Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

...but that doesn't fill their voided roster of desperately needed bodies. With enough fringe NHLers on the Sabres roster, why not offer them up. Why on earth would they take Connolly?

Apparently, people around the league think the world of his potential (the Bill Watters interview comes to mind). If that's the case, let's move him for something, anything.

But I really would rather see Chicago die on its sword with that ridiculous Campbell deal. Only when that starts to happen, will we see a reduction in crazy deals that deprive good teams of good but not great players. NHL: hang strong. Make Chicago keep Campbell; make New York keep Intangible.

I'm thinking they are ripe for the picking now. They are 100k below the cap with 4 forwards, 2 dman and a backup goalie to sign.

Campbell, Sharp 1st round pick

Stafford, Gerbe, Roy, Butler, Gragnani

a man can dream can't he...they gain 3-4 million in cap space, get bodies to fill out their roster.

Sabres get puck handling Dman they need. A little more grit up the the middle. Maybe I'm crazy.

I'm down with Sharp, but Campbell? Pfft, why, so he can fire another puck over the glass for a delay of game penalty in the third period of a Game 7? No, I'm really just kidding, but I will never forgive him for that mistake!! :censored: :angry:

It'd be an interesting move, and suddenly we go from having zero cup winners to three in the locker room. I just don't know. Then we're the ones stuck with Campbell's ridiculous salary.

...but that doesn't fill their voided roster of desperately needed bodies. With enough fringe NHLers on the Sabres roster, why not offer them up. Why on earth would they take Connolly?

Why on earth did the Sabres re-sign Connolly? Any conversation on Regier being fired should begin and end right there. For the masochists out there, if that is not enough add in $10.5 million for Rivet over three years?

I'm down with Sharp, but Campbell? Pfft, why, so he can fire another puck over the glass for a delay of game penalty in the third period of a Game 7? No, I'm really just kidding, but I will never forgive him for that mistake!! :censored: :angry:

It'd be an interesting move, and suddenly we go from having zero cup winners to three in the locker room. I just don't know. Then we're the ones stuck with Campbell's ridiculous salary.

Campbell is a puck moving D Man, and I'll never forget that hit on Umberger.

I guess it comes down to the following question:

Is Brian Campbell at 31 years old worth $7,142,875 for the next 6 seasons?

With the salary cap increasing in 1.5 to 2 million increments, my belief is yes, yes it is worth it. Its worth it because of the draft picks that will come with him along with 1 of Bolland or Sharp at very reasonable contracts. Ya, I'd eat that, and as I have stated, the Sabres are in a good position to do so.

They would have to eat Connolly and Stafford, buy hey, fair is fair for that albatrose of a contract Campbell has.

I liked Brian when he was here, smooth skating dman.

Campbell is a puck moving D Man, and I'll never forget that hit on Umberger.

I guess it comes down to the following question:

Is Brian Campbell at 31 years old worth $7,142,875 for the next 6 seasons?

Putting it like that makes me really leery...If I knew more about buyout options I might feel better.

Knowing Darcy...especially on the heels of his handouts for Kovy gesture, he wouldn't consider taking on that contract under any circumstances. Even more so considering the lack of value in Vanek's contract.

Putting it like that makes me really leery...If I knew more about buyout options I might feel better.

Knowing Darcy...especially on the heels of his handouts for Kovy gesture, he wouldn't consider taking on that contract under any circumstances. Even more so considering the lack of value in Vanek's contract.

Didn't he say in one of his pressers that he could be willing to pick up a big contract in a trade?

Well ink, I am looking at from both organizations prespectives.

No way Darcy gives up that much depth in forwards, especially since we already lack.

But the d men we can give, so I'll amend the Sabres to include Sekera or Butler (preferably Butler).

In that case, I would require the 3rd rd pick in 2012 as well as the 2nd rd pick.

As for the bodies needed by Chicago. Giving them the 4.5 mil in cap space and they can sign 3 forwards with it I am sure.

They're not going to take any NHL guys in return. They've added nothing but prospects other than Reasoner, who has a really cheap contract. They've got guys young like Stalberg from the Versteeg deal and Jack Skille who are going to step into the gaps. If they do wind up moving Campbell, they may have the space on the blue line for a Sekera or Butler though.

Didn't the replay show that it went off the glass or boards and shouldn't have been a penalty? Or am I thinking of a different one of those? Was there one with Teppo?

I'd take Campbell back. Just sayin. I don't hate the guy as much as some people seem to. Is he overpriced? Sure. But why not take the gamble?

If the compensation package is fair enough for that contract of his, sure, I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

Sharp or Bolland, 1st and 3rd rd picks 2011 draft and 2nd rd and 3rd rd picks in 2012.

They get Connolly, Stafford and Butler/Sekera.

