Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

i completely disagree. connolly definately has attributes that most team would like.

Static was discussing attributes that THIS team would like, not most teams. If most teams would like him, that's great! Makes a trade all the more likely.

i completely disagree. connolly definately has attributes that most team would like.

I am not saying he is not a good hockey player, he just doesn't have what it takes to bring it and his team or even his line to the next level game in and game out including the playoffs IMO.

Like I said, its just my opinion, but he was unable to contribute to the teams run this past playoffs. I just don't see Connolly as the center this team needs on line 2. I think Jack gave an example on his clutch performance abilities, and I respect that Jack is of the opinion that Connolly, since he has maintained his health, has contributed. I just don't see him as a real component to a Cup run is all, and Jack did add he scored the goal that tied the game against Ottawa, but thats comparing Apples to Oranges. Drury and Briere aren't here anymore, and that puts more emphasis from opposing teams on Connolly. I don't believe he can pull through is all.

And that's an understatement! He was supposedly playing injured, but regardless, I view this past post-season as a complete and total collapse by the whole team, not just Connolly. Once Vanek went down it seemed like the whole team quit, aside from Ennis and Gerbe. I assume it was similar to how Ottawa felt in that '06 post-season I keep bringing up -- they were dominant all year and couldn't find a way to beat us for the life of them in the playoffs. But besides this past year, TC has decent playoff stats -- 11 (5g 6a) points in 8 games before getting rocked in 05-06, and 9 points (all assists though) in 16 games the following year after missing basically the entire regular season. Not jaw-dropping numbers, but certainly tells me he can be an important piece of a playoff run.

Also, still not saying he should be considered a clutch player, but Connolly was on the ice and recorded an assist on Drury's tying goal against the Rangers in Game 5 of the '07 playoffs. So he has had a few clutch moments, the most notable of which came in the playoffs.

If Buffalo was able to land Savard I think it would help Connolly's game out a lot. Ennis might too. In the past, if Connolly is on line one with Vanek, he's facing opponent's top D pairings and shutdown lines, often composed of their most physical players. I'll be the first to tell you that's not the most perfect place for Timmy, because he doesn't have much of a physical side, and furthermore probably always has the word "concussion" in the back of his mind. If he's on a second line with Jochen Hecht and Drew Stafford, he's got nobody to set up as they aren't the most offensive players to begin with. But if he's on a second line with say, Ennis and Pommer, he's got more options and could be even more effective than he has been in the past. Maybe that's where he could excel most and become dominant.

Again, only time will tell. Even if Buffalo doesn't get Savard, or doesn't get anybody else for that matter, Buffalo will make the playoffs and, spare another monumental collapse, could surprise a lot of people behind offensive production from not just Connolly, but Pominville, Ennis, Roy, and the rest of the team that failed to produce last year.

Static was discussing attributes that THIS team would like, not most teams. If most teams would like him, that's great! Makes a trade all the more likely.

I am not saying he is not a good hockey player, he just doesn't have what it takes to bring it and his team or even his line to the next level game in and game out including the playoffs IMO.

You had to go and wind him up again, didn't you?

i think he fits on this team just fine.

I think we got that.

our team is not that bad, yes we can use improvements but so can every team.

Yeah, I heard we won the division this year.

When everyone thinks that Connolly is good for this team, those improvements won't be (and haven't been) made. "Status Quo!, Status Quo!... Everybody now, Status Quo!, Status Quo!!!"

Yeah, I heard we won the division this year.

When everyone thinks that Connolly is good for this team, those improvements won't be (and haven't been) made. "Status Quo!, Status Quo!... Everybody now, Status Quo!, Status Quo!!!"

hey im not completely agreeing on how the team is currently being run, im just sayin connolly isnt that bad.

our team is not that bad, yes we can use improvements but so can every team.

"Is not that bad" means what? I read that and think, they are not that close to a Cup which should be the focus. If the focus is to merely exist then sure, the roster is fine. Keep it as is. My goal is set a lot higher for this franchise. This franchise is nowhere near being a Cup contender. I was hoping this would be the off-season they started taking those steps. Seeing Connolly still on the roster saddens me and shows me no steps have been taken to win that elusive Championship.

