Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

Tampa paid a steep price. A 30 year old blueliner and a fourth round draft pick <_< No way Regier ponies up that much for a player like Gagne <_<

I can't wait until the excuse makers tell us that the Sabres just didn't have what the Lightning were looking for. Can we please get a emoticon putting up a big middle finger. I'll chip in for the upgrade.

I don't think anyone is going to claim that the Sabres couldn't match that trade. But the NTC is a valid excuse, IMHO. If a forward like that who doesn't have a NTC is available in trade and goes somewhere else for that kind of package, I am going to break something.

I don't think anyone is going to claim that the Sabres couldn't match that trade. But the NTC is a valid excuse, IMHO. If a forward like that who doesn't have a NTC is available in trade and goes somewhere else for that kind of package, I am going to break something.

Having a team that quality players wont waive their NTC for doesn't make me feel any better. Actually, it makes me feel worse. :(

I am now convinced that Darcy is not going to make any more moves in UFA's or trades.

The team we have is the team we have is my opinion.

I honestly have to believe this is Darcy's last season as GM of the Sabres (fingers crossed).

I cannot see the Buffalo Sabres winning the division this year, especially given the moves Boston has made and the talent they have with size.

I don't mind Ruff, but Regier needs to go IMHO.

Will you snap a pencil? Will you be terribly disappointed, and at some point in the future call for Darcy's head?

I think it is. If the Sabres were a serious contender with a reputation of a franchise that wants to win I think quality free agents would consider Buffalo.

The only thing that makes Tampa a contender right now is Stevie Y.

I think you are underestimating the Sabres' reputation. The Sabres won their division last year, have a stable ownership situation with a billionaire at the top, spend close to the cap every year, have a coach who won an Olympic gold medal this year and have given out at least their share (if not more) of big contracts.

Tampa, OTOH, has been a terrible team for the last 4 years and a complete joke for the last 2. They are presumably turning it around with Yzerman, but they are far from getting there. So Tampa's team is well below Buffalo's team in terms of hockey. But Tampa's city? Beach, hotties, weather, no state income tax, restaurants, clubs, golf, wealth, etc.

Unfortunately, Buffalo is among the half dozen least desirable NHL cities. Players good enough to get NTCs don't waive them to come to that group of cities. That's just the truth.

Here's an example: Ottawa is also a solid NHL organization and a fairly unappealing city. When was the last time a player waived a NTC to permit a trade to Ottawa?

I think you are underestimating the Sabres' reputation. The Sabres won their division last year, have a stable ownership situation with a billionaire at the top, spend close to the cap every year, have a coach who won an Olympic gold medal this year and have given out at least their share (if not more) of big contracts.

Tampa, OTOH, has been a terrible team for the last 4 years and a complete joke for the last 2. They are presumably turning it around with Yzerman, but they are far from getting there. So Tampa's team is well below Buffalo's team in terms of hockey. But Tampa's city? Beach, hotties, weather, no state income tax, restaurants, clubs, golf, wealth, etc.

Unfortunately, Buffalo is among the half dozen least desirable NHL cities. Players good enough to get NTCs don't waive them to come to that group of cities. That's just the truth.

Here's an example: Ottawa is also a solid NHL organization and a fairly unappealing city. When was the last time a player waived a NTC to permit a trade to Ottawa?

I'll give you the tax issue, but I'm pretty sure Buffalo has a beach, hotties (hey chz!), weather, restaurants, clubs, golf and even some wealth.

But Yzerman knows how to build a winner. He proved it by picking from by far the most talented pool of players and putting that Canadian gold medal squad together. That's an absolutely impossible task, yet Yzerman somehow pulled it off!

I'll give you the tax issue, but I'm pretty sure Buffalo has a beach, hotties (hey chz!), weather, restaurants, clubs, golf and even some wealth.

I'd bet anything that Buffalo has the better restaurants. After that, Tampa kills Buffalo in every of the above categories.

Florida sucks. The only reason they don't have a state tax is because they know nobody would live there if they did.

Florida sucks. The only reason they don't have a state tax is because they know nobody would live there if they did.

You are both joking, right?

I'd bet anything that Buffalo has the better restaurants. After that, Tampa kills Buffalo in every of the above categories.

On the restaurants, I'll agree with you if we're talking wings/pizza/subs, but not fine dining. Wealth begets services that cater to wealth.

Having a team that quality players wont waive their NTC for doesn't make me feel any better. Actually, it makes me feel worse. :(

Hmmm. Philly, Buffalo, or Tampa? Where would I rather live as a hockey player that has summers off?

IMO, I think he signed or waived his clause (that sounded funny) to go there also because Tampa, after he has a decent year, may give him some big bucks to stay. Or at least enough that he won't have to move again.

Um, coaches can't win Olympic medals. Only the players get the hardware.

True, but they HAVE won a Stanley Cup before and they now have a GM for whom winning is second nature. I wouldn't say they are well below Buffalo's team...

That is certainly the case...

Anahiem and Bobby Ryan have not spoken since July 3rd.

Ryan is holding firm for 3 years at 15 million. It was talked about on a local Anahiem sports radio station this morning and Bob Murray, GM for the Ducks will not back down off of his 5 year contract length.