Do they give up a little? You bet, to expect some team to man handle that contract of Campbells its going to cost them. But they would get 4.5 to 5 mil in freed up cap space.

Buffalo gets a puck moving d man, a good forward and draft picks.

Campbell $7,143,000 mil (6yrs)

Leopold $3,000,000 mil (3yrs)

Myers $1,300,000 mil (2yrs)

Rivet $3,500,000 mil (1yrs)

Montador $1,550,000 mil (1yrs)

Sekera $1,000,000 mil (1yrs)

Butler $ 850,000 (1yrs)

Weber Qualifying offer ?

We bring in Campbell this season and ship either Butler or Sekera out (preferably Butler).

Next season, with Rivet and Montador off the books that looks to be a minimum of 5.9 mil to 6.050 mil freed up. And Myers would still be under contract for that year. Darcy will resign Myers before he hits RFA to be sure. We can speculate for what, same as Weber after his 1 year qualifying offer is up.

Campbell $7,143,000 mil (5yrs)

Leopold $3,000,000 mil (2yrs)

Myers $1,300,000 mil (1yrs)

Sekera $1,250,000 mil ? (3yrs?) If still here

Butler $1,250,000 mil ? (3yrs?) If still here

Weber $1,250,000 mil ? (3yrs?) If resigned

Brennan or Gragnani on qualifying offer as well?

The point is, it can be done. Obviously alot of speculation on the young kids and their contracts and destiny, but they are cheap and could play well for Buffalo. By the time Myers signs we only 1 year left of Leopold. So, Campbell can be brought in along with another player.

But, that is a lengthy contract at a hefty price. I have no doubt Campbell would make the Sabres better. If Darcy played his cards right he could have a contender here for a few years.

Darcy wasn't going to pay Campbell 7 million then, what makes anyone think he'll pay him now? and for another 5 season after that?

I don't believe anyone thinks he will. More to the discussion would be if it can be done with that contract.

If the compensation package is fair enough for that contract of his, sure, I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

Sharp or Bolland, 1st and 3rd rd picks 2011 draft and 2nd rd and 3rd rd picks in 2012.

They get Connolly, Stafford and Butler/Sekera.

So -- you want Chicago to give us Sharp, Soupy, a 1st, a 2nd and 2 3rds in exchange for TC, Stafford and Butler/Sekera and $4MM in cap space.

I want to ask whether you are on drugs, but I don't think even that captures the utter whacked-out-ness of this proposal.

Why, in a million years, would Chicago do this?

They can just send Soupy to the minors and there's $7.1MM of cap space right there -- without giving up Sharp plus a bunch of high draft picks.

So -- you want Chicago to give us Sharp, Soupy, a 1st, a 2nd and 2 3rds in exchange for TC, Stafford and Butler/Sekera and $4MM in cap space.

I want to ask whether you are on drugs, but I don't think even that captures the utter whacked-out-ness of this proposal.

They can just send Soupy to the minors and there's $7.1MM of cap space right there -- without giving up Sharp plus a bunch of high draft picks.

Campbell would have to clear waivers first to be sent down. The contract is rough but someone would most likely claim him. Chicago's in a tough spot, but they probably aren't willing to give him away for nothing in return.

What?

"IF" a deal can be hammered out, do you not have your coke bottle bottom glasses on? Have you seen that contract of Soupy's?

I mean, really man, have you? Just over 7 mil FOR 6 MORE YEARS!!!!!

And you honestly believe, I mean you do, right, you honestly believe a strong compensation package would not be due in tandom for taking on that contract?

I won't even bother to ask the drug question.

Campbell would have to clear waivers first to be sent down. The contract is rough but someone would most likely claim him. Chicago's in a tough spot, but they probably aren't willing to give him away for nothing in return.

Not sure someone would claim him, but either way, he'd be off their cap. My point was simply that this would be a much cheaper way of accomplishing the goal of creating cap space than the "trade" proposed by Static.

What?

"IF" a deal can be hammered out, do you not have your coke bottle bottom glasses on? Have you seen that contract of Soupy's?

I mean, really man, have you? Just over 7 mil FOR 6 MORE YEARS!!!!!

And you honestly believe, I mean you do, right, you honestly believe a strong compensation package would not be due in tandom for taking on that contract?

I won't even bother to ask the drug question.

You are certainly right that Soupy's contract is onerous. But why not just waive him? Isn't that a much less costly way for them to create cap space -- and more cap space than in your proposed trade?

Do you think Chicago giving up Sharp plus all of those picks in order to get someone to take Soupy is more or less realistic than Carolina trading Staal?

If they need the space, Soupy's at the top of the list because he gives them the most cap space and they wouldn't have to pay him 7mill to play in the minors. I think Chicago would accept a couple of prospects for Soupy.