"Is not that bad" means what? I read that and think, they are not that close to a Cup which should be the focus. If the focus is to merely exist then sure, the roster is fine. Keep it as is. My goal is set a lot higher for this franchise. This franchise is nowhere near being a Cup contender. I was hoping this would be the off-season they started taking those steps. Seeing Connolly still on the roster saddens me and shows me no steps have been taken to win that elusive Championship.

You guys don't make any sense. First Connolly sucks because he never plays, and now that he's been in the lineup consistently and leading the team in production over that span, he's the definition of "Status Quo?" Since Connolly has missed so much time since the lockout, surely he can't be the reason for the team's failures. If he's only played in 50% of the games since the lockout, and we've only made the playoffs three times (two of which were seasons that he played 60+ games), how can you put the blame on him?

You're looking in the wrong place for excuses. I have no problem admitting the team hasn't made any major improvements, and therefor has essentially remained "status quo." But Connolly is not the odd man out. Pominville, Hecht, Stafford, Rivet, Gaustad, etc should all be much higher on your list of players you want out of town. Face it, you only rip on Connolly because of his past injury problems. Now that he's played and produced at a consistent pace you have nothing-- All you can do is say "status quo, status quo!" How is he status quo if, since returning from injury halfway through the 08-09 year, has added a roughly 18 goal/60+ point scorer to the lineup? A team that missed the playoffs transformed into a division champion with Connolly at the forefront. Miller played oustanding, and Myers was a bonus, but Connolly's production on and off the powerplay helped as well.

You guys don't make any sense. First Connolly sucks because he never plays, and now that he's been in the lineup consistently and leading the team in production over that span, he's the definition of "Status Quo?" Since Connolly has missed so much time since the lockout, surely he can't be the reason for the team's failures. If he's only played in 50% of the games since the lockout, and we've only made the playoffs three times (two of which were seasons that he played 60+ games), how can you put the blame on him?

You're looking in the wrong place for excuses. I have no problem admitting the team hasn't made any major improvements, and therefor has essentially remained "status quo." But Connolly is not the odd man out. Pominville, Hecht, Stafford, Rivet, Gaustad, etc should all be much higher on your list of players you want out of town. Face it, you only rip on Connolly because of his past injury problems. Now that he's played and produced at a consistent pace you have nothing-- All you can do is say "status quo, status quo!" How is he status quo if, since returning from injury halfway through the 08-09 year, has added a roughly 18 goal/60+ point scorer to the lineup? A team that missed the playoffs transformed into a division champion with Connolly at the forefront. Miller played oustanding, and Myers was a bonus, but Connolly's production on and off the powerplay helped as well.

The point is that our "#1" center is just another guy. Our "#1" center has never scored 20 goals in a season and doesn't backcheck. Oh, yeah, he doesn't take faceoffs either. The #1 center is supposed to be the leader of the team and Darcy has never understood that and certainly has never tried to fill the void at center that he has created twice. Thus, our shouts of status quo.

Do you really see the team as it stands now going further next year than they did this year. I don't. And you seem to think that all they need to do is to stay healthy and that will happen. In Lindy's defense first system, when has that ever happened.

You are right in one respect though. As goes Connolly, so go the Sabres,... right to another early exit in the playoffs.

Careful who you include in that statement. I called Connolly out for being useless and soft before the injuries.

The point is that our "#1" center is just another guy. Our "#1" center has never scored 20 goals in a season and doesn't backcheck. Oh, yeah, he doesn't take faceoffs either. The #1 center is supposed to be the leader of the team and Darcy has never understood that and certainly has never tried to fill the void at center that he has created twice. Thus, our shouts of status quo.

Do you really see the team as it stands now going further next year than they did this year. I don't. And you seem to think that all they need to do is to stay healthy and that will happen. In Lindy's defense first system, when has that ever happened.

You are right in one respect though. As goes Connolly, so go the Sabres,... right to another early exit in the playoffs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Derek Roy is supposed to be our "#1 Center." If Connolly is inserted in that role it's because Roy is faltering. This is another example of Connolly simply being a scape goat. He spent a little time on the first line, but for the most part that has been Roy's role to lose.

