Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

I too agree, no team is going to touch that contract without some salary going back.

Chz mentioned a 3 way as a possible sceniario. Interesting, but who would be the threesome partner?

I'm going to guess Veins Treatment Center and Center for Excessive Sweating

I too agree, no team is going to touch that contract without some salary going back.

Chz mentioned a 3 way as a possible sceniario. Interesting, but who would be the threesome partner?

I might as well point out the hilarity of the bolded statement before someone beats me to it.

Anyway, guessing who would get involved in that is way too complicated. Anyway, if the teams did try to work something out, I think it would be far more likely that they'd stick to the two team deal and both would compromise a bit in terms of the contracts involved.

Darcy wasn't going to pay Campbell 7 million then, what makes anyone think he'll pay him now? and for another 5 season after that?

My thinking exactly. That ship has sailed.

Darcy wasn't going to pay Campbell 7 million then, what makes anyone think he'll pay him now? and for another 5 season after that?

That has to be one of the worst contracts of all time. It doesn't even reduce in salary as time goes on to make a buyout possible in the final years like many of the long term contracts.

I might as well point out the hilarity of the bolded statement before someone beats me to it.

Anyway, guessing who would get involved in that is way too complicated. Anyway, if the teams did try to work something out, I think it would be far more likely that they'd stick to the two team deal and both would compromise a bit in terms of the contracts involved.

Toronto? Burke wants a guy that's close to "Staffordesque" he'd only be paying a few prospects for him instead of taking on Campbell's contract, which would cost him more. I'd agree the Hawks may let Campbell go for some prospects/picks to most teams but to Toronto who IMO overpaid for Kessel would cost more.

Toronto only has 1-2 million in cap space, they couldn't take on Soupy, but Stafford could be a possibility.

It'll never happen, but on paper makes sense.

Seems to me that if one team gets screwed in the "I got back" category but gets what they want and in the end each team gets better but gives up something they really didn't need or had space for in the first place everybody wins.

I'm hoping it's a typo when you said that Toronto has the best defense in the conference. You wanted to say "in the division", right?

Yes, thank you for pointing that out.

Not a bad article at all Jack.

The only thing I differ on is the ranking, I actually put Ottawa in Montreals slot and Buffalo remains in the 3rd slot, but not by much in my opinion.

Otherwise, looks to be, for the most part, spot on.

Yeah, a lot of Montreal's depends on the Price contract... and even then, I feel that Halak would have been the better choice. Perhaps I've underrated Ottawa some, I just don't think they can generate much offense with really only two goal scorers. Kovalev can be dominant when he tries, but god awful when he doesn't seem focused. Even giving him the benefit of the doubt, I feel Buffalo's puny top six might be stronger offensively.

State of the North East: http://thesportsbuff.com/?p=344

Good read. One question, how long before we offend you and send you turtling like Hoppe? :wallbash:

Sorry if this crosses some line that I'm not aware of, but I just find it hilarious that someone could be so offended by anyone on this board (no offense :D ) as to not come back. I can find many othere reasons to not come back but that isn't one of them. :lol:

Good read. One question, how long before we offend you and send you turtling like Hoppe? :wallbash:

Sorry if this crosses some line that I'm not aware of, but I just find it hilarious that someone could be so offended by anyone on this board (no offense :D ) as to not come back. I can find many othere reasons to not come back but that isn't one of them. :lol:

Haha, did Hoppe really leave!? This is news to me! :doh: But no, you guys can tear me apart all you want, I've had my share of it back in 2006 when I tried telling everybody Afinogenov and Connolly were the best players on the team. :nana: I just write to write, I feel like it's a good way to combine my interest in writing/journalism and working with websites with my love for the Sabres. Some of you may have seen my last site, BuffaloPuck.com, which failed miserably and hasn't been updated since a month or two into last season -- Blogging is a much more manageable way to express my thoughts. Hopefully SDS doesn't mind me posting links from time to time.

I don't think Boston had a surplus of scoring, the additions of horton and seguin might actually give them a chance of scoring goals this season.

