit for Danny Gare and Jim Schoenfeld finally felt like Sabres -- Dale McCourt, Mike Foligno and Brent Peterson. The bitterness the fans felt over that trade finally subsided.

I'm surprised bob_sauve didn't pick this season because it was the year Bob Sauve was the starting goalie. And the year he shut out the Canadiens in the Forum in the playoffs two games in a row as the third-place Sabres upset the second-place Habs in the Adams Division semifinals. In the division finals, against hated Boston (yea we hated them at one time), who had 110 points in the regular season, the Sabres were bombed 9-0 in the Boston Gahden in game 5 but tied the series at 3 with a win at the Aud, then traveled back to Beantown for the deciding game. The Sabres led 2-0, the Bruins tied it at 2, and in overtime... well every Sabre fan of that era can still see Brad Park slapping the puck into the empty net off a mad scramble off a faceoff loss in the Sabre zone.

Some memorable games that year at the Aud... coming back to beat the Bruins 7-6 after trailing 6-1. And ending two goaltender streaks, beating Boston's Pete Peeters and Philly's Bob Froese.

To be 16 again!

Excellent!! I very much remember this season! That 9-0 game was on a school day and started at like 2:00 for some reason and I listened to it in class with a little radio that I had an ear piece for. I remember my biology teacher asking me a question during class and I couldn't hear him. The night we tied the series in Buffalo my mom was out of town and we had a big party at my house, I still remember Jenneriet's exact words, "And yes Virginia there will be a seventh game!" Good call there PA!

Actually, Game 2 of the Sabres-Bruins series was during the day, and not the 9-0 game. The Sabres won Game 1 on a Thursday night at the Boston Gah-den, and had to play Game 2 on Friday afternoon because the Celtics had an NBA playoff game Friday night. I can remember being in 8th grade at Sweet Home JR High, and in my 8th period science class, Mr. Cavallero let us listen to the game on the radio I brought into class. The 9-0 game was Game 5, and if I remember correctly, Bob Sauve was pulled in favor of Phil Myre in that game. Also, if memory serves me right, Lindy Ruff had the game-winning goal in a 5-3 Sabres victory in Game 6, which sent the series back to Boston for Game 7. Ric Seiling had both Sabre goals in Game 7. I currently live in Harrisburg PA and work as an air personality at a classic rock station. I've started dropping Sabres comments on-air to piss off the Flyers fans in the area, and a few Sabres fans who've also moved here from WNY have buzzed me on the request lines to talk Sabres hockey. I'm certainly not one of those radio cheese balls who think everybody is hanging on the edge of their seats waiting to hear what you're going to say next, but I have to admit it's cool to yap about the Sabres 325 miles from home. My mom just moved back to Batavia after 23 years in Florida, and even she is starting to talk about the Sabres, when 6 months ago she wouldn't have known who Chris Drury was if he had cross-checked her in the teeth.

The aforementioned Tucker, with two (2 for 3), tied with Miroslav Satan (2 for 5). Perreault was 1 for 3 and Patty 1 for 1.

By the way, if you go to sabres.com and look around, you'll find the media guide, which can be downloaded in PDF format. You'll find all kinds of goodies in there. Great bathroom reading.

Hey Rock. When the Sabres go back to blue and gold, are you going to take a new photo for your avatar or just touch it up in Photoshop? If you're touching it up, would you mind adding some hips on that "girl" on the left and perhaps remove the hair from her forearm? :)

The aforementioned Tucker, with two (2 for 3), tied with Miroslav Satan (2 for 5). Perreault was 1 for 3 and Patty 1 for 1.

By the way, if you go to sabres.com and look around, you'll find the media guide, which can be downloaded in PDF format. You'll find all kinds of goodies in there. Great bathroom reading.

Hey Rock. When the Sabres go back to blue and gold, are you going to take a new photo for your avatar or just touch it up in Photoshop? If you're touching it up, would you mind adding some hips on that "girl" on the left and perhaps remove the hair from her forearm? :)

Play theme from 'Crying Game' here.

Would you like me to remove her breasts too? :P

Archived