Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

Not a big lose for the Sabres.

That's about the price I figured he was ARGUABLY worth, but like you said/implied, at that price it's risky. The only difference between him and some of the other floaters-with-potential we have already is that Frolov has put together some excellent seasons. He's still a mind-numbing dude, though, with his incredible ability to lose complete interest in the game of hockey. He'll fit in well with the Rangers.

"What's that you are serving?" asked Frolov.

"Sauce Provencale for the herring, sir. . . ."

"What! is that the way to serve it?" shouted Frolov, not looking into the sauceboat. "Do you call that sauce? You don't know how to wait, you blockhead!"

Frolov's velvety eyes flashed. He twisted a corner of the table-cloth round his finger, made a slight movement, and the dishes, the candlesticks, and the bottles, all jingling and clattering, fell with a crash on the floor.

"Listen, my good man," Frolov said, addressing him. "What's the meaning of this disorder? How queerly you fellows wait! Don't you know that I don't like it? Devil take you, I shall give up coming to you!"

The Free Agency Season has gone so quiet that it has come down to this, "18th Century drama - "A hockey players demeanor", starring Alexendar Frolov as - "a rather lazy fellow who just signed with a bad team". :unsure: :blink: :rolleyes:

"One drinks and is none the merrier," said Frolov. "The more I pour into myself, the more sober I become. Other people grow festive with vodka, but I suffer from anger, disgusting thoughts, sleeplessness. Why is it, old man, that people don't invent some other pleasure besides drunkenness and debauchery? It's really horrible!"

Someone should tell TC.

Suddenly, with a strained sound, Ponikarovsky bent his head into the shirts and began to cry stormily.

“They’re such beautiful shirts,” he sobbed, his voice muffled in the thick folds. “It makes me sad because I’ve never seen such — such beautiful shirts before.”

With Poni and Frolov signing I guess teams aren't waiting for the Kovalpuke fiasco to be resolved.

Remind me again who came up with the excuse that no movement would be seen until the Kovaldrag situation was resolved.

With Poni and Frolov signing I guess teams aren't waiting for the Kovalpuke fiasco to be resolved.

Remind me again who came up with the excuse that no movement would be seen until the Kovaldrag situation was resolved.

Kovy pretty much done. We have him in a new deal that has a cap hit of 6 million over 12 years that the NHL will go for.

Suddenly, with a strained sound, Ponikarovsky bent his head into the shirts and began to cry stormily.

“They’re such beautiful shirts,” he sobbed, his voice muffled in the thick folds. “It makes me sad because I’ve never seen such — such beautiful shirts before.”

“I adore it,” exclaimed Darcy. “The pompadour! You never told me you had a pompadour—or a yacht.”

“Look at this,” said Larry quickly. “Here’s a lot of clippings—about you.”

“I adore it,” exclaimed Darcy. “The pompadour! You never told me you had a pompadour—or a yacht.”

“Look at this,” said Larry quickly. “Here’s a lot of clippings—about you.”

wow. perhaps those hockey sweaters were made of the sheerest flannel and the thickest silk (i don't think i have that quite right).

"One drinks and is none the merrier," said Frolov. "The more I pour into myself, the more sober I become. Other people grow festive with vodka, but I suffer from anger, disgusting thoughts, sleeplessness. Why is it, old man, that people don't invent some other pleasure besides drunkenness and debauchery? It's really horrible!"

Someone should tell TC.

Terry Crisp? Tom Cruise?

Hey all you drinkers... I was out walking and picked up a plastic whiskey bottle along a trail. Said something like "traveler friendly container" or something. When did this wonderful technological improvement come alone?

"One drinks and is none the merrier," said Frolov.

Someone should tell TC.

Terry Crisp? Tom Cruise?

i'm thinking The Skill. next time you're in town, PA, we'll hit Mother's at 2 a.m. - you'll see for yourself.

Hey all you drinkers

that's me!

I was out walking and picked up a plastic whiskey bottle along a trail. Said something like "traveler friendly container" or something. When did this wonderful technological improvement come alone?

that's back to the future. why, i've got a wee bottle in my hip pocket called hocus pocus sally campaign [uncorks bottle and pours contents down throat of the slain st. patrick] ... RISE UP, SAINT PADRAIG, AND FIGHT AGAIN! [st. patrick kills cromwell.]

Someone should tell TC.

Tweren't for the drink, the Irish would rule the world.

That's about the price I figured he was ARGUABLY worth, but like you said/implied, at that price it's risky. The only difference between him and some of the other floaters-with-potential we have already is that Frolov has put together some excellent seasons. He's still a mind-numbing dude, though, with his incredible ability to lose complete interest in the game of hockey. He'll fit in well with the Rangers.