And yes, I do see the team as it stands going further next year than this year. They might not have as impressive of a regular season unless Miller stands on his head on again, but there's no doubt we would have at least won our first series without the rash of injuries to Vanek, Hecht, and of course Connolly. Once the playoffs start anything can happen, it's not always about who's better than who. To make it worse we got matched up against a tough Boston team with a hot goalie.

I think they need another player added to make a serious cup run. But the one going out of town won't be Connolly. For once I'm thankful that Regier is our GM because he won't trade Connolly away for nothing like you all are dying for him to do. Trading away our top point scorer doesn't make any sense if you're trying to improve the team-- not when players like Stafford and Gaustad are out there doing nothing, and have been for much longer than just a six game playoff that we got dominated in.

Careful who you include in that statement. I called Connolly out for being useless and soft before the injuries.

And now, after the injuries, what do you call him? Soft can still apply -- not everybody on your roster has to be a Milan Lucic. But useless? No way.

I'll give you credit for being the only poster on here who's ever formulated an original opinion on Connolly, but that was before he got healthy and began contributing on a regular basis. You need to let go and admit that Connolly is an asset to this team. He's not the core of our problem. Does our Top 6 need a shake up? Yes. That doesn't mean if Connolly isn't traded it's "status quo." What about Stafford? Gaustad? Hecht?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Derek Roy is supposed to be our "#1 Center." If Connolly is inserted in that role it's because Roy is faltering. This is another example of Connolly simply being a scape goat. He spent a little time on the first line, but for the most part that has been Roy's role to lose.

And yes, I do see the team as it stands going further next year than this year. They might not have as impressive of a regular season unless Miller stands on his head on again, but there's no doubt we would have at least won our first series without the rash of injuries to Vanek, Hecht, and of course Connolly. Once the playoffs start anything can happen, it's not always about who's better than who. To make it worse we got matched up against a tough Boston team with a hot goalie.

I think they need another player added to make a serious cup run. But the one going out of town won't be Connolly. For once I'm thankful that Regier is our GM because he won't trade Connolly away for nothing like you all are dying for him to do. Trading away our top point scorer doesn't make any sense if you're trying to improve the team-- not when players like Stafford and Gaustad are out there doing nothing, and have been for much longer than just a six game playoff that we got dominated in.

Connolly is not now, nor has he ever been, our top point scorer.

The more we talk about Connolly and the more people defend him, the more I despise him. He is Gray Cloud.

Connolly is not, nor has he ever been, our top point scorer.

The more we talk about Connolly and the more people defend him, the more I despise him. He is Gray Cloud.

Well I can't go through and do the math for every Sabre, but in comparison to Derek Roy (who "led" the team in points the past two seasons):

Connolly returned to the Sabres lineup on January 9th 2009.

Derek Roy recorded 31 points in the rest of that season, and 69 this previous season.

Tim Connolly scored 40 points in the rest of that season, and 65 this previous season.

At the very least, TC has outscored our top point scorer since his return to the lineup.

Well I can't go through and do the math for every Sabre, but in comparison to Derek Roy (who "led" the team in points the past two seasons):

Connolly returned to the Sabres lineup on January 9th 2009.

Derek Roy recorded 31 points in the rest of that season, and 69 this previous season.

Tim Connolly scored 40 points in the rest of that season, and 65 this previous season.

At the very least, TC has outscored our top point scorer since his return to the lineup.

I'm still not buying his jersey.

I like the way you wrote "led" for Derek Roy, like he didn't. That gave me a chuckle. Kinda like how Mair "had more points" than Gray Cloud in the playoffs.

i think he fits on this team just fine.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion. If "Connolly is great as a Sabre" is your opinion, I really think you should buy an asbestos suit. Or learn to drink heavily, so that when you run into your hero at Goodbar at 330am, you're prepared.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion. If "Connolly is great as a Sabre" is your opinion, I really think you should buy an asbestos suit. Or learn to drink heavily, so that when you run into your hero at Goodbar at 330am, you're prepared.

ha that was funny, i never said he was great, i said hes a good player and if you dont see that your blind.

I'm still not buying his jersey.

I like the way you wrote "led" for Derek Roy, like he didn't. That gave me a chuckle. Kinda like how Mair "had more points" than Gray Cloud in the playoffs.

i like how your defense is that your not buying his jersey. are you 3 years old? also mair had more points than half the team.

Archived