Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

Seriously I'm so sick of the whole Kovalchuk thing, and I'm sure most of you are as well. It's been such a boring off-season and even though Buffalo obviously isn't in on Ilya, all this trade hype (Kaberle, Gagne, Sharp, Soupy, etc) supposedly being 'held up' by Kovalchuk is intriguing. Even if Buffalo doesn't make anymore moves, at least we can see where some of these names are going.

Mikko Koivu signs a 7 year extension in Minnesot.

Koivu's deal is 7 yrs $47.25 million. $6.75 AAV, no-trade, 5 signing bonuses throughout. Richest deal in wild history per Russo

What on earth has Mikkoi ever done to deserve that? He must have pictures of the GM with a dead girl or a live boy.

Makes pommers look like a bargain!

What on earth has Mikkoi ever done to deserve that? He must have pictures of the GM with a dead girl or a live boy.

Look at these stats. This makes Darcy look like a master negotiator!

--- Regular Season --- ---- Playoffs ----

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2000-01 TPS Turku FNL 21 0 1 1 2 -- -- -- -- --

2001-02 TPS Turku FNL 48 4 3 7 34 8 0 3 3 4

2002-03 TPS Turku FNL 37 7 13 20 20 7 2 2 4 6

2003-04 TPS Turku FNL 45 6 24 30 36 13 1 7 8 8

2004-05 Houston Aeros AHL 67 20 28 48 47 5 1 0 1 2

2005-06 Minnesota Wild NHL 64 6 15 21 40 -- -- -- -- --

2006-07 Minnesota Wild NHL 82 20 34 54 58 5 1 0 1 4

2007-08 Minnesota Wild NHL 57 11 31 42 42 6 4 1 5 4

2008-09 Minnesota Wild NHL 79 20 47 67 66 -- -- -- -- --

2009-10 Minnesota Wild NHL 80 22 49 71 50 -- -- -- -- --

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NHL Totals 362 79 176 255 256 11 5 1 6 8

Smyth to Penguins? (e5)

According to my sources within the Los Angeles Kings organization, the Pittsburgh Penguins are willing to part with C Sidney Crosby, a 5th round pick, a bucket of fried chicken to obtain the services of LW Ryan Smyth. Remember, you heard it here first!

My link

Smyth to Penguins? (e5)

According to my sources within the Los Angeles Kings organization, the Pittsburgh Penguins are willing to part with C Sidney Crosby, a 5th round pick, a bucket of fried chicken to obtain the services of LW Ryan Smyth. Remember, you heard it here first!

My link

That's awesome!

Then do we see Philly start talking to Kovalchuk?

Philly has to make a move or two before the season just to get below the cap, so while theoretically possible, I don't see this happening. It does put the NYI in a better negotiating position.

I really dislike bologna (baloney? Oscar Mayer, not Myers, told us it's b-o-l-o-g-n-a) - one of only a handful of meats that I dislike that also includes corned beef - but it is tolerable when fried (much like SPAM) and the cheese would probably help, too. Of course, I also prefer white hots to red hots (which are closer to bologna.)

I'm with you on bologna but am outraged at your stance on corned beef. Warm it up in the toaster oven and serve it on fresh or toasted rye bread (with seeds) with brown mustard. Or make like Caligula and have the Reuben. But it can't not be part of the sandwich meat environment.

Mikko is a better player than Pommer, but that is pretty pricey.

Don't forget that Mikko is a top-line, play-making center, rather than a winger. As we are well aware, those are very hard to come by. His numbers are on the way up and he's at 0.89 PPG. He's had 45+ assists for two straight years. Last year, he also won 57% of faceoffs (you want your top line starting with possession and you can't put guys like Gaustad on your top line.) While not extremely physical, he isn't as soft as Pommer and is bigger. He's also a leader, who they just named permanent Captain. Like Pommer, he plays on the PK and PP, and is defensively responsible. Frankly, I'd still trade Pommer and picks/prospects for Mikko even with his current contract.

I'm with you on bologna but am outraged at your stance on corned beef. Warm it up in the toaster oven and serve it on fresh or toasted rye bread (with seeds) with brown mustard. Or make like Caligula and have the Reuben. But it can't not be part of the sandwich meat environment.

I can eat it, but I just don't care for it. Not sure what it is, but the flavor just isn't something that I like. Pretty much any other cut/style of beef is just fine with me, though.

Don't forget that Mikko is a top-line, play-making center, rather than a winger. As we are well aware, those are very hard to come by. His numbers are on the way up and he's at 0.89 PPG. He's had 45+ assists for two straight years. Last year, he also won 57% of faceoffs (you want your top line starting with possession and you can't put guys like Gaustad on your top line.) While not extremely physical, he isn't as soft as Pommer and is bigger. He's also a leader, who they just named permanent Captain. Like Pommer, he plays on the PK and PP, and is defensively responsible. Frankly, I'd still trade Pommer and picks/prospects for Mikko even with his current contract.

So he's a Tim Connolly clone who can actually win a few faceoffs! I can't believe the apathy on this board, I expected everyone to lose it! If a guy with these stats, perennial 20 goal 70 point guy, is worth seven years at 6.75, then the cap had better go up a lot next year. If these stats are worth 6.75x7, then Darcy is a much better gm than we give him credit for. And this guy is only a first line center in Minnesota or on any team coached by Jacques Lemaire.

I wouldn't say he's on the way up, he appears to have reached his full potential. A good player? Yes. Worth 6.75 for 7 years? NFW.