Maybe not a surplus of "scoring," but definitely enough solid players to roll three pretty good lines. Offensive depth ftw.

Sturm (76GP) - 22G 15A +14

Bergeron (73GP) - 19G 33A +6

Ryder (82GP) - 18G 15A +3

Krejci (79GP) - 17G 35A +8

Savard (41GP) - 10G 23A +2

not to mention if they're able to re-sign Wheeler (82GP) - 18G 20A -4

and I didn't realize at the time but Recchi contributed 18G and 25A as well.

That's seven potential 20+ goal scorers, and doesn't include the physical presence of Lucic (or Horton and potentially Sequin). Compared to Buffalo's five and the physical presence of glass-banging Kaleta (and potentially Niedermayer? lolol just kidding but he's the only addition we made up front.)

Maybe not a surplus of "scoring," but definitely enough solid players to roll three pretty good lines. Offensive depth ftw.

Sturm (76GP) - 22G 15A +14

Bergeron (73GP) - 19G 33A +6

Ryder (82GP) - 18G 15A +3

Krejci (79GP) - 17G 35A +8

Savard (41GP) - 10G 23A +2

not to mention if they're able to re-sign Wheeler (82GP) - 18G 20A -4

and I didn't realize at the time but Recchi contributed 18G and 25A as well.

That's seven potential 20+ goal scorers, and doesn't include the physical presence of Lucic (or Horton and potentially Sequin). Compared to Buffalo's five and the physical presence of glass-banging Kaleta (and potentially Niedermayer? lolol just kidding but he's the only addition we made up front.)

Savard and Ryder are constantly subjects of rumors of being shipped out to free up cap space. That would thin out that "potential 20+ scorer" pool. The thing I find a bit strange with this comparison though is that you're crediting Boston for having potential scorers while putting Buffalo down for having ACTUAL 20+ goal scorers.

Savard and Ryder are constantly subjects of rumors of being shipped out to free up cap space. That would thin out that "potential 20+ scorer" pool. The thing I find a bit strange with this comparison though is that you're crediting Boston for having potential scorers while putting Buffalo down for having ACTUAL 20+ goal scorers.

It would thin out the potential 20+ scorer pool, yes, and while I don't see Ryder getting a whole lot in return, Savard would at least fetch a promising prospect, young NHLer w/ potential (Filatov?), or a high draft pick. They could add another 20-goal scorer for all we know, or, they could stand pat and not move anybody. Savard's name is always tossed around, but nothing has happened yet. I think they'll be more concerned with moving Thomas than Savard at this point.

I'm not putting Buffalo down for having actual 20 goal scorers, I'm putting them down for only having four of them. Four players capable of scoring 20 goals, out of 12 forwards? Woo, that's promising! Boston had seven (and now have nine) players who are capable of scoring 20. That's a much more spread out, balanced offense, in my opinion. I know not all of those players actually recorded 20 goals, but 18 is close enough for me. A few more games and they may have hit 20. Buffalo had four players with more than 20, and then Connolly with 17, Stafford with 14. I'll be lenient and give Connolly 20+ potential, but Stafford would not have scored 6 more goals in the 11 games he missed/was sat.

From Jesse Rogers, ESPN Chicago blog:

NHL sources say the Hawks are listening to offers for Patrick Sharp and are actively trying to move Brian Campbell. Campbell’s salary and partial no-trade clause make him a hard man to trade.

After the Hjalmarrson signing, the second part is even more of a "duh" statement, but they're again listening to offers for Sharp (if they ever stopped). Sharp will be heavily sought, so even with a team willing to overpay and the huge cap problems they have, he'll be tough to land (likely impossible for the DR, assuming he'd even try). Chicago fans are desperate to keep this guy, and the 'Hawks could let Niemi go, but they still have a ton of roster slots to fill and are right at the cap. It can be done.