Not sure someone would claim him, but either way, he'd be off their cap. My point was simply that this would be a much cheaper way of accomplishing the goal of creating cap space than the "trade" proposed by Static.

You are certainly right that Soupy's contract is onerous. But why not just waive him? Isn't that a much less costly way for them to create cap space -- and more cap space than in your proposed trade?

Do you think Chicago giving up Sharp plus all of those picks in order to get someone to take Soupy is more or less realistic than Carolina trading Staal?

I believe if Darcy offered the right package, they could get Soupy and 1 of Bolland or Sharp.

Now, I will submit to you nfreeman, that perhaps the draft picks were a bit much in as far as the amount combined with round. But, I am under the impression they would like to fill out there roster a bit, and with cheaper help as opposed to the medium expense type players.

Connolly is the dump back to them for Soupy, 1 year left at a reasonable 4.5 mil. Plus the 1st and 3rd rounder.

I mean, Come on nfreeman, 6 years at 7.143 mil, that is alot to take on, the 1st and 3rd along with a follow up draft pick, ok, maybe not a second rounder, maybe a 4th rounder are the compensation for the length and that appears to be very well balanced.

As for Sharp/Bolland, they are a partial enticer to take Soupy, and Stafford along with one of Sekera/Butler can be the off setter here.

I think your point is taken, large draft pick package and all, but in all reality, to get 2 contracts ending at the end of the season (Connolly, Stafford) and get rid of Soupy along with bringing in a young d man with potential (Butler or Sekera) is well worth it for Chicago.

On Buffalo's end, ya, you take that contract, but you need a puck moving dman anyways and he already played with Buffalo.

You get one of Sharp or Bolland, both of which can play center in place of Connolly and some draft picks for the future.

Not a bad trade off considering 2 of your d men can come off the books next season and you have a well stocked farm of young talent.

Myers contract shouldn't be a problem considering the rotation of youth and you may even be able to make a run at the Cup for a couple of seasons given the 1.5 to 2 million seasonal incremental raise the salary cap has been seeing. This leaves you enough to sign your young forwards as well.

By the time Soupy's contract is finishing up, you are ready to resign 2 or 3 of the younger forwards to real longterm contracts as well as 1 or 2 of your young stud D men.

Looks like a win/win to me.

I liked Campbell when he was here and knew his talents would be in demand, but then I heard about the money he was seeking and about how the market was catering to this estimation. I laughed then and I laugh now at his contract. I agree that it's going to take a lot on Chicago's part to dump off that behemoth of a contract, but I just don't see it as a realistic option for the Sabres. Aside from the give-and-take between the two teams, I just don't see Campbell as worth that much, even if you could fit that contract into the team framework. Now if Sharp were dangled as an option, then that would intrigue me, though I just don't see that happening.

The biggest reason precluding this sort of deal (in my mind, though probably not in the DR's mind) is the thought of what you could do with the very money you'd be paying Campbell. Like I said, IMO Campbell's game, which is still very good, just doesn't warrant that kind of money. But there are others out there (talking RFAs and UFAs), today but mostly down the road, who could be worth that much. I'd rather make that money available to them, but that's just at first blush. I do like hashing out these scenarios, though.

If they need the space, Soupy's at the top of the list because he gives them the most cap space and they wouldn't have to pay him 7mill to play in the minors. I think Chicago would accept a couple of prospects for Soupy.

It's tricky. They won't want to take any money back in the deal, but a team that picks up Campbell would probably have to dump some money to make space for him. Both sides are going to have to cave a bit to make it work.

It's tricky. They won't want to take any money back in the deal, but a team that picks up Campbell would probably have to dump some money to make space for him. Both sides are going to have to cave a bit to make it work.

Maybe a three way deal? Hypothetically, say we send Stafford somewhere for picks and prospects and in turn send Hawks picks and /or prospects we just got for Campbell. That way the Hawks wouldn't be adding salary and we would just lose a few prospects. In a sense trading Stafford for Campbell.

I too agree, no team is going to touch that contract without some salary going back.

Chz mentioned a 3 way as a possible sceniario. Interesting, but who would be the threesome partner?

Not sure this belongs is a separate post, so as to avoid the thought errr... thread police, I am adding it here. What do people think about the remain free agents not named Ilya. Bleecher Reports give this evaluation http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b4V6D

If Darcy Regier were to pick up any two - or even any one - of the top four UFAs listed by the good folks mentioned above, I might be inclined to add Regier to my Christmas card list.

Alexander Frolov and Lee Stempniak are listed as the best of the still available forwards, and Andy Sutton and Willie Mitchell - mentioned on another thread on this site - are listed as the best of the still available defensemen. Imagine the addition of Frolov and Sutton to the Sabres' roster - a forward good for 30 goals and 70 points and a defenseman good for rattling the chops of opposing players.

Darcy, you still have time - and cap space - to make it happen.

Archived