Speaking of food, there's a tweetthread going down now about cupcakes. People from all over saying what team or players' cupcake would be made of.

http://twitter.com/#...=%23nhlcupcakes

Sheldon Souray cupake: Falls apart as soon as you take the wrapper off.

The San Jose Sharks: Loaded with tons of potential, but always causes you to choke at the worst time

The Canadiens Cupcake- used a burning car as an oven

The Chicago Cupcake:Now can be found in Atlanta bakeries.

The Eklund Cupcake: Convinces you you're eating a cupcake and turns out to be urinal cake

:lol: Well played! :thumbsup:

So he's a tim connoly clone who can actually win a few faceoffs! I can't believe the apathy on this board, I expected everyone to lose it!. If a guy with these stats, perrenial 20 goal 70 point guy, is worth seven years at 6.75, then the cap had better go up a lot next year. If these stats are worth 6.75x7, then Darcy is a much better gm than we give him credit for. And this guy is only a first line center in Minnesota or on any team coached by Jacques lemaire.

I wouldn't say he's on the way up, he appears to have reached his full potential. A good player? Yes. Worth 6.75 for 7 years? NFW.

I'd take Connolly over this bum any day.

Smyth to Penguins? (e5)

My link

Send this link to Ecklund... see if he will print it. P.S. We should start a hockey blog a la the Onion and the Ed Sullivan show... the more fictitious and or ridiculous the better.

This link could be embeded. But with everyone here, we could come up with plenty on our own.

Are you on drugs?

I have GOT to meet his dealer! As much as I hate this contract for what it does to the league (this is the new benchmark in all labor negotiations), I would take Koivu over Connolly any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Are you on drugs?

Yes, but there's reason to my madness. Since the lockout Connolly has played 234 games -- disappointing injury wise, I know, but he's recorded 208 points in those games. Koivo, meanwhile, has recorded 255 points in 362 games. For the less fortunate, that means that Timmy would have to play around 100 games without recording a point to lower his PPG to Koivu's level. Points-per-game wise, I would bet that Connolly is top on the team since the lockout, maybe second to Derek Roy (haven't checked the stats for him).

You guys will sit here and tear me apart for it, but I don't care -- It's quite obvious that Connolly is one of the more talented players on the team when healthy. Anyone who says otherwise either doesn't watch the games, or is simply saying that because some of the long time, more respected posters here have established that as the norm, and nobody wants to sound "crazy" (like they're on drugs ;) ) by giving the dude his fair share of credit. He's come back from multiple concussions and continues to produce more consistently than anybody on the team. He had a terrible playoff (along with everybody else in a Sabres uniform), but I think it's been established that he was playing injured-- It sucks, things happen. He's not a hard nosed, gritty type of player, that's just not his game (and can you blame him after what he's been through?) -- it's not like Mikko Koivu throws his body around either.

Now that Timmy has made it through most of a season, I think he can only take a step forward. Am I saying Connolly should earn $6+ mil a year? No ###### way. But would I rather have Connolly @ 4.5 on my team than Koivu @ 6.5 (or 4.5 for that matter). Koivu probably has the upper hand in the faceoff circle, I can't argue that. But when Connolly plays, he is often the best Sabre on the ice. This was especially true two seasons ago when he played 48 games and still almost eclipsed the 20 goal mark. Everybody had a down year last season. We'll see what happens this year, but if Timmy remains a Sabre there is no doubt he will be towards the top of the team in points, AGAIN.

Yes, but there's reason to my madness. Since the lockout Connolly has played 234 games -- disappointing injury wise, I know, but he's recorded 208 points in those games. Koivo, meanwhile, has recorded 255 points in 362 games. Points-per-game wise, I would bet that Connolly is top on the team since the lockout, maybe second to Derek Roy (haven't checked the stats for him).

You guys will sit here and tear me apart for it, but I don't care -- It's quite obvious that Connolly is one of the more talented players on the team when healthy. Anyone who says otherwise either doesn't watch the games, or is simply saying that because some of the long time, more respected posters here have established that as the norm, and nobody wants to sound "crazy" (like they're on drugs ;) ) by giving the dude his fair share of credit. He's come back from multiple concussions and continues to produce more consistently than anybody on the team. He had a terrible playoff (along with everybody else in a Sabres uniform), but I think it's been established that he was playing injured-- It sucks, things happen. He's not a hard nosed, gritty type of player, that's just not his game (and can you blame him after what he's been through?) -- it's not like Mikko Koivu throws his body around either.

Now that Timmy has made it through most of a season, I think he can only take a step forward. Am I saying Connolly should earn $6+ mil a year? No ###### way. But would I rather have Connolly @ 4.5 on my team than Koivu @ 6.5 (or 4.5 for that matter). Koivu probably has the upper hand in the faceoff circle, I can't argue that. But when Connolly plays, he is often the best Sabre on the ice. This was especially true two seasons ago when he played 48 games and still almost eclipsed the 20 goal mark. Everybody had a down year last season. We'll see what happens this year, but if Timmy remains a Sabre there is no doubt he will be towards the top of the team in points, AGAIN.

No one is saying that TC isn't talented or productive when healthy. However, in each of Koivu's last 2 years, he put up more points than TC ever has in a season in his career -- and TC has been in the NHL for 8 seasons (plus the one he only played 2 games in). Koivu is also a really good faceoff man and a team captain. I would trade TC for him in a heartbeat.

I too would've liked to have seen what TC would've done in the playoffs last year if he'd been healthy. But that's kinda the point -- relying on TC to stay healthy is just foolish, and DR should not have put this team in that position AGAIN.

Archived