From Jesse Rogers, ESPN Chicago blog:

After the Hjalmarrson signing, the second part is even more of a "duh" statement, but they're again listening to offers for Sharp (if they ever stopped). Sharp will be heavily sought, so even with a team willing to overpay and the huge cap problems they have, he'll be tough to land (likely impossible for the DR, assuming he'd even try). Chicago fans are desperate to keep this guy, and the 'Hawks could let Niemi go, but they still have a ton of roster slots to fill and are right at the cap. It can be done.

In order to move Soupy, they are going to have to pony up either Sharp or Bolland as well.

No team is going to take that albatrose of a contract without sending something back as well.

To Buffalo:

Brian Campbell ($7.143 x 6 yrs)

Patrick Sharp ($3.9 x 2 yrs)

or

David Bolland ($3.375 x 4)

1st rd pick 2011

4th rd pick 2011

To Chicago:

Tim Connolly ($4.5 x 1 yr)

Drew Stafford ($1.9 x 1 yr)

Roughly frees up $4.642 (if Sharp) or $4.118 (if Bolland) for the season and adds a center and winger. Plus, both of these players are UFA's, they have the option to resign them or free up even more space.

The draft picks have to be included to offset that massive contract length on Soupy.

Buffalo needs a puck moving Dman, after reviewing Myers signing situation and our up and coming Defensemen and who is coming off the books, this deal could very well be done.

Thoughts.

I agree that for a team to take on the skating tomato's salary, Chicago is going to need to give something up. Something, or some things, big. But I don't see Sharp and Campbell being moved together.

I really just don't see Campbell being moved at all. Just looking at him in and of itself, his contract is just a beast. Even if you clear other space to take him on, it still limits you in the future and is almost untenable. And IMO, while a good player and good guy, he isn't worth that much money. Even the Islanders, with their needs and huge cap space (they still need to spend more to get to the floor), are balking at that contract (according to some ESPN Chicago reports).

Once Campbell is moved, Chicago has the flexibility they need to fill out their roster, sign Niemi, etc. So I don't see him being involved with a Sharp move. The key for me is not even broaching the Campbell topic. If no other team even ventures down that road (which appears likely), it keeps tremendous pressure on Chicago to do something else (especially with Campbell's no-trade clause). A savvy GM can utilize that pressure to his advantage to make a deal.

It's all fantasy with our front office, but that's my take. I know that if Sharp is moved, LA or NYI are the most likely spots, but personally I'd make a run at him if it's at all workable.

It would thin out the potential 20+ scorer pool, yes, and while I don't see Ryder getting a whole lot in return, Savard would at least fetch a promising prospect, young NHLer w/ potential (Filatov?), or a high draft pick. They could add another 20-goal scorer for all we know, or, they could stand pat and not move anybody. Savard's name is always tossed around, but nothing has happened yet. I think they'll be more concerned with moving Thomas than Savard at this point.

I'm not putting Buffalo down for having actual 20 goal scorers, I'm putting them down for only having four of them. Four players capable of scoring 20 goals, out of 12 forwards? Woo, that's promising! Boston had seven (and now have nine) players who are capable of scoring 20. That's a much more spread out, balanced offense, in my opinion. I know not all of those players actually recorded 20 goals, but 18 is close enough for me. A few more games and they may have hit 20. Buffalo had four players with more than 20, and then Connolly with 17, Stafford with 14. I'll be lenient and give Connolly 20+ potential, but Stafford would not have scored 6 more goals in the 11 games he missed/was sat.

I have you say, your whole analysis here makes very little sense. Since you're basing all of this off of numbers they scored last year, you're missing the most obvious stat of all. No team in the entire NHL scored less goals than the Bruins last year. So ok, they have a group of guys all hovering in that 15-20 goal range. Where's the rest of the roster. That offense may have been more balanced, but then again, if you have an entire team of guys scoring 2 goals, that is also technically balanced.

And another minor point. If you're going to count a guy like Seguin in that potential category, you're going to have to include Ennis for Buffalo. You know, a guy who actually has NHL games and goals under his belt.

Archived