You will never win by playing it safe, and always worrying about the future. Look at the Blackhawks, You think they played it safe with the Hossa and Campbell signings? Sometimes you have to take risks if you want to succeed

You will never win by playing it safe, and always worrying about the future. Look at the Blackhawks, You think they played it safe with the Hossa and Campbell signings? Sometimes you have to take risks if you want to succeed

Well, Hossa and Soupy were (and are) much better and more-established players than Frolov. However, I don't think a 1-year, $3MM contract for this guy is risky, unless it makes you give up a player b/c you don't have cap room. That isn't the case right now with the Sabres.

Putting aside the "worrying about the future" notion (not sure what that has to do with anything, especially since he signed for one year), you're comparing signing Hossa and Campbell to the prospect of signing Frolov? Signing Frolov is an indicator that a team is going for it and not signing him, or someone like him, means you're playing it safe? Like Chicago went for it by signing one of the highest scoring players this past decade and arguably the top FA defenseman that off-season? Okay...

To sign or to not sign Frolov is not an indication that a team is going for it or playing it safe. That's quite a stretch. Taking risks to succeed is a nice sentiment, but weighing the pros and cons of signing a Frolov doesn't meet that standard at all. Making a play for a Kovalchuk, engineering a blockbuster trade, or something like that is the difference between those two concepts. The potential upside of a Frolov is what we should all expect from a Drew Stafford. The potential downside of a Frolov is what we all do expect from a Drew Stafford. I'd love the Sabres to make a major splash and take a TRUE risk this off-season, but for $3mil a year on a guy whose potential matches other potentials we already have, that's a pass I can live with. For less money, it becomes more intriguing, but either way it's not a make-or-break signing.

Well, Hossa and Soupy were (and are) much better and more-established players than Frolov. However, I don't think a 1-year, $3MM contract for this guy is risky, unless it makes you give up a player b/c you don't have cap room. That isn't the case right now with the Sabres.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with passing up on a Frolov based on weighing the potential either way (just my opinion), which is what I meant by risk. I will say that I don't have a problem with a TRUE risk involving Frolov, say in combination with pursuing/signing a 1st line center, which would then make his signing that much more interesting. I think someone in another thread posted potential lines were the Sabres, in some ethereal fantasy world we all dream of, to make a play for Savard and Frolov in seperate deals. A bold move like that would be a risk for several reasons, but THAT reward potential would be much higher.

The potential upside of a Frolov is what we should all expect from a Drew Stafford. The potential downside of a Frolov is what we all do expect from a Drew Stafford.

Putting in some italics to help make it clear. This is what is wrong with Drew Stafford. And you're right, that's exactly why you don't want your team to spend another 3M on Stafford, I mean Frolov (plus, the Frolov is cursed).

All that said, again, once that Kennedy decision comes in, we know how much to offer Ryan, Right LQ and DR?

My point was with what i bolded in the post i was replying to, that signing him at $3 mil is a risk, like signing Zherdev, both have potential and fell out of favour on other teams. Hossa and Campbell are just examples of some risks teams that want to win are willing to do. Risking $3 mil on a guy with alot of skill/potential like Frolov is small compared to signing guys like Campbell and Hossa to huge long term deals. The point I was trying to make is that taking risks is something they should never be afraid of if they hope to ever win a cup, weither they be big or small risks.

Fans for years were always talking about how the Sabres can't sign bigger players because it could mortgagae the future, and were always fearful about them getting too close to the cap all while we sit here watching teams win it all by doing whatever it takes to win

Risking $3 mil on a guy with alot of skill/potential like Frolov is small compared to signing guys like Campbell and Hossa to huge long term deals. The point I was trying to make is that taking risks is something they should never be afraid of if they hope to ever win a cup, weither they be big or small risks.

I understand what you're trying to say. Believe me, I would completely welcome the Sabres taking a real risk, or trying to make a big splash in the FA market, or trying to sign a quality RFA to an offer sheet, or something like that...anything. Unfortunately, the simple fact that they're taking such a risk would be a tacit admission that they've given up on, or at least have lost faith in, their precious core, so I don't see it happening.

But regardless, I don't like to term it as risk-taking, though that certainly fits at times, as much as I like to call it being bold or being aggressive. We have a passive GM who hides behind the excuse that players don't want to come here, he has a solid core, he doesn't have enough money to work with, etc. A bold GM goes out and makes things happen, stirs the pot, etc. That said, I don't put the Frolov signing or lack thereof as something that really pings my radar as one that is going to be the bold move we need to move up a notch. Maybe in combination with some other moves as part of a larger restructuring, but signing a guy whose potential, IMO, matches potential we already have doesn't really intrigue me. We can just as easily take that money and use it in whole or in part to make a play for a true impact player. I realize that such a move isn't going to happen, but the potential is there, and a Frolov signing dilutes that potential. That's all I was saying.

Archived