Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

I certainly agree on Chicago and San Francisco. Good steakhouses doesn't mean that KC has great dining generally. Same with fish and chips (or were you kidding?) in Seattle. New Orleans is known for great restaurants, but I have been disappointed on every visit--maybe my expectations were too high because of all the press that city gets. In particular, Emeril's totally failed to impress me. Breakfast on South Beach? I'll try it sometime. It will not be better than brunch at Left Bank, but I'll try it sometime. Dinner in Miami is disaster, in my experience, though. (Except for Cuban food. Excellent Cuban food there.)

In my experience, few cities have restaurants that are in the league of places like Lombardo, Rue Franklin, Hutch's, Tempo, Aroma, and others too numerous to mention. Many cities have restaurants that are more expensive, though. Most cities I've dined in seem to top out with quality akin to Bacchus, Papaya, or City Grill--hardly bad, but middle of the road for Buffalo.

I can't argue on atmosphere. Some of the restaurants I mention above have awesome atmosphere (Left Bank), but most, it's just ok.

Agreed on KC, the food was great, but the atmosphere, not so good.

But Seattle had some great dishes, a combination of some Asian, Indian and Seafood combo's just knocked my socks off.

Thats why I said fish and chips, varying degree of spicyness, but over all, the atmoshpere out on the sound and up in the downtown area was just great.

Never had a bad experience in the Big Easy, especially the Oysters, Crabs and Clam bakes were fantastic. The cajun gumbo down in the French Quarter (anyone of the big 8 down there) were always a craving I had to fill.

I certainly agree on Chicago and San Francisco. Good steakhouses doesn't mean that KC has great dining generally. Same with fish and chips (or were you kidding?) in Seattle. New Orleans is known for great restaurants, but I have been disappointed on every visit--maybe my expectations were too high because of all the press that city gets. In particular, Emeril's totally failed to impress me. Breakfast on South Beach? I'll try it sometime. It will not be better than brunch at Left Bank, but I'll try it sometime. Dinner in Miami is disaster, in my experience, though. (Except for Cuban food. Excellent Cuban food there.)

In my experience, few cities have restaurants that are in the league of places like Lombardo, Rue Franklin, Hutch's, Tempo, Aroma, and others too numerous to mention. Many cities have restaurants that are more expensive, though. Most cities I've dined in seem to top out with quality akin to Bacchus, Papaya, or City Grill--hardly bad, but middle of the road for Buffalo.

I can't argue on atmosphere. Some of the restaurants I mention above have awesome atmosphere (Left Bank), but most, it's just ok.

Thanks -- I will keep these in mind next time I'm back home and need a good restaurant.

I do think Miami and New Orleans are great food cities. Not KC or Chicago though.

Agreed on KC, the food was great, but the atmosphere, not so good.

But Seattle had some great dishes, a combination of some Asian, Indian and Seafood combo's just knocked my socks off.

Thats why I said fish and chips, varying degree of spicyness, but over all, the atmoshpere out on the sound and up in the downtown area was just great.

Never had a bad experience in the Big Easy, especially the Oysters, Crabs and Clam bakes were fantastic. The cajun gumbo down in the French Quarter (anyone of the big 8 down there) were always a craving I had to fill.

Although as I mentioned above I think NO is a great food city, I think the po' boy is a vastly overrated item.

7:30 mark of this interview with Harry Neale, he believes the Sabres will add size via trade to the line up.

Rob Ray said the same thing, so did Thomas Vanek.

Here ya go:

http://audio.wgr550.com/m/audio/32668595/7-19-harry-neale-at-wgr-golf-tournament.htm

I heard both Rob And Harry's takes but they did not sound as if they had behind the scenes knowledge rather it sounded more like a whim. Maybe a trade is coming but until it happens my hopes are nil.

I'll give you the tax issue, but I'm pretty sure Buffalo has a beach, hotties (hey chz!), weather, restaurants, clubs, golf and even some wealth.

Yes, but if rating those things on a scale of one to ten, Buffalo would rate (generously) about a 3 and Tampa/St. Pete about an 8. It is what it is.

Hmmm. Philly, Buffalo, or Tampa? Where would I rather live as a hockey player that has summers off?

IMO, I think he signed or waived his clause (that sounded funny) to go there also because Tampa, after he has a decent year, may give him some big bucks to stay. Or at least enough that he won't have to move again.

Maybe he just wanted to play with a much more talented group of forwards.

Players know what the Sabres are about. They won a Presidents' Trophy and let their two Captains go. They dropped off the face of the earth. Won a division on the back of Miller and has done nothing to improve the roster. Tampa has Stamkos Vinny and Marty. They have a legit top six not the group of third liners the Sabres put together.

i think it is worth noting that even with their legit top 6, buffalo has finished better than tampa in every year that tampa has existed except 1. I don't honestly know if that's accurate, but it sounds right.

dont get me wrong, i understand your argument but this group of 3rd liners consistently beats Tampa Bays legit top 6, so I mean is it really that bad?

i think it is worth noting that even with their legit top 6, buffalo has finished better than tampa in every year that tampa has existed except 1. I don't honestly know if that's accurate, but it sounds right.

dont get me wrong, i understand your argument but this group of 3rd liners consistently beats Tampa Bays legit top 6, so I mean is it really that bad?

Really?

Atlanta Has consistently beaten us over that same time. Would you say they were the better team?