The discussion revolved around the 3 to 5 year difference and Ryan's agent reasoning for 3 years makes complete sense.

If the new CBA eliminates the 27yr old age for UFA status (as every player is demanding it should be lowered to 25) it will allow Ryan to price himself on the open market without having to wait for an offer sheet as an RFA or the possibility of sitting out until one party caves in.

Bobby Ryan will not sign for 5 years with Ducks, period, his agent has stated. Murray will not sign Ryan to a 3 year deal, he has stated. Where does this go from here?

Anahiem and Bobby Ryan have not spoken since July 3rd.

Ryan is holding firm for 3 years at 15 million. It was talked about on a local Anahiem sports radio station this morning and Bob Murray, GM for the Ducks will not back down off of his 5 year contract length.

The discussion revolved around the 3 to 5 year difference and Ryan's agent reasoning for 3 years makes complete sense.

If the new CBA eliminates the 27yr old age for UFA status (as every player is demanding it should be lowered to 25) it will allow Ryan to price himself on the open market without having to wait for an offer sheet as an RFA or the possibility of sitting out until one party caves in.

Bobby Ryan will not sign for 5 years with Ducks, period, his agent has stated. Murray will not sign Ryan to a 3 year deal, he has stated. Where does this go from here?

It almost seems too obvious... 4 years

You are both joking, right?

On the restaurants, I'll agree with you if we're talking wings/pizza/subs, but not fine dining. Wealth begets services that cater to wealth.

Only about the tax.

There are good and bad restaurants everywhere. Between Kleinhans, Artpark, festivals. etc, Buff is better culturally (you just have to look at the Gusto every Fri to see that). As far as the weather, if you like the air conditioning in your car, house or place of business then yes, Florida is great. Other wise I think it sucks, too hot and humid. I'll take a Buffalo summer any day.

Then there are the people. Everytime I go there it seems like all they talk about is cars and countertops. I just don't care what car wax or tire shining sauce they use. I haven't washed my car in four years and I get to work in it every day just fine.

I think the only thing Florida has going for it is PR.

But it doesn't necessarily beget good cuisine (witness Washington, DC). I am definitely talking fine dining, and I'd bet anything that Buffalo kicks Tampa's ###### in that regard. Frankly, I'd put Buffalo's restaurants up against almost any city in the country, but you happen to live in one of the exceptions. If there's one thing this city does exceedingly well, it's dining.

But it doesn't necessarily beget good cuisine (witness Washington, DC). I am definitely talking fine dining, and I'd bet anything that Buffalo kicks Tampa's ###### in that regard. Frankly, I'd put Buffalo's restaurants up against almost any city in the country, but you happen to live in one of the exceptions. If there's one thing this city does exceedingly well, it's dining.

Not at all.

Ponte Vedra, Florida...........an extention of Jacksonville and Jacksonville itself has some great food.

New Orleans, no need to say more here.

Kansas City, some of the best steak houses in the world.

Seattle, Northwest fish and chips heaven.

San Francisco..........great cuisine.

Chicago, has some of the premier food servers int he world.

Same with New York City.

Miami, try breakfast on South Beach, you'll never be the same again.

Aspen, both Winter and Summer, their outdoor/indoor small, unique servers have some great dishes.

The point being, you can go to many areas in the country and find great food with a far better atmoshpere to eat in than Buffalo. Not to say it isn't great food with good atmosphere here, but in my travels its a combination of the two that really seal the deal for me.

Not at all.

Ponte Vedra, Florida...........an extention of Jacksonville and Jacksonville itself has some great food.

New Orleans, no need to say more here.

Kansas City, some of the best steak houses in the world.

Seattle, Northwest fish and chips heaven.

San Francisco..........great cuisine.

Chicago, has some of the premier food servers int he world.

Same with New York City.

Miami, try breakfast on South Beach, you'll never be the same again.

Aspen, both Winter and Summer, their outdoor/indoor small, unique servers have some great dishes.

The point being, you can go to many areas in the country and find great food with a far better atmoshpere to eat in than Buffalo. Not to say it isn't great food with good atmosphere here, but in my travels its a combination of the two that really seal the deal for me.

I certainly agree on Chicago and San Francisco. Good steakhouses doesn't mean that KC has great dining generally. Same with fish and chips (or were you kidding?) in Seattle. New Orleans is known for great restaurants, but I have been disappointed on every visit--maybe my expectations were too high because of all the press that city gets. In particular, Emeril's totally failed to impress me. Breakfast on South Beach? I'll try it sometime. It will not be better than brunch at Left Bank, but I'll try it sometime. Dinner in Miami is disaster, in my experience, though. (Except for Cuban food. Excellent Cuban food there.)

In my experience, few cities have restaurants that are in the league of places like Lombardo, Rue Franklin, Hutch's, Tempo, Aroma, and others too numerous to mention. Many cities have restaurants that are more expensive, though. Most cities I've dined in seem to top out with quality akin to Bacchus, Papaya, or City Grill--hardly bad, but middle of the road for Buffalo.

I can't argue on atmosphere. Some of the restaurants I mention above have awesome atmosphere (Left Bank), but most, it's just ok.

Archived