Marcus Foligno

tom webster

No but I think it's possible a 15 to 30. For the record, unless he has some desire to play for his father I think he signs before June 2nd

That's an interesting thought, but it would be one hell of a long shot for him to take that chance. It's not like he would be a free agent, 29 other teams would still have that chance of drafting him, just like Anaheim would.

• 2 weeks later...

Marcus Foligno is only a month away from being eligible to re-enter the draft. Darcy hasn't signed him yet, so he is ineligible to play in Portland. The negotiations are going slow.

WTF is Darcy doing? Foligno is one of our best forward prospects right now.

stinky linky

16 days later and still no word on a contract for Foligno. Now he is less than two weeks away from re-entering the draft.

I thought Darcy changed his ways?

16 days later and still no word on a contract for Foligno. Now he is less than two weeks away from re-entering the draft.

I thought Darcy changed his ways?

If he's not signed in two weeks, you can go ahead and deride Darcy, but it's not a big deal until then.

If he's not signed in two weeks, you can go ahead and deride Darcy, but it's not a big deal until then.

I agree. I guess there might be bonus money to negotiate but I can't imagine Foligno would want to go back in the draft over tens of thousands...... I can't imagine this not getting done.

There is probably a little back and forth between the agent, but these always seem to get done.

No one else thinks its a big deal that the top amateur forward prospect in our organization is allowed to get within 11 days of re-entering the draft? The kid can just say no. He doesn't have to sign anything Darcy offers, and why would he? There is no longer any risk associated with not signing - he will sitting on his couch for the next 10 days. He's a guaranteed 1st round pick if he re-enters the draft. Maybe he would rather play for an organization that brings along its youngsters sooner - I am sure he would rather be making NHL money than AHL money. This is exactly how they screwed the pooch on Drury and Briere. The players are people - they want to feel wanted. Making a prospect wait until the very last minute to get a reasonable contract offer doesn't make people feel wanted - it does the opposite.

No one else thinks its a big deal that the top amateur forward prospect in our organization is allowed to get within 11 days of re-entering the draft? The kid can just say no. He doesn't have to sign anything Darcy offers, and why would he? There is no longer any risk associated with not signing - he will sitting on his couch for the next 10 days. He's a guaranteed 1st round pick if he re-enters the draft. Maybe he would rather play for an organization that brings along its youngsters sooner - I am sure he would rather be making NHL money than AHL money. This is exactly how they screwed the pooch on Drury and Briere. The players are people - they want to feel wanted. Making a prospect wait until the very last minute to get a reasonable contract offer doesn't make people feel wanted - it does the opposite.

We don't know what's going on behind the scenes. It's like the post I read yesterday where someone said it's time to wake DR up and start the offseason process already. Well little did he/we know he was working and just signed one of our top D prospect for 3 years. I'm sure negotiations are going on and Foligno's agent may be playing hardball with the Sabres and using time to their advantage. It's like when a union renegotiates a new agreement. The deal is likely in place before the deadline but they don't sign it until near the last moment to show that they held off to the last possible moment and negotiated for every last second to get the best possible deal for their client.

Replace "Foligno" with "Gerbe" and you have the same ridiculous panic we saw on this board three years ago ... over a fourth-round pick. Yeah, I know, he has gotten better ... but it's funny ... Gerbe got signed, showed up, obviously was NOT ready and the time in the AHL did him good. And this past season he played his a$ off for the team that made him wait SO long to sign a contract .... despite being horribly disrespected and made to feel unwanted by the tyrants running the Sabres organization.

Replace "Foligno" with "Gerbe" and you have the same ridiculous panic we saw on this board two years ago ... over a fourth-round pick. Yeah, I know, he has gotten better ... but it's funny ... Gerbe got signed, showed up, obviously was NOT ready and the time in the AHL did him good. And this past season he played his a$$ off for the team that made him wait SO long to sign a contract .... despite being horribly disrespected and made to feel unwanted by the tyrants running the Sabres organization.

They did have a whole year left on Gerbe though. Anyway, yeah, panicking over this is ridiculous. The entire league is littered with draft picks that haven't signed yet. The deal will get done.

Since when did fans start panicking over unsigned draft picks...before they go unsigned. Is this still fax machine faux paus fall out? Settle down people, Buffalo is hockey heaven now, where all things bad disappear.

I'm pretty sure that Don Meehan is Nick Foligno's agent. I don't know about Nick Foligno, but there's a good chance he's Nick's agent too.

These guys have pretty busy lives. 3 weeks is an eternity....Darcy might have more than one item on the agenda with any given agent...they probably have a date set to take care of more than one thing.

Just thinking out loud here.

I'm pretty sure that Don Meehan is Nick Foligno's agent. I don't know about Nick Foligno, but there's a good chance he's Nick's agent too.

These guys have pretty busy lives. 3 weeks is an eternity....Darcy might have more than one item on the agenda with any given agent...they probably have a date set to take care of more than one thing.

Just thinking out loud here.

http://www.themarysue.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/wat.jpeg

Sorry ...Nick and Marcus probably share an agent.

hahaha i caught your drift, i just try not to miss opportunities to post the owl when they present themselves.

I agree with your assessment though, it's definitely going to get done. Darcy cant afford to screw up this offseason, his job hinges on it. We know it, and he knows it. We'll be fine. :thumbsup:

hahaha i caught your drift, i just try not to miss opportunities to post the owl when they present themselves.

I agree with your assessment though, it's definitely going to get done. Darcy cant afford to screw up this offseason, his job hinges on it. We know it, and he knows it. We'll be fine. :thumbsup:

According to Buffalo News, contract offers also going out to Foligno and Boychuk.

According to Buffalo News, contract offers also going out to Foligno and Boychuk.

linky?

fwiw, here's what i read: Regier recently said he also plans to extend contract offers to forward prospects Marcus Foligno and Riley Boychuk.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article426586.ece

Archived