Oh, and wasn't that 1 time you mentioned when they WON THE CUP!

Yes. It's that bad.

Only about the tax.

There are good and bad restaurants everywhere. Between Kleinhans, Artpark, festivals. etc, Buff is better culturally (you just have to look at the Gusto every Fri to see that). As far as the weather, if you like the air conditioning in your car, house or place of business then yes, Florida is great. Other wise I think it sucks, too hot and humid. I'll take a Buffalo summer any day.

Then there are the people. Everytime I go there it seems like all they talk about is cars and countertops. I just don't care what car wax or tire shining sauce they use. I haven't washed my car in four years and I get to work in it every day just fine.

I think the only thing Florida has going for it is PR.

I'm dying to know where it is you go everytime you come here. Curious as to who you surround yourself with that have nothing better to talk about than cars and countertops... sounds like a fun crowd. :blink:

Florida gets this weird "bad rap". I don't get it, aside from the obvious heat and death highways.

Really?

Atlanta Has consistently beaten us over that same time. Would you say they were the better team?

Oh, and wasn't that 1 time you mentioned when they WON THE CUP!

Yes. It's that bad.

The time they won the cup only 2 of your legit top 6 were on that team. Don't forget, to get Stamkos, they had to be the WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE.

No. It's not that bad.

And lemme know when Atlanta becomes relevant in any kind of discussion regarding playoffs again.

If we had Stamkos, Lecalvier, St. Louis and Gagne and whoever else and were having results like the lightning you all would be bitching about these players the same way you bitch about Roy and Connolly.

You take your "legit top 6" and i'll take the chance to compete for the stanley cup. Agree to disagree.

Here's the question i want to answer.

Choose a roster, Tampa Bay or Buffalo. Who's roster do you want heading into next season.

I'm dying to know where it is you go everytime you come here. Curious as to who you surround yourself with that have nothing better to talk about than cars and countertops... sounds like a fun crowd. :blink:

Florida gets this weird "bad rap". I don't get it, aside from the obvious heat and death highways.

C'mon. Admit it. You've used some sort of spray to make your tires shiny.

C'mon. Admit it. You've used some sort of spray to make your tires shiny.

Absolutely. I wash my car twice a month. Wax it once a month. I clay it once a year.

The difference is I don't openly discuss it with anyone. Nor have I met anyone here in Florida who wants to discuss washing cars.

The time they won the cup only 2 of your legit top 6 were on that team. Don't forget, to get Stamkos, they had to be the WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE.

No. It's not that bad.

And lemme know when Atlanta becomes relevant in any kind of discussion regarding playoffs again.

If we had Stamkos, Lecalvier, St. Louis and Gagne and whoever else and were having results like the lightning you all would be bitching about these players the same way you bitch about Roy and Connolly.

You take your "legit top 6" and i'll take the chance to compete for the stanley cup. Agree to disagree.

Here's the question i want to answer.

Choose a roster, Tampa Bay or Buffalo. Who's roster do you want heading into next season.

Are you talking Skaters or the whole team? Because if Tampa, the way they look now, had Miller, I'm taking Tampa. At least for one year,.. they are getting a little long in the tooth.

Absolutely. I wash my car twice a month. Wax it once a month. I clay it once a year.

The difference is I don't openly discuss it with anyone. Nor have I met anyone here in Florida who wants to discuss washing cars.

Clay?

Clay?

Ya, it's actually called a clay bar.

I'd explain it, but you haven't washed your car in 4 years. Plus, I don't want to feed the stereotype... :nana:

Google it if you're really interested. It's good for your clearcoat.

Ya, it's actually called a clay bar.

I'd explain it, but you haven't washed your car in 4 years. Plus, I don't want to feed the stereotype... :nana:

Google it if you're really interested. It's good for your clearcoat.

Clearcoat?

:lol:

Are you talking Skaters or the whole team? Because if Tampa, the way they look now, had Miller, I'm taking Tampa. At least for one year,.. they are getting a little long in the tooth.

whole teams. the reason tampa doesn't have any defense, depth or goaltending is cuz all their money is tied up in their top 6.

And that's with Stamkos making 875K... after this year Stamkos is an RFA. And I imagine he's going to get quite a lot of money. Enough to make Gagne I would assume go to UFA. But who knows, maybe they'll give him a 23 year extension.

If you ask me, greg, would you trade roy, connolly, Pomminstein, stafford, vanek, Kennedy for the lightnings Top 6 without any cap ramifications, uh yeah I do that. I'm not stupid.

But as it is, with a salary cap it is team suicide to have that much of your cap tied up in that few players.

the lightnings defense, has to be the worst in the league. Besides hedman there's not a person there that I want on Portland.

My only point is that every American city (or Canadian city) has pretty much the same to offer. Florida has the PR, but every city has good food to eat, good beer to drink and skanky chicks that will bang a rich hockey player.

My only point is that every American city (or Canadian city) has pretty much the same to offer. Florida has the PR, but every city has good food to eat, good beer to drink and skanky chicks that will bang a rich hockey player.

Ya I know, but seriously, wash your @!%*#^ car dude!!! :lol:

After I bought my car last summer, I washed it 3 times a week (and put stuff on the tires to make it shiney)

Wouldn't you:

Right. I have a 350z, same color. Don't get not taking care of your stuff, but to each their own.

Nice car btw.